Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MOBILEMERCMAN View Post
    I believe that to be true also. The thing is they are for visual flaws. In reality they were not intended to protect from water impacts. They are rated for simulated bird strikes. A 550 is rated to withstand a bird strike at 550 knots. I don't recall the exact details but it was simulated with a mass of about 10lbs projected at it at speed mentioned. Water strikes are tens of thousands of times heavier per square inch.
    that may have been true for the old style canopy that was based off of fighter jets, but in this thread discussing mystic it isn't...

2. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fund razor View Post
    Chicken cannon?
    At Precision Cast Parts in Portland, they used a frozen Turkey cannon to shoot at the turbine blades for testing.
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

3. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean H View Post
    that may have been true for the old style canopy that was based off of fighter jets, but in this thread discussing mystic it isn't...
    The reason I'm very interested is I plan on buying a canopy Vee and racing with my wife.

I would also like to design one that is removable if possible. Like the fighter jets.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    The reason I'm very interested is I plan on buying a canopy Vee and racing with my wife.

I would also like to design one that is removable if possible. Like the fighter jets.
    If its removeable its not safe unless you are just talking about unbolting the hatch only itself. I also doubt you would be allowed to race in a canopy class with a removeable canopy.

5. Collapse Details

For what it's worth, I believe in solutions....

If you make suggestions and they're not accepted by others then you should take matters into your own hands and do it yourself.... Then again, this is what separates entrepreneurs and the sheep!

Just some food for thought.....

6. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor MOBILEMERCMAN's Avatar
    Actually it is titled Miami race.

I was just responding to a comment.

The plus side is it was in the Ocean, It was bumpy and a beautiful day.

7. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor MOBILEMERCMAN's Avatar

They are bolted on to a metal frame. And again not designed for water strikes.

8. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cuda View Post
    I read that a lot of canopies are bought for boats that were rejected for use on a jet.

Disclaimer: I don't have any confirmation, or other type of proof, just going on memory of what I read.

All F-16 Canopies, as purchased new through Linder Design, are rejects for visual flaws only. All custom Lavin canopies, which are the basis for many of the current canopy windows, are expected to be free of visual defects. Both are made at TexStar in Texas to Mil Spec's, and must withstand the frozen chicken cannon which fires the birds at 550 mph into test canopies. There is only one way to mount these canopies or windows and that requires using Texstar grommets spaced at precise distances from both the edge of the canopy and each other....otherwise the structure will be severely compromised. The mounting techniques must not only consider the canopy material but also the mounting surfaces must be of a certain minimum strength on the cockpit and deck....and...all seams between canopy and hull/deck must be filled and covered with a fiberglass cowling to absolutely prevent any water entry under any conditions. Water becomes a chisel at speed and will "wedge" any mis mounted canopy to shreds. It is in the mounting where many otherwise well respected major boat builders skip the fatal details.

Many canopies are out there at lower prices, but are not available from either Linder Design (The exclusive marine distributer) or TexStar. These are either used or discarded Military F-16 canopies that are mothballed due to age (ultra violet and infra red rays degrade the materials over time---- about 5 years is the mandated life span). The oldest F-16 canopies are thinner than the current models due to the "bird" requirements and are at least 20 years old at this point. It is also correct that above a certain speed the standard F-16 canopies cannot withstand the stresses. At that point the "windowed" canopies must be utilized and basically the windows must reduce in size as speed increases to increase the overall strength of these inserts.

The most suspect canopies of all, however, are the ones made as "pops" (yes it happens here as well). These are of thinner or weaker materials and are not made of the same form of laminated plastics. These have less strength and other properties.

Under no circumstances are half (or quarter) canopies to be considered safety devices as high speed water pressure through any portal or angle will easily rip them off making them nothing more than another sometimes fatal (and sharp)projectile.

All of this probably annoys many of you....but facts are facts.

T2x
    Allergic to Nonsense

9. Collapse Details

1" stretched acrylic, no mechanical fasteners, full mask/cowling, no seams or edges except actual window opening (and those are epoxied). 8" solid carbon flanges, compression bar, roll bar, 3 point hatch closures.... all of this should be standard in boats over 100 MPH IMHO.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF5135.jpg   DSCF5181.jpg  

10. Collapse Details

Charter Member
    T2x,
    Well I have travelled a few more 1000 miles east from my last location, and now 12 hrs ahead of East coast time. I was just checking for the race report by you, and you let me down a bit. it was way too short! and then you turn the discussion into safety.
    I hope you will enlighten us with just a little more of your spendid words of wit!

