Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    SHARKEY-IMAGES
    Thumbs up
    PURE LAB :

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by buck View Post
    Wow, those Jack Russells are like flubber on crank. Don't know if I can keep up with those d@mn things.

I'll take a look at the Rat and Fox though.

Buck
    That's a fact! He thinks he's a lot badder than he is. We used to take a JRT hog hunting, and if he could catch a big one, it would have carried him out in the swamp!

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Scarab KV View Post
    Damn...where's the saddle?
    Hmmm. I've never seen 110 pound pit, but I had a 130# american bulldog.

(Biting my tongue)

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    If you get a lab, get one from a well known reputable breeder. The original bloodlines made for an excellent all around intelligent dog. The popularity of the lab has lead every Tom, Dick, and Harry to breed and sell them by the truckload. Ive talked to more than one hunter who says the backyard breeders have all but ruined the bloodlines.

BBB is right, if you get a high energy dog, you will absolutly need something to expel that energy on a regular basis otherwise little Rover will make your life hell. I bought a Redbone becase I always wanted one, I was expecting a sleep under the porch all day type of dog. What I got was a hyper active hound that wants to run like Forrest Gump on crank 24/7 with no signs of ever slowing down.
    I got Dixie from somebody I knew, and her parents were on site. She is fully papered, as if I was going to breed her. I had her spayed after her first heat.

I love my Dixie Dog!

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Airpacker View Post
    Someone mentioned an Aussie cow dog. I have a 3 year old and she is an amazing dog BUT, you need to know that the breed is a very much one person dog. She is my shadow. She will get up and folow me if I take 3 steps. I trip over her 20 times a day. She is way too smart for MY own good. Aussies definately need a ton of activity because they are bred to be very high energy / endurance animals. Just roaming free around the yard will not do it. They crave dog / owner interaction and will do anything to please "Master" but to leave one alone is asking for trouble. They will find ways to entertain themselves in your absence. Usually not "good" ways either.

If you can handle that, they are incredibly loving and loyal dogs, tough as nails for their size and afraid of nothing. My female is 35 lbs of pure muscle. Lightening fast and amazing to watch work other dogs as cattle. She wil heard anything that moves, kids, dogs, cows, birds, it doesn't matter. They tend to have a huge small prey drive so critters, cats and the like need to beware. It takes a firm hand on the leash if a squirrel or chipmunk crosses your path.
    It was me, and yes, they are definelty a one person dog. Some of you may remember Russ, aka Fourmala Outlaw. He had one, and he could even pet his Dobie around her.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by JETJOCK View Post
    Lab....My buddy "Marley" loves to boat!
    Dixie love to boat, without the boat!

7. Collapse Details

Buck I have girls about the same age and my wife is dying to get another dog. We have a lot of the same parameters: 1. minimal hair, 2. good with kids etc. For us it will be another Doberman (last one lived to be 14). Don't have the 5 acres so ours will have to live indoors.
    Boxers would be a close 2nd choice but the slobber would make me insane......

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Davidmnc View Post
    OK, I know I am about to sound very PC, but I have had dogs all my life. Mostly Lab/Retrievers. Full blooded to mutts. The best pets have always been lab mix mutts. They have always been loyal, smart and kind natured. So my suggestion to you is load the girls up, and take them down to the animal shelter and pick out a puppy. You won’t be disappointed. IMO
    Dixie is my only papered dog of the three, and she has always cougher. The vet said it was going from cool to heat. Other than that, I'm glad I didn't get a chocolate, yellow, or whatever is the color of the month. Big breeders will breed the dogs, looking for the same color.
    Dixie didn't have a single spot of white on her. She has a gray beard now (10 years), but so do I!

9. Collapse Details

saddle... my friend has a 250 lb mastiff..and it's NOT fat....
    P-4077 "The Swamp" S.B.Y.C. and Michigan medboat mothership

10. Collapse Details

Taken just a couple minutes ago. No, that's not a seven legged dog in the backround. Bandit has only had three since he was run over at three months. Doesn't bother him at all. He can fun fast outside, but plays that old "I'm missing a leg routine" when I call him in.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 002.jpg   003.jpg  

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by phragle View Post
    There is about a 200# female mastiff on my road (only 4 houses and I know them all),but I saw one down in Astor a few years ago that looked to be about 250.

12. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by phragle View Post
    You sure about that?

There's a reason I ask, since I've had them for a while myself.

One - walking a mastiff is like driving a Cig (like I'd know about driving a Cig ). EVERY person you come across wants to talk to you about the dog.

Two - EVERY one of those people knows someone who has a 250, 300, or 350 pound Mastiff.

I'm not sure why, but lots of people tend to exaggerate these dog's weights. 250 lbs. is not out of the question for a male, but it's still very much above average. My female is about 180 lbs. at a year old.

13. Collapse Details

Pic of said Mastiff for reference:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 030.jpg  

14. Collapse Details

Appleton, Wisconsin. Where we have 2 seasons... winter and road construction
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrinkleface View Post
    lab
    From you Tracy
    ________

15. Collapse Details

Appleton, Wisconsin. Where we have 2 seasons... winter and road construction
    Quote Originally Posted by Davidmnc View Post
    OK, I know I am about to sound very PC, but I have had dogs all my life. Mostly Lab/Retrievers. Full blooded to mutts. The best pets have always been lab mix mutts. They have always been loyal, smart and kind natured. So my suggestion to you is load the girls up, and take them down to the animal shelter and pick out a puppy. You won’t be disappointed. IMO

Go to your local shelter and adopt yourself a great friend.
    ________

16. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by cuda View Post
    Taken just a couple minutes ago. No, that's not a seven legged dog in the backround. Bandit has only had three since he was run over at three months. Doesn't bother him at all. He can fun fast outside, but plays that old "I'm missing a leg routine" when I call him in.
    Looks like my lab (all black dogs look alike?!?)... she's been gone over 10 years now and I still miss her. She was an honest 130# dog (fat, of course, but strong too) and she was born on St. Paddy's day.

Oh yah, and my dog's opinion was "woof woof woof".

"Tear gas and draft beer don't mix."

17. Collapse Details

Registered
    Mutt. I call mine a Basset in Shepard's clothing. He's a rescue dog my son found on Petfiner.com. Best dog I've ever had. 48 lbs of good buddy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ZebRiding2.jpg   Zeb4.jpg   Zeb3.jpg  

18. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Dude! Sweet! View Post
    Looks like my lab (all black dogs look alike?!?)... she's been gone over 10 years now and I still miss her. She was an honest 130# dog (fat, of course, but strong too) and she was born on St. Paddy's day.

Oh yah, and my dog's opinion was "woof woof woof".
    sometimes, when i wake up i the morning, my dog looks at the girl next to me and says "ROUUUUGH!"

19. Collapse Details

Labs are great dogs. This is my 12yr old. In his prime he was an amazing quail/pheasant and duck dog. Now he just pulls kids around the pool. The feared and respected jack russell is by far the meanest dog I own.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 500efi 002.jpg   IMG00070 (Small).jpg   P1040325.JPG  

Last edited by jryan26; 04-28-2009 at 08:05 PM.

20. Collapse Details

I have an 8 month old Austrailian Sheppard. Very smart. Loves kids and other dogs. I've spent lots of time with him since work has been slow. They are high energy and love the outdoors. Here's a couple of pictures of the little terrorist.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_4066.jpg   IMG_4333.jpg   IMG_4491.jpg