Thread: Starter ?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
  1. Collapse Details

I have seen issues where the starter drive gear doesn't engage fully with the flexplate and that will cause noise and eventually a broken gear. I have also seen cracked flexplates. They can make all sorts of racket. I had one once that I thought was a rod knock- and a bad one. I had the motor out, stripped and upside down on a stand with the pan off before I pulled the drive plate and found the crack.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MOBILEMERCMAN View Post
    There is a switch on the trans near the shift linkage it has two small slot screws on it close together. I kinda looks like a temp sender with two screws. The slave solenoid gets its ground to operate thru neutral switch.

I have found many starter problems arise because water leaked from exhaust. Pay attention to plugs and inspect for signs of water.

I suppose it is possible the ignition switch could be bouncing current to starter. I haven't encountered that problem before. Can you activate the starter at the starter? Do you have a volt meter or better yet a load tester to measure voltage at lug on starter?

You say constant. Is that with engine revolutions or starter revolutions?
    There are two wires coming off the neutral saftey switch. yellow with a stripe and just a yellow one..Where do I hook them up?

The motor has not been in the water yet Im just trying to get everthing hooked up and set the timing.

I have a volt meter and will see what everything reads.

The teeth on the starter are marking all the way into the flywheel teeth.

3. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor MOBILEMERCMAN's Avatar
    The wires from the neutral switch on the trannie. One goes to ground and the other goes to the slave solenoid little post. The slave solenoid needs a ground to work. The switch is closed in neutral and provides the ground.

4. Collapse Details

OK......I figured it out

I crossed the starter over looking into the inspection hole on top of the bellhousing.........There is a spot on the flywheel with just a little bit of the teeth messed up......Once I got past the bad spot the starter spun the motor over with NO bad noises.........So I need a new Flywheel or ring gear...Does anyone have one laying around?

Thank you all for your help

5. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor MOBILEMERCMAN's Avatar
    GM sells ring gears. You bring in the flywheel to a Chevy dealer and it may take the parts guy a little while to figure it out but he will. Costs about 80. for a SB BB should be the same.

6. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CausinTrouble View Post
    OK......I figured it out

I crossed the starter over looking into the inspection hole on top of the bellhousing.........There is a spot on the flywheel with just a little bit of the teeth messed up......Once I got past the bad spot the starter spun the motor over with NO bad noises.........So I need a new Flywheel or ring gear...Does anyone have one laying around?

Thank you all for your help
    I may have a pair. I switched to Eickert aluminums. I'll look.
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

7. Collapse Details

Thanks again Jim

8. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MOBILEMERCMAN View Post
    GM sells ring gears. You bring in the flywheel to a Chevy dealer and it may take the parts guy a little while to figure it out but he will. Costs about 80. for a SB BB should be the same.
    I once purchased a pair from Mercruiser, then my friend bought the exact same ones, same GM number, from GM for 1/4 of the price I paid....l
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

9. Collapse Details

I get them from a local auto parts - I think the brand is ATP. Is it a 153 tooth ring gear?? If I remember correctly that's the most common.....

10. Collapse Details

Take the fly wheel out knock the ring gear off go to napa buy one, clean the flywheel off and heat up the ring gear and slide it on and make sure it's seated against the flange. Ring gear $20 and your time