But safety first!
    Some where in Kenya a village is missing an Idiot!

11. Collapse Details

Does anyone have photos of the JBS boat. I heard it delaminated. The other, ultra-inferior website OSO is basically inoperative today. What are the details on JBS?

12. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    1" stretched acrylic, no mechanical fasteners, full mask/cowling, no seams or edges except actual window opening (and those are epoxied). 8" solid carbon flanges, compression bar, roll bar, 3 point hatch closures.... all of this should be standard in boats over 100 MPH IMHO.
    Be careful......... in spite of what your vendor may be telling you....stretched acryllic is not necessarily the strongest material out there. Do some independent research on it.....

I do like the 1" thickness however.

The devil is in the details....as usual.

T2x
    Allergic to Nonsense

13. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete B View Post
    T2x,
    Well I have travelled a few more 1000 miles east from my last location, and now 12 hrs ahead of East coast time. I was just checking for the race report by you, and you let me down a bit. it was way too short! and then you turn the discussion into safety.
    I hope you will enlighten us with just a little more of your spendid words of wit!

But safety first!
    Bummer! I seem to have failed as a reporter for SBI events...

Again.
    Allergic to Nonsense

14. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    What will she be racing in....?

T2x
    Allergic to Nonsense

15. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by T2x View Post
    All F-16 Canopies, as purchased new through Linder Design, are rejects for visual flaws only. All custom Lavin canopies, which are what many of the current canopy windows, are expected to be free of visual defects. Both are made at TexStar in Texas to Mil Spec's, and must withstand the frozen chicken cannon which fires the birds at 550 mph into test canopies. There is only one way to mount these canopies or windows and that requires using Texstar grommets spaced at precise distances from both the edge of the canopy and each other....otherwise the structure will be severely compromised. The mounting techniques must not only consider the canopy material but also the mounting surfaces must be of a certain minimum strength on the cockpit and deck....and...all seams between canopy and hull/deck must be filled and covered with a fiberglass cowling to absolutely prevent any water entry under any conditions. Water becomes a chisel at speed and will "wedge" any mis mounted canopy to shreds. It is in the mounting where many otherwise well respected major boat builders skip the fatal details.

Many canopies are out there at lower prices, but are not available from either Linder Design (The exclusive marine distributer) or TexStar. These are either used or discarded Military F-16 canopies that are mothballed due to age (ultra violet and infra red rays degrade the materials over time---- about 5 years is the mandated life span). The oldest F-16 canopies are thinner than the current models due to the "bird" requirements and are at least 20 years old at this point. It is also correct that above a certain speed the standard F-16 canopies cannot withstand the stresses. At that point the "windowed" canopies must be utilized and basically the windows must reduce in size as speed increases to increase the overall strength of these inserts.

The most suspect canopies of all, however, are the ones made as "pops" (yes it happens here as well). These are thinner material and not made of the same form of laminated plastics. These have less strength and other properties.

Under no circumstances are half canopies to be considered saftety devices as high speed water pressure through any portal or angle will easily rip them off making them nothing more than another sometimes fatal (and sharp)projectile.

All of this probably annoys many of you....but facts are facts.

T2x
    it's kind of educational to be annoyed sometimes as indeed it's oftentimes v. annoying to become educated
    People we meet in life are either a Blessing or a Lesson

16. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by T2x View Post
    What will she be racing in....?

T2x

She wants throttles, but so do I.

17. Collapse Details

Picture from JayBoat
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails JBS1.jpg  

18. Collapse Details

if that was my million dollar boat falling apart under designed use...I would NOT be a happy camper
    P-4077 "The Swamp" S.B.Y.C. and Michigan medboat mothership

19. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingCat View Post
    Does anyone have photos of the JBS boat. I heard it delaminated. The other, ultra-inferior website OSO is basically inoperative today. What are the details on JBS?
    They are on OSO in the SBI section. Not pretty. I feel terrible for Jeff.

20. Collapse Details

Thats not a "little problem" in my book. bummer deal for those JBS boyz..

Who built that Hull?