1. Collapse Details
    F650 Towing Question
    OK I have a question, I found a good deal on a used F650, but here are the opions that scare me.

1) It only has a 5 sp Allison 2200 hs series trans
    2) Cummins 260 hp 6.7L
    3) 5.29 R Axel ratio

I have always thought 300 hp Cat. and the 6sp trans is the way to go...do you guys think is set up so that if I went to sell it down the road I would have enough truck for towing not just a "Show" truck???

Thanx BZ

2. Collapse Details

Is it 4x2 or 4x4? What is the weight of the boat or trailer you will be towing with the 650?

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by B.Z. View Post
    1) It only has a 5 sp Allison 2200 hs series trans
    2) Cummins 260 hp 6.7L
    3) 5.29 R Axel ratio
    Cummins & no 6 sp Allison.... That is why it seems like a good deal...
    Quote Originally Posted by B.Z. View Post
    1)I have always thought 300 hp Cat. and the 6sp trans is the way to go...
    Yes

http://www.seriousoffshore.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=67&dateline=1262460498

4. Collapse Details

Oooooh, six doors too

5. Collapse Details

Wouldn't own the Cummins. CAT is the way to go. there are hundreds of CAT dealers open 24/7/365 on every major highway in the country. That alone is enough.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Wouldn't own the Cummins. CAT is the way to go. there are hundreds of CAT dealers open 24/7/365 on every major highway in the country. That alone is enough.
    Good point.

7. Collapse Details

Mine has the Cat and Allison and I love it....

8. Collapse Details

i have owned both Cummins and CAT, most of my trucks had cummins in them.. id own another.. this truck is only taking your boat, light load for this truck and package. i think its a good deal, on another note with the cat, know they are going to break it off in your ass when you are on the side of the road..
    Hi, Im Dave.. Welcome, glad to have ya.....

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by stecz20 View Post
    ...on another note with the cat, know they are going to break it off in your ass when you are on the side of the road..
    Where is Cummins is going to break theirs?
    http://www.seriousoffshore.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=67&dateline=1262460498

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by glh View Post
    Where is Cummins is going to break theirs?
    big difference in the bills my friend, everything with a cat is double.. again im not saying i dont like the cat, in my business its the opp, very few garbage trