Page 1 of 80 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    The Great Unification
    Do we pass up this opportunity to make a difference while we wait for the "Great Unification"?
    Someday we will all race under one banner for people we all respect who have rules in place we all agree upon. Thirty boats will compete in each of three classes and we will all have the time and sponsorship money to travel the continent end to end March to November.

Someday someone will lead us there and no one will be happier than me.

We can continue to wait or we can make the most of the deal SBI put together to show the world what we do.
    Millions of households will be seeing Offshore racing for the first time beginning this October. They don't care about what has been or what will be. SBI/OSS and OPA are meaningless to them. They will be entertained and "hooked" or they will not. Much of that choice is up to us. We have plenty of boats and we certainly have the personalities to make these programs successful. Will we be sorry if we don't?
    No doubt there are questions about these programs and their production , but if we like the answers why would those of us who can afford to participate not do so? Why would any boat with a sponsor not take advantage of this exposure? I am not minimizing or criticizing the efforts of those who are trying to improve Offshore.
    I would be curious to hear the reasons we as a group would not take this opportunity to help create the buzz we know Offshore can generate?

SQ

2. Collapse Details

One reason is that the groups involved, sanctioning (SBIP/APBA Offshore, OSS, OPA, POPRA, etc,) Team or boat owners, and the 'Gladiator' particapants themselves, haven't organized their perspectives. I read the history of the players union at this site:

http://mlbplayers.mlb.com/pa/info/history.jsp

It's obvious the fragmentation is sabotaging the sport. I even had one of the local business people in Clearwater, who is personally involved in the buzz we generated, say he was concerned this was a bunch of "BS" and might be like the wrestling clowns, staged acrobatics!

As a benefactor of organized labor myself, I realize what I'm suggesting is a huge undertaking, but look where it's working, MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA....

It's a process through progress, a particapants and owners association (OSS) that would qualify and license. That would negociate with credible sanctioning (SBIP / APBA Offshore as a national entity) and the regional sanctioning (OPA, POPRA....)

Just a thought,

Ray

3. Collapse Details

Founding Member/Contributor Sean Stinson's Avatar
    Hi Steve

To answer your question in a simple word....NO!!! It's a step in the right direction!!! The Great Unification is going to be a long drawn out process! I have some ideas that I am going to package together and present to the 3 orgs and as I stated before we (myself & the orgs) will be confronted with 2 scenarios 1) we will get together and race as a unified front or in steps to a unified front OR 2) we will continue down our current path!!!! It's that simple!

Now back to the TV deal I think that it needs to be capitalized upon and put the differences aside between the orgs....I don't know if any compromise will be made to OPA or OSS concerning fees and rules but I would hope that maybe something could be structured!!!! After all I think this might be one last shot at reviving our precious sport!!!!
    God forgives.....The 1% doesn't!!!!!!

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    One reason is that the groups involved, sanctioning (SBIP/APBA Offshore, OSS, OPA, POPRA, etc,) Team or boat owners, and the 'Gladiator' particapants themselves, haven't organized their perspectives. I read the history of the players union at this site:

http://mlbplayers.mlb.com/pa/info/history.jsp

It's obvious the fragmentation is sabotaging the sport. I even had one of the local business people in Clearwater, who is personally involved in the buzz we generated, say he was concerned this was a bunch of "BS" and might be like the wrestling clowns, staged acrobatics!

As a benefactor of organized labor myself, I realize what I'm suggesting is a huge undertaking, but look where it's working, MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA....

It's a process through progress, a particapants and owners association (OSS) that would qualify and license. That would negociate with credible sanctioning (SBIP / APBA Offshore as a national entity) and the regional sanctioning (OPA, POPRA....)

Just a thought,

Ray

Coach,
    You might have missed my point. We may not ever achieve your wish of unification. At least not on the level you are suggesting. We also might never get a chance like this CBS deal again.
    As for your "local businessman". Tell him that when CBS features Wrestling Clowns and Acrobats, that's what they get. At the moment they want Offshore Powerboat Racers. I suspect that's what they will get. Most of us are hoping this will be positive for our sport. I, the eternal optomist believe it could be much more.
    SQ

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Stinson View Post
    Hi Steve

To answer your question in a simple word....NO!!! It's a step in the right direction!!! The Great Unification is going to be a long drawn out process! I have some ideas that I am going to package together and present to the 3 orgs and as I stated before we (myself & the orgs) will be confronted with 2 scenarios 1) we will get together and race as a unified front or in steps to a unified front OR 2) we will continue down our current path!!!! It's that simple!

Now back to the TV deal I think that it needs to be capitalized upon and put the differences aside between the orgs....I don't know if any compromise will be made to OPA or OSS concerning fees and rules but I would hope that maybe something could be structured!!!! After all I think this might be one last shot at reviving our precious sport!!!!
    Sean,
    Thanks. I appreciate your efforts.
    SQ

6. Collapse Details

As JC has reminded everyone this weekend, about qualifying for the National Championship by participating at SBIP races this season, in at least 6 venues.... The door has been swung open for everyone to put aside differences, and jump on this 'TV' train! Participation assures everyone that the best teams are in attendance and in the competition... A single boat, in a category, racing against itself or the clock is an exhibition. This is the path to unification, register and compete! 'Gladiators We Salute You!'

