Page 29 of 80 FirstFirst ... 19 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 39 79 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by MOBILEMERCMAN View Post
    ]QUOTE]his is a true story. The SVL's started 1st we were not getting pressured so we were running next to 2nd place. The f1's came by at an amazing pace. I wicked it all the way up and could run with them maybe a little more. I was very surprised at the pace that race was going. I talked with Mike A. Paul A. Mike T. after that race and said F1 has too much power we have to do something.
    We were always fast as an SVL team in the rough water and we had a good setup that day. The fact of the matter is the extra 250lbs and lower X dimensions and lack of canopy did not slow them down in the rough water.
    They appeared to be running 80-81MPH at the front of the pack in very pronounced 3-4' seas.

Steve
    The extra weight and lower x helped them in those conditions. Besides that they must have wanted it more.

This is a first "They passed me in a lower class we need to slow them down."[/QUOTE]

Well that was my job.

They were running very hard and the extra weight and power was driving the speeds up in the rough water. I won my share of F1 races. These guys were really on the edge of getting hurt. I think one of the Lavey guys could not fly home because of his injuries.

The moral of the story was the class got too fast for the equipment. The few guys that could hang it out did just that. The show would have been just as good 5 MPH slower and much safer. The F class boats had the same power as Super V and V lite and that was a mistake.
    Steve
    Last edited by Steve Miklos; 06-09-2009 at 11:57 AM.

2. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunbar 104 View Post
    In most every other form of motorsport racer evolve from a daily driver to a fully prepared race only vehicles over time. Who went from F1 to SVL, Randy who else? Where did everyone else go? Or is it just nobody wants to race with Randy.
    I went from B class to F1 to SVL
    Steve

3. Collapse Details

Founding Member/Contributor Sean Stinson's Avatar
    That could be the issue!!!!!!
    God forgives.....The 1% doesn't!!!!!!

4. Collapse Details

I raced F1 (2) years and then went to SVL (last year of the big motor). Solarized #33 was fast as we won 1st overall in St Pete!

5. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor Dunbar 104's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by THEJOKER View Post
    I raced F1 (2) years and then went to SVL (last year of the big motor). Solarized #33 was fast as we won 1st overall in St Pete!
    Big motor is that the hp525, or old 510ci carb motor?

6. Collapse Details

Why hasn't SVL taken off like F1? Its safe, affordable, dependable. Bad timming?
    Boycott and OSS.

7. Collapse Details

Big motor is that the hp525, or old 510ci carb motor?
    I am sure Brian will correct me if I'm wrong, but what I think he is referring to is what is better known as A class
    www.tntoffshore.com

"El Racing boat es una pasion que se lleva en la sangre"

8. Collapse Details

speaking of 'A' class...they never tried slowing those guys down and they had way more power than a f1 boat!
    Joe Skrocki
    Throttles
    JBS Racing

9. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by audacity View Post
    MD, i think you're misunderstanding me. or maybe not...my point is,,, what we keep trying is not working here in the USA.
    That's not altogether true... what has been tried in the USA in the past 6-8 years has not worked.... prior to that we were on to something and led the World.

Not interfering here...but...this conversation seems to be between the guys who have never been involved with a great sport and the guys who remember and know what it can be only to watch helplessly as the wheel is re-invented in a square shape.

T2x
    Allergic to Nonsense

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by T2x View Post
    That's not altogether true... what has been tried in the USA in the past 6-8 years has not worked.... prior to that we were on to something and led the World.

Not interfering here...but...this conversation seems to be between the guys who have never been involved with a great sport and the guys who remember and know what it can be only to watch helplessly as the wheel is re-invented in a square shape.

T2x
    yep, and we invented the mass automobile too...now look where the motor-city is.

mike a. and the apba llc was as close as it ever got!
    Joe Skrocki
    Throttles
    JBS Racing

11. Collapse Details

all the racers that started OSS to still be racing! lol

4 real...about 2-4 more john haggin's!!!
    Joe Skrocki
    Throttles
    JBS Racing

12. Collapse Details

Those wealthy guys that bought fast boats and big trucks and stuck their names on the side are now all at poker runs. And just like in the days gone by, they come and go after a few years of burning bushels of money and getting it out of their system.

13. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Those wealthy guys that bought fast boats and big trucks and stuck their names on the side are now all at poker runs. And just like in the days gone by, they come and go after a few years of burning bushels of money and getting it out of their system.
    With all due respect to John Haggin all the money guys have ever done is leave a big hole when they leave. The sport has to stand on its own two feet without one or two big spenders controlling the playing field. If Roger Penske and Rick Hendick controlled Nascar it would not be good. In fact, anyone with any interest or ownership of a race boat should have no involvement in controlling the sport.
    Allergic to Nonsense

14. Collapse Details

Founding Member/Contributor Sean Stinson's Avatar
    With all due respect to John Haggin all the money guys have ever done is leave a big hole when they leave. The sport has to stand on its own two feet without one or two big spenders controlling the playing field. If Roger Penske and Rick Hendick controlled Nascar it would not be good. In fact, anyone with any interest or ownership of a race boat should have no involvement in controlling the sport.
    Rich is correct you need a dictator to run it....As much as the racers love the sport they end up doing more damage than good....The problem is, is when one gets his twiddle in a diddle they go off kicking sand at the people that did twiddling...and fracture the sport which in turn leads to people hanging it up because they dont need the headache which in turn leads to sites that go away because it doesn't beneifit the site to have a race anymore!!!! But again I am just some stupid kid that had fun doing it and made a career out of it!!!!!
    God forgives.....The 1% doesn't!!!!!!

15. Collapse Details

Rich,

The sport cannot stand on its own, especially not now. Rather, it needs one big investor, either an individual or a group functioning as a single entity, and a focused business plan that will a) produce profits and thus dividends from business operations, or b) create a valuable commercial/media entity that one day can be sold for profit. As far as who the investor(s) is, well, unfortunately, beggars can't be choosers.

16. Collapse Details

racers should not make the rules as i have said.

if offshore racing is not heavily supported with tv...you have to bring it closer to the fans...we have neither in the usa! how can we entertain??????....it's the only question that needs to get answered right now!
    Joe Skrocki
    Throttles
    JBS Racing

17. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor MOBILEMERCMAN's Avatar
    That is a toss up. Fans on the beach or a real race with out many spectators. I personally would like it to be offshore as in the old days. With todays technology utilizing numerous cameras on boats and flying a great show could be produced.

In a real ocean race extreme boats have no advantage and excess power is often burdensome. Endurance is as important or more so than top speed.

It seems to be hard to have spectators and an offshore race.

18. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor MANITIE's Avatar
    In most every other form of motorsport racer evolve from a daily driver to a fully prepared race only vehicles over time. Who went from F1 to SVL, Randy who else? Where did everyone else go? Or is it just nobody wants to race with Randy.
    I'll take a shot at it for F1...alot of these guys were in it from 2000 to 2004

Team BRE Bofamonta (son) went back to racing cars...and took Dad with him
    Team Volocity...Steve K and Bob race the VR1 in select races
    Volocity....they race in P5 in SBI in select races...
    Activator...BJ no longer racers and Mark S dose not either
    Activator...Mark K races in J.D. Byrider in SC and I move to my Dragon
    Activator...Tiquila...both racers retired....
    Warlock.....retired Scotty B is in Gieco...
    Warlock...Richey Rich not racing anymore Ryan also race in some F1 races..now in SS
    Warlock..Allen C moved to SVL and now SS driver dose not race anymore
    Fountain..Trent still runs
    Fountain...Frank S runs in SV
    Fountain from Oh. retired
    Fountain from OH husband and wife...retired
    Fountain...Lute D. dose not race anymore..
    Fountain...Benny R is running in SV and Mitch M. retired
    Kryptonite...Randy move to SVL and Glenn races in Class 5 in OPA
    Formula...both racers retired
    Formula...both racers retired
    Pantara...Joey dose not race more

There are more out there...that I just can't remember...

I'm sure there is more but from what I can remember today there are about 17 - 19 F1 racers from 2000 to 2004 that still race today...
    Last edited by MANITIE; 06-09-2009 at 05:32 PM.

19. Collapse Details

we run as many cameras as 8 at a time and have all kinds of cool techno stuff. but, no ones buying it, then what good is it?

"With todays technology utilizing numerous cameras on boats and flying a great show could be produced."....we could but, we don't...so now what?

i want to do what i want...i want to do it when i feel like it...i don't want to have to test...i want to be part of making the rules....and by the way i want to win and get paid for it! lol
    Joe Skrocki
    Throttles
    JBS Racing

20. Collapse Details

the distance of a race course SHOULD ONLY GROW if the number of the boat in one class grows. on the other side of that...

if a fan comes to watch a "RACE"...u should never here one say:"here they come again",,,"who's racing who?",,,"what going on?"
    Joe Skrocki
    Throttles
    JBS Racing