Thread: Starter ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Starter ?
    Can I use a bottom mount starter on a TRS. If so does anyone have a part number for a good starter ?

2. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor MOBILEMERCMAN's Avatar
    Is there a spot for it? I don't think the flywheel cover has a spot for it. There are a couple different ones. I am pretty sure if the cover has coolers in it you can not. The block will most likely have a spot, but the cover needs to accommodate it. You still need to attend to the flywheel. It has the ring gear on the opposite side.

3. Collapse Details

Yes there is a spot for it on the bellhousing and the block. I mounted a starter down there and the starter just spins. Like you said about the ring gear being in the other side is what im running into. I didnt know if there was a diffrent starter out there for this problem.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MOBILEMERCMAN View Post
    Is there a spot for it? I don't think the flywheel cover has a spot for it. There are a couple different ones. I am pretty sure if the cover has coolers in it you can not. The block will most likely have a spot, but the cover needs to accommodate it. You still need to attend to the flywheel. It has the ring gear on the opposite side.
    If you are trying save some bucks by, buying a bottom mount starter it going to cost more to move the flywheel ring gear to the other side, if the ring gear is already damaged you still have to replace the ring gear or you will just tear it up even more, why, is the starter giving you problems first of all? If you tell me that, it will help me on your question.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by merperformance View Post
    If you are trying save some bucks by, buying a bottom mount starter it going to cost more to move the flywheel ring gear to the other side, if the ring gear is already damaged you still have to replace the ring gear or you will just tear it up even more, why, is the starter giving you problems first of all? If you tell me that, it will help me on your question.
    I am curious too. On top is a great place for it.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by XcaliburGirl View Post
    Yes there is a spot for it on the bellhousing and the block. I mounted a starter down there and the starter just spins. Like you said about the ring gear being in the other side is what im running into. I didnt know if there was a diffrent starter out there for this problem.
    The starter can only reach so far. What was the initial problem?

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MOBILEMERCMAN View Post
    The starter can only reach so far. What was the initial problem?
    It all started when I mounted a top mount starter on. The gear on the starter would only brush the top of the teeth on the fly wheel. The starter only had 9 teeth on it?? So I thought maybe I could shim it....well the bolts wont get tight and I striped one of the holes out.

So I figured I would try a bottom mount starter....It wont touch the fly wheel...

I am going to put a helacoil in the bolt hole and try to get the right starter for the top mount. How many teeth should a top mount starter have 9 or 11 ?

Does anyone have a part number for the ac delco starter ?

8. Collapse Details

I don't have one lying round to check the number of teeth.. I have always referred to it as the reverse rotation starter. There are two that look the same, but spin opposite.

I can only provide you with the merc number 50-76965a 3 s/s to 50-808011a05 and pmgr 30459. for Left hand stern drive engines

9. Collapse Details

Thanks Jim.

I will see what I can come up with

10. Collapse Details

So if I have a standerd rotation motor I need a counter clockwise top mount starter ?

11. Collapse Details

http://www.db-starter-alternator.com...DER%20140-6075

Check this place out they can help

12. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    This will talk about rotation, and list all model starters. I cannot find anything anywhere for a bottom mount option on a TRS, or anything different than 9 tooth.

http://www.sterndrives.com/startermotors.html
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

13. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by CausinTrouble View Post
    So if I have a standerd rotation motor I need a counter clockwise top mount starter ?
    Yes stern dives are all left hand. When you relocate the starter it has to spin in the opposite direction. Top mounts come in both rotations. In boards have left and rt hand engines. The rotation is determined by which way the flywheel turns while standing behind it. Left hand = CCW

14. Collapse Details

Thanks for the info guys.

I ordered a new starter from db

15. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by CausinTrouble View Post
    Thanks for the info guys.

I ordered a new starter from db
    great customer service too. Glad to help!

16. Collapse Details

Ok.......Im getting mad

New starter from db.....New Cables...New Battery
    Everything is hooked up and the motor turns over faster but the starter is still making a noise...Its kinda sounds like a small jackhammer (with a deeper tone)

Could it be the slave silonoid ????????? Im gonna pick one up tomorrow so everything will be new.

Also how many ground wires are on a typical older motor?

17. Collapse Details

It could be a bad tooth on the flywheel. It will break a good starter. It is a pain to check but you need to check it before you ruin the new parts. Does the noise happen every revolution of the motor or constant?

I would suggest you pull the spark plugs and check flywheel, crank it as little as possible until you figure it out and if you must crank do it with out plugs in to reduce the load

One good ground. It should be a heavy one. 2 awg is good for up to an 8 foot length from what I remember. I don't think a slave solenoid will cause your trouble.

18. Collapse Details

I will pull the plugs and turn the motor over by hand to check the teeth on the flywheel.

The noise is constant. I only have the one ground wire from the block to the battery.
    My nertrual saftey switch is not hooked up but im sure the trans is in neutrual. Someone has cut the wires to it...Where do they hook up?

19. Collapse Details

There is a switch on the trans near the shift linkage it has two small slot screws on it close together. I kinda looks like a temp sender with two screws. The slave solenoid gets its ground to operate thru neutral switch.

I have found many starter problems arise because water leaked from exhaust. Pay attention to plugs and inspect for signs of water.

I suppose it is possible the ignition switch could be bouncing current to starter. I haven't encountered that problem before. Can you activate the starter at the starter? Do you have a volt meter or better yet a load tester to measure voltage at lug on starter?

You say constant. Is that with engine revolutions or starter revolutions?

20. Collapse Details

when you look at the teeth see if the starter is marking it about half way down the tooth or better. Not on the top 1/4 of the tooth.