7. Collapse Details

Competitor
    Well put Steve, if we as racers don't make this work we have no one but ourselves to blame. We are running out of excuses.

8. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor
    The season has already started for most teams and there schedual is in place. I wish that this deal was presented to us all last year and then maybe we could have tryed to work together better than we have. It is a great opertunity hands down! I understand you didnt want to anounce anything until it was in the bag but to spring it on us after your first race is bad timming in my opinion. Frank you keep saying its the tip of the iceburg,again if we dont know what the other 95% of the iceburg looks like then why and how can we get excited. If there is a master plan then lay it out there. It sounds like you are spoon feeding us bits of info. As Steve has posted lets not blow it!! Im afraid if you just sit back and wait to see who will show up we might miss the boat.
    All we know is there is 8 one hour shows on CBS. What classes are they showing? Are they looking for a race? How can we sell this to a potential sponsor? How much air time per class? How much of the one hour is racing? Whats the plan? Put this info in a press release please.
    MD

9. Collapse Details

Competitor
    Randy,
    I'm trying to get the info. out ASAP nothing will be released until it is done. People from CBS will be in Marathon and we should all have more info. The cable is still being worked out and as soon as it done I'll let you know the channels and times. Right now they r looking to run 3 different cable channels. Possible as many as 100 shows.
    It has been non stop conferance call this isnt something that is going to happen over nite.
    The Kilo is also in place and done, and as the rest falls into place I'll get it out there.
    Beleive me no one is trying to hold anything back.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by TYPHOON View Post
    The season has already started for most teams and there schedual is in place. I wish that this deal was presented to us all last year and then maybe we could have tryed to work together better than we have. It is a great opertunity hands down! I understand you didnt want to anounce anything until it was in the bag but to spring it on us after your first race is bad timming in my opinion. Frank you keep saying its the tip of the iceburg,again if we dont know what the other 95% of the iceburg looks like then why and how can we get excited. If there is a master plan then lay it out there. It sounds like you are spoon feeding us bits of info. As Steve has posted lets not blow it!! Im afraid if you just sit back and wait to see who will show up we might miss the boat.
    All we know is there is 8 one hour shows on CBS. What classes are they showing? Are they looking for a race? How can we sell this to a potential sponsor? How much air time per class? How much of the one hour is racing? Whats the plan? Put this info in a press release please.
    MD
    Well said, perfect questions... The details are critical for everyone, racers, venue communities, sponsors for each aspect.

11. Collapse Details

Let me throw this into the mix....Since the season has started already will any concessions be made to allow the other orgs to try and be involved as much as their schedules permit??? I remember back when I was racing heavily that to qualify for the worlds a team and boat had to have 2 or 3 starts....Now if you want to qualify you have to race 6 maybe a compromise could be reached regarding this?????

12. Collapse Details

I may be wrong, but I think the 6 races are to qualify for the national championship, not the worlds.

13. Collapse Details

Competitor
    The 6 races are for the National Championship, you still only need to race 2 races for the Worlds and with any Org. That was changes a few yrs back to allow teams that were running other Org. to be able to race KW.

14. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SVL66 View Post
    I may be wrong, but I think the 6 races are to qualify for the national championship, not the worlds.
    Quote Originally Posted by XtremeRacing View Post
    The 6 races are for the National Championship, you still only need to race 2 races for the Worlds and with any Org. That was changes a few yrs back to allow teams that were running other Org. to be able to race KW.
    That is real good to know........

Are the Worlds one of the 8 races to be televised for sure?
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

15. Collapse Details

I am sorry you guys are correct haven't had my morning heart attck in a cup yet!!!!

16. Collapse Details

Does anyone have an idea of a boat count for Marathon?????

17. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Stinson View Post
    I am sorry you guys are correct haven't had my morning heart attck in a cup yet!!!!
    what are you waiting for? I've had 4 20oz cups already

18. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor MANITIE's Avatar
    Randy...I see your point...but...remember in APBA when we were on the speed channel....we all did not know who was going to be on TV...it came down to the race and were the most exciting parts were to put the show together....remember...we in F1 had more air time then the SUPER Cats...I would think they would put the most exciting parts of racing in the show...

As far as pitching your sponsors...you will never be able to give your sponsors a garantee of air time....the best thing to do is to pitch your sponsors that the race you will be in will be aired on CBS....that needs to be your biggest pitch when appoaching your sponsors...National TV coverage...

Steve....great points that you have made....it may be awhile before everything comes together....but we the racers need to take the oppertunities that have been given to us to bring our sport into more and more homes...fan base is not just who attends the races....we the racers need to look at this as a oppertuinity for all Orgs and all racers....if this show ends up being successfull and brings in more fans...that helps out every Org....not just SBI/APBA...

19. Collapse Details

Competitor
    It will air on Saturday afternoons so we have a great time slot.

20. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by SVL66 View Post
    what are you waiting for? I've had 4 20oz cups already
    Ok I am better now....

Heart Attack in a cup is as follows

4 shots of espresso
    8 packs sugar in the raw
    1 spinner
    Spin it hard as you drink it