Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Python Prototype 30
    In Fond Remembrance. StraightJacket's Avatar
    Ok well its been a long process but we have finally gotten the hull done and now the mold. It has been just over 3 years in the making but I must say the end result is kick A$$. Just got it on the trailer last week and now fixing up some nicks and have to cut some of the holes for the accessories.

The lighting in the shop was screwing with my flash so when I can get it outside and take some better pics I will. But here are what I have so far....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_0825.jpg   100_0827.jpg   100_0828.jpg  

2. Collapse Details

Looks great. Keep the pics coming!!!
    Taking Over the World One Thread at a Time
    The Penguin Cometh

3. Collapse Details

There will be 2 dash pods mounted to the bulk head . Most all the guages will be set up across the Cowl with the speedo in the middle and both tachs on either side of it . Right hand throttles, white interior with red piping
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_0830.jpg   100_0832.jpg   100_0833.jpg  

4. Collapse Details

A shot with the interior laid in it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pyton rear seat 2.jpg   Pythonrear.jpg  

5. Collapse Details

Here's a shot of the bulk heads, We run out on Lake Michigan and tend to really run hard so we wanted something that would stand up to our beating
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_0834.jpg   100_0836.jpg  

6. Collapse Details

Nice and clean looking> keep the updates coming!

7. Collapse Details

Not running anything real fancy for power , just a set of N/A 540's putting out 730 hp and 680 ft lbs of torque, and BAM 1500 trans's. SSM# 4's with Stelling boxes, and full hynautic steering, 8 turns lock to lock.

Planning on keeping it plain Vanilla white and accenting it with some Red vinyl lettering . Who knows what I might come up with later and lay on for paint.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_0829.jpg   100_0837.jpg   540's.jpg  

8. Collapse Details

No stepps!!!!!!!!! I love it!!!!!!

9. Collapse Details

Looks great. I had a 24' Python with a carbed 502 back in 1992. What a little rocket that thing was. Good luck with the rest of your project.
    Mark Shackelford
    2009 President
    Richmond Powerboat Association

10. Collapse Details

I have a 24 Python with 502.

Very interesting project !

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by DonMan View Post
    I have a 24 Python with 502.

Very interesting project !
    Do you have Andy's old boat ?
    Mark Shackelford
    2009 President
    Richmond Powerboat Association

12. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by StraightJacket View Post
    Here's a shot of the bulk heads, We run out on Lake Michigan and tend to really run hard so we wanted something that would stand up to our beating
    Are you going to have any kind of cabin at all? I like white with red accents. Carry it onto the hull.

13. Collapse Details

No we just wanted this one to be all about the business, pretty much just set up to do Poker runs and Shoot Outs . The hull will have slight red accents, Some red lettering and odds and ends like the lines and the Tabs , little stuff. Want people to notice the hull not the paint job.

Didn't go with steps because we wanted to keep it kind of old school, ran full length strakes instead to get the hull up out of the water. Besides on Lake Michigan its never really smooth enough to let Steps do thier job

14. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by StraightJacket View Post
    No we just wanted this one to be all about the business, pretty much just set up to do Poker runs and Shoot Outs . The hull will have slight red accents, Some red lettering and odds and ends like the lines and the Tabs , little stuff. Want people to notice the hull not the paint job.

Didn't go with steps because we wanted to keep it kind of old school, ran full length strakes instead to get the hull up out of the water. Besides on Lake Michigan its never really smooth enough to let Steps do thier job
    With no cabin you could have used raceboat seating, maybe even three across like the old Apache raceboats. And your hull definitely speaks for itself. Very pretty. Ritchie Sutphen and Steve Stepp have proved that stepless hulls can run very fast so there's no shame in that game for sure.

One question; why did you choose a 30' hull for Lake Michigan??

15. Collapse Details

Lookin good!

Explain choice of power/set up and why went with it? Tranny?

16. Collapse Details

You know , dad was saying that we should have done it in a staggared set up with a 3 man Friday. We usually only run with just him and I but thought as far as when we try to sell it , Balance,and on occasion my step mom likes to go for a ride,she can't climb all over to get in. Lets face it if she wasn't so good and tolerated us this would have never taken off. Plus I don't think we will actually ever competatively race , no time and money to do that.

Why a 30' , the market seems to be swaying toward the larger , more swanky , offshores and getting away from this size of boats. Thought maybe their could be a niche for this size, and the builder doesn't have a huge shop to build them and you could set it up with a variance of combo's. One big single, twin Small Blocks or twin Big blocks . Also trailering ability, we don't have a slip anywhere. Plus its just so much fun to drive on Lake Michigan, you have to drive it on snotty days. The larger boats like what most of our friends have there is no challange , when you have 3-4's out there. And I also have a 38 Fountain Fever that is real nice.

The power set up is what we already had from our old boat, they run awesome, never have let us down and we are not real big on Blowers. It cooler to run fast and then pop the hatch and have every on trip out that they are N/A motors. The drive set up we came across from a friend, Our old set up was a TRS boat , and I know to many guys breaking Bravo's and 6's are just to damn expensive. Another local had the tranny's so we needed them because of the x-boxes ( flange type for drive shaft) So now we have a set of Huber 1050's laying around to sell.

17. Collapse Details

I'm sure dad will chime in on here when he fells like it, he more of a lurker than a talker.

18. Collapse Details

Maryland Mark, The power in this thing is old school stuff. seeing as im a old fart! I built these motors 10 years ago,because I like motors that have a heart beat.and I don't know didly do about electronic injection, but I know a few tricks with carbs. I'm not big on bravo drives, so thats why the transmissions are in it. I like the manners of the transmissions around the docks. As for a the size,sometimes I go by myself and it's just easier to manage. It's big enough to handle good water, but small enough to have a fun in a confined area like party cove.

19. Collapse Details

Thank you- for taking the time to explain as well as sharing this build with us!

20. Collapse Details

Looking good boys! Can't wait to call the cops on ya when you bring it home and put it in the driveway Bri!