Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Icon/Founding Member Top Banana's Avatar
    Rhode Island - Summers / Florida - Winters
    30 years ago next month, I was sitting on the docks in Miami with Betty Cook trying to explain to her why I thought it was a bad idea for her to start bringing two boats to every race.....a Cat and a vee. She and Joel Halpern both showed up at Miami with two boats.

The race we were at was the Bacardi race..... and she had just won the race in her deep Vee and I came in third in my deep Vee. The results were just the opposite of the first race of the season and that left us tied for points in the drivers championship.

I said that if everyone started bringing two boats to every race..... and then waiting on the conditions of the water to make their selection on which boat to use..cat or vee....first of all the expense of racing would double, but mainly the courses would start to become more sheltered....... as the owners would not want to damage the very expensive boats that went very fast.

The boats would be made lighter .....and lighter would make them weaker and some day we would have race courses much like the Unlimited Hydors ran, on lakes and inner harbors. I remember very clearly telling her that day, that if I wanted to race an Unlimited or any hydro for that matter, I would not have built an offshore boat.

Here we are 30 years later. There has been great progress made over the last 30 years, but where are the boats that can still race in the ocean and not have to be rebuilt after the race?
    Light travels faster than sound....that is why some people appear bright until we hear them speak!!

2. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor MOBILEMERCMAN's Avatar
    They say Fountain or Skater on the side

3. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MOBILEMERCMAN View Post
    I wish batboats were legal......
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

4. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor Dunbar 104's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ratickle View Post
    i wish batboats were legal......
    why????

5. Collapse Details

Skater Baby!

6. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunbar 104 View Post
    why????
    From what I've observed, and those I've talked with, may be the most forgiving hull out there for a beginner. Watch vid on the overseas races, impressive design.

7. Collapse Details

So this went from an original post about the super low boat count at a race in a city where go-fast boats are king....to....a post about safety?

Hummmm....classic! Next everyone will be talking about their favorite potato chip!
    Mike
    2006 Fountain 38TE..CC..Outboards Baby!

8. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fever Mike View Post
    So this went from an original post about the super low boat count at a race in a city where go-fast boats are king....to....a post about safety?

Hummmm....classic!
    At least this time it was a logical chain of thought.....

9. Collapse Details

Blog Entries

Hummmm....classic!
    Allergic to Nonsense

10. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor MOBILEMERCMAN's Avatar

Hummmm....classic! Next everyone will be talking about their favorite potato chip!
    Yea 11 boats and 8 checkered flags. Not much to add to that.

I like Utz crab chips seasoned with Old Bay

11. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    While we're on the subject, has anyone seen "Jersey Boys" on Broadway?

Great cast and the fact is the current performers are much better than the original Four Seasons.

Of course I worry about what might happen if somebody were to fall from some of the taller stage sets.......
    Allergic to Nonsense

12. Collapse Details

I can send ya some if you're jonesin'

13. Collapse Details

Charter Member

Cape Cod Russet, with Bacon and horseradish dip!!

as for the lowwwwwwwwwwww boat count did anyone except more??

T2x, I want a breakdown of class by class action!
    Some where in Kenya a village is missing an Idiot!

14. Collapse Details

Still a Maryland'er at heart!

If I man hijack this for a second-

What are the different layers of the boat?

Outer/white is gelcoat?
    Black is carbon?
    Then- wood? Balsa infused whatever?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails jbs.jpg  

15. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete B View Post
    T2x, I want a breakdown of class by class action!
    Okay....

Dateline Miami 4/19/09

Miami Offshore Race reaches new highs in low

1. In single engine Family Sponsored Low Budget Class (FSLB1).... Sammy Sensational in his 28 year old, 26' Corsa Hull, "WHOREGASM", battled toe to toe with himself from the start. A minor course error almost cost him, but after doubling back to pick up his throttleman..and brother in law, Bernie Tagalong..who was sore but wet....the team continued to a close but well earned, uncontested, first place finish. Immediately after the white knuckled win, "Whoregasm" sunk....slowly. Said throttleman Tagalong "The old girl just can't take this much competition...and , frankly, neither can I" at which point Bernie fainted and fell face first into a sizzling barbecue full of brats.

