Page 2 of 80 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 52 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

LOL!

2. Collapse Details

Ok, I can't possibly answer all the e-mails I have received. Let me just clarify a few things. I have not had a phone conversation with JC so far this year. I don't have any inside information other than what I learned in Miami.
    I am anything but SBI's spokesman. As a matter of fact I have had plenty of public disagreements with them. I have been in and around all kinds boatracing longer than most people reading this have been alive.
    I have never seen bigger potential or a bigger cluster mess than Offshore. I can assure you the glorious future of the "sport we love" will be engineered by minds far sharper than mine.

But I know a fast horse when I see one and I know when opportunity knocks you might want to answer. If this thing breaks as big as it is beginning to look like it will, everything will change. The changes won't be decided by us or even John Carbonnell. Motorsports experts who track the viewing habits and preferences of thier viewers will dictate what will happen next. I suspect many of the changes we have all discussed on these boards will happen.......overnight.

You can use this discussion to rehash the merits of profit versus non profit boatracing. You can bring up old grudges and slights. You can cling to your ideas of a bright racing future and "The Great Unification" and I hope someday it happens. Or you can do what Lee and I (Team Lowest Budget) are doing. We are going to rally for as long as it takes to see what this really is about. We have the equipment and gas money and we love to race. What else do you need? If it's real we won't have to take it to the next level, we will be taken to the next level.

SQ

3. Collapse Details

Competitor
    Steve Quick for President.

4. Collapse Details

Hey Guys,

Here is some food for thought. Have been having some discussions with friends who run the WPPA (oversee Class 1 and X Cat) as well as some other overseas groups about where and when to maybe have a true world champs event.

Even though Ron Poli and I have our differences my thoughs are that it would be in the best interest of the parties I am chatting to that OSS/OPA are the preferred series of choice to team up with. Now Class 1 and X Cat boats are meant for Jersey water, so is it possible to hold an event in Jersey somewhere in November time frame (allowing time for boats to race and get back to Dubai for the rest of their series).

I know that Smitty and Augie and crew would show the intl teams some great hospitality and the water could be nice and demanding for the boats and spectators. Now can someone provide some realistic venues and time frames that I can pass on so we can try and make something work.

From the conversations I have had with friends in Australia and NZ there are a number of teams who would be keen to come and race if it was a proper world champs. I know many people who have had run in's with Carbonell and because of that it is a major reason why I am suggesting to friends in Dubai that an SBI event is not an option.

So bottom line guys, whats your thoughts.

Ned

5. Collapse Details

Founding Member/Contributor Sean Stinson's Avatar
    Great post Ned....As I stated in the email I sent to you regarding an email sent to Mr. Salo on the same subject matter....I am all for this the only question is Carbonell holds the current UIM/APBA Offshore license for events so does that pose a conflict of interest???
    God forgives.....The 1% doesn't!!!!!!

6. Collapse Details

Banned
    Other than the 'Jersey in November' thing, sounds good.

7. Collapse Details

Jersey in November. Ain't nothing like it!
    .......Augie Pensa.......

The Godfather

8. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jayboat View Post
    Other than the 'Jersey in November' thing, sounds good.
    Quote Originally Posted by AugiePensa View Post
    Jersey in November. Ain't nothing like it!
    Agreed....
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

9. Collapse Details

Charter Member
    Quote Originally Posted by H2O Full Throttle View Post
    Hey Guys,

Here is some food for thought. Have been having some discussions with friends who run the WPPA (oversee Class 1 and X Cat) as well as some other overseas groups about where and when to maybe have a true world champs event.

Even though Ron Poli and I have our differences my thoughs are that it would be in the best interest of the parties I am chatting to that OSS/OPA are the preferred series of choice to team up with. Now Class 1 and X Cat boats are meant for Jersey water, so is it possible to hold an event in Jersey somewhere in November time frame (allowing time for boats to race and get back to Dubai for the rest of their series).

I know that Smitty and Augie and crew would show the intl teams some great hospitality and the water could be nice and demanding for the boats and spectators. Now can someone provide some realistic venues and time frames that I can pass on so we can try and make something work.

From the conversations I have had with friends in Australia and NZ there are a number of teams who would be keen to come and race if it was a proper world champs. I know many people who have had run in's with Carbonell and because of that it is a major reason why I am suggesting to friends in Dubai that an SBI event is not an option.

So bottom line guys, whats your thoughts.

Ned
    Jupiter, Florida in Late OCT, sponsored by GEICO, should be a true offshore throw down.!!!
    Some where in Kenya a village is missing an Idiot!

10. Collapse Details

Point Pleasant, with it's history, would be an excellent rough water site. But November? If it were a true World Championship with Class 1, X cat, P1 and the US teams, how could a team not go? We would find a way if possible.

11. Collapse Details

Sponsor / Charter Member ThrottleUp Props's Avatar
    Jersey in November...sounds cold.

Julie
    When you feel the need for speed...Throttle Up!

GO FAST or GO HOME!

12. Collapse Details

Everyone is going to need a defroster on the boat

13. Collapse Details

Founding Member/Contributor Sean Stinson's Avatar
    The 89 Worlds were in Jersey so what is different now from then??????
    God forgives.....The 1% doesn't!!!!!!

14. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by T2x View Post
    About 150 boats........

Global Warming- NJ it is better now in Nov

Think cold, dense air.. Throttle'm hard boys!!

15. Collapse Details

Sponsor / Charter Member ThrottleUp Props's Avatar
    Cold air equals fast lap times!

Julie
    When you feel the need for speed...Throttle Up!

GO FAST or GO HOME!

16. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MANITIE View Post
    Randy...I see your point...but...remember in APBA when we were on the speed channel....we all did not know who was going to be on TV...it came down to the race and were the most exciting parts were to put the show together....remember...we in F1 had more air time then the SUPER Cats...I would think they would put the most exciting parts of racing in the show...

As far as pitching your sponsors...you will never be able to give your sponsors a garantee of air time....the best thing to do is to pitch your sponsors that the race you will be in will be aired on CBS....that needs to be your biggest pitch when appoaching your sponsors...National TV coverage......
    I agree, this was the reason my CEO decided not to continue any sponsorship after co-sponsoring the SCL Team Tellium boat that won the world title.

With more TV airtime we could have gotten our name out in a national forum. The only real benefit we saw from sponsorship was the ability to be able to ride in the support copter and free rooms in key-west. Other than that we saw no revenue generation from the sponsorship.

Not trying to pile on but just showing my side from a sponsor perspective because I put the deal together for the company.

Frank

17. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor MANITIE's Avatar
    Frank....its good to here from teams who have brought in sponsors...they can give the input that is really needed becasue they have made the pitches to sponsors and they know what they are looking for....

18. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MANITIE View Post
    Frank....its good to here from teams who have brought in sponsors...they can give the input that is really needed becasue they have made the pitches to sponsors and they know what they are looking for....
    No problem!!

Before sponsoring the boat, the CEO and myself were in talks about him buying a boat and racing in F2 but after I presented the sponsorship deal my boss figured it was much cheaper to sponsor than race and the notion of possible revenue generation was icing on the cake!

I'm my opinion the sponsors will flock if someone takes on the challenge of helping to make it more profitable!

Frank

19. Collapse Details

Competitor
    Frank ,
    You are correct,from the calls and email SBI is getting there is a lot of interest still out there. I think they have been waiting for the right time and Ave.

20. Collapse Details
    Thumbs up
    Get the knitty gritty out on the table...

Excellent Stuff!