Thread: Watches

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Registered
    Surprised nobody has mentioned this one: tell her you'd rather start saving for the kids' college fund. That oughta have at least a little tug on her heart strings....even if you have your fingers crossed behind your back.

If you're serious about just buying a precious metal that you'll never wear and have in the back of your head that you can sell some day, just buy a brick of platinum or something. OR, broaden your search beyond a Rolex...

2. Collapse Details

My old Seiko was $250 or so back in 1984, works like a charm.

3. Collapse Details

I said it before- when I see a 20K watch, I typically assume it's a fake. Beyond that, a real $20K watch says to me that person is trying way too hard to tell me they are somebody that can afford an expensive watch. They could get t-shirts printed up with their financial statement on them and that would cost alot less. The guys I know that can pull them off are guys that live in estates and live that large in all aspects of their lives. When I see a guy swing out of a 4-year-old domestic car with one on, it's sort of like driving through the ghetto and seeing a new Caddy parked in the street.

And don't get me started on a $20k diamond. I did the DeBeers Dance a quarter century ago and it's still a burr under my saddle. I fell for the "two month's pay" thing and grossly overpaid for an object that if not for the cartel's manipulation would be a relatively common rock.

Back to the Rolex- why is it that the same watch in the Rolex line is $10K more with a gold case? Same movement, same case, different material. The 2 oz of gold is less than two grand.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by mosi View Post
    Give it to her in the butt and she will forget about the watch!!!
    ZING! I can see the watchband ripping her earring out when she gets got and tries to squirm away!

Quote Originally Posted by Buoy View Post
    And I'm on my second try.
    Most everyone we know is on their 2nd. It should be law that marriage licenses can't be handed out until 30 years of age. I know if I was married before 30-35ish; I'd be divorced without a doubt. Too much single life to live below 30, then in the mid-30's my perspective changed and being out til 3AM every night chasing tail got old. The tail didn't; the chase did. She'll be 31 and I'll be 38- waited this long to make sure I/we were done being players. LOL! Me a player- as shy as I am. Now that's funny!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    That 20K watch is going to make you sad when you put a nice, big ding in it doing something you knew you should have taken it off for.
    You've seen how I get Chris- I keep telling her a watch won't make it through one night on the town with me. It will either be scratched to hell, I took it off to show someone and forgot who that was or I'll get mugged taking a leak while eating pizza behind a dumpster.

Ever have a conversation with someone and don't rememeber a word of it? I do every time barley and hops hits my lips!

Why take chances? LOL

You guys are right- I'm putting my foot down. I'll look at my iPhone if I want to know the time! Plus- if I get busted for staring at some chicks b00bies I can say I was trying to read her watch...

5. Collapse Details

I got lucky and only ruined the crystal on mine drunk wrestling at 3AM on an asphalt parking lot at the bar with one of my pals.

Go buy yourself a plain-jane Explorer I or a stainless Datejust and enjoy it for the remainder of your life.

6. Collapse Details

Love my $250 Citizen Eco Drive watch. No batteries, no winding. Haven't worn a wedding ring in 22 years (married in 1987). Much to her chagrin, still on the first wife.

7. Collapse Details

The guys I know that can pull them off are guys that live in estates and live that large in all aspects of their lives.
    agreed.....unless your living in an estate with a garage full of Ferrari's and Porsche's and a plane.....dont bother

8. Collapse Details

Timex... it takes a licking and keeps on ticking... remember the old tv adds when the straped one to the prop of an eggbeater....
    P-4077 "The Swamp" S.B.Y.C. and Michigan medboat mothership

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by phragle View Post
    Timex... it takes a licking and keeps on ticking... remember the old tv adds when the straped one to the prop of an eggbeater....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vgsvn...eature=related
    Run until it sounds expensive

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MarylandMark View Post
    Ever have a conversation with someone and don't rememeber a word of it? I do every time barley and hops hits my lips!
    I have the same problem....or so they tell me cause I usually don't remember

11. Collapse Details

Go to the 50 second mark... what more could a man want??

P-4077 "The Swamp" S.B.Y.C. and Michigan medboat mothership

12. Collapse Details

Fond du Lac, WI Cheeseheads & Kiekhaefer Scarab KV Miami Vice LTD Formally Snap-On Tools Canada

13. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Scarab KV View Post
    That had to be a great tape job to hold that watch in place

14. Collapse Details

I'm not seeing a lanyard.

15. Collapse Details

Great points Chris!!

I drive a truck, have a fish boat and lived in a trailer...

I've got the price cut in half so far and agreed to spend the other half on some thing for me that I want. Vegas anyone? Oppss... I'm told I shouldn't think like that any more.

I think it is the Daytona that I like?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 116509Met.JPG  

16. Collapse Details

I think you're onto something with the Vegas idea.

Spend 20K on your own bachelor party.
    Now there is something you REALLY want.
    "Keep the bottle on the bar Ira, I won't be long".

17. Collapse Details

Fond du Lac, WI Cheeseheads & Kiekhaefer Scarab KV Miami Vice LTD Formally Snap-On Tools Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by BBB725 View Post
    That had to be a great tape job to hold that watch in place
    Come now....is there anything duct tape won't hold?

18. Collapse Details

Well I went out and blew $20K on her ring because I wanted her to have some thing to be proud of.
    Buy me a $20K ring and I'll be proud baby!
    Queen of Bammin'

19. Collapse Details

I said it before- when I see a 20K watch, I typically assume it's a fake. Beyond that, a real $20K watch says to me that person is trying way too hard to tell me they are somebody that can afford an expensive watch.
    And honestly, it's not that impressive.
    Queen of Bammin'

20. Collapse Details

Great points Chris!!

I drive a truck, have a fish boat and lived in a trailer...

I've got the price cut in half so far and agreed to spend the other half on some thing for me that I want. Vegas anyone? Oppss... I'm told I shouldn't think like that any more.

I think it is the Daytona that I like?
    I like mine
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0411.jpg  
    Last edited by BBB725; 05-05-2009 at 02:22 PM.