2, In the twin engined Family Sponsored Low Budget Class (FSLB2)..... Gillette Underarm and his driver,sister, Hairyet, powered the newly refurbished, 1968 38' Bertram, "UGLY BUTT LOUD" to a runaway victory. Seemingly unchallenged, the pair charged through the fleet leaving the other competitor in the race "DOMINANT NOISY MACHISMO" looking like it was stopped. Unfortunately it was....... after its controversial power plants including one Ford small block and one Chrysler big block threw a combined 11 rods during the pace boat start.

3. In the twin outboard CAT ULTRA LIGHTclass (CUL2).... A twin outboard cat won.

4. In the dual engined Supercharged Fountain Is God class (FIG2SC)... an impressive fleet of 3 Factory backed Fountain 42 Footers made the start. The winning "CAT STOMPER" throttled by Reggie Fountain VII recorded an amazing 200 decibels at 500 yards, easily besting "BIG SHORT GUY"'s 176 decibels, and "EUROPEAN FUNNY MOTORS" featuring 16 cylinder naturally aspirated Pastabella engines as raced in P-1, at a lowly 145 DB. Since none of the boats completed lap one it was called a draw with the boss, Reggie, himself, grabbing all 3 first place trophies in his drive to catch Bill Seebold's record of 1000 race wins. After the race Reggie was quoted as saying "If you count my soap box derby and potato sack races when I was a kid....I'm only 875 wins behind Billy.... Betcha he can hear my footsteps when he goes to bed each night." Following that statement Mr. Fountain turned and walked face first into the crotch of a 5'11" female reporter from the Miami Herald

5, 6, 7, 8, The remaining class entrants all got first place trophies and were too hung over to remember much of the racing except to say that it was hard to wave to the 12 "fans" on the beach because you couldn't tell them from the huge flock of sunbathers that threatened to crowd them out. All 4 of these contestants complained of splitting headaches....especially when "CAT STOMPER" roared past.

The only other color highlight of note occurred when the crew of "TURBINE TOO MUCH" felt they weren't getting enough attention and decided to run the race course in reverse, causing several frightening near misses. Rather than disqualifying the team, the race committee unanimously awarded the Turbine Drama class (TurD) trophy to Reggie Fountain, narrowing Seebold's lead to a measly 874 wins.

The Wildly Overpriced Maximum Show Off Unlimited Extreme class (WOMSOUE) had no entrants due to the economy so the 8" high Block of Ebony trophy was also awarded to Mr. Fountain for use as a foot stool.

Highlights at 11.......
    Allergic to Nonsense

16. Collapse Details

this has been predicted by many its carbon fibers achilleys heal , lack of ability to give and flex.... the only cure i can see is to put a stainless skin on the bottom running surface if you have never seen carbon fiber fail its a lot like lead crystal!

17. Collapse Details

T2 that was great .......and truer than we like to think!

18. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Ahhhh Rich.....

And not a Swartzcraft entered. What has it come to???

19. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MarylandMark View Post
    Still a Maryland'er at heart!

If I man hijack this for a second-

What are the different layers of the boat?

Outer/white is gelcoat?
    Black is carbon?
    Then- wood? Balsa infused whatever?
    paint/carbon/herex

20. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by boostbros View Post
    this has been predicted by many its carbon fibers achilleys heal , lack of ability to give and flex.... the only cure i can see is to put a stainless skin on the bottom running surface if you have never seen carbon fiber fail its a lot like lead crystal!
    In our RC record trials boats, we used a carbon fiber/Kevlar weave. Was very fexible. When we used straight carbon, shattered every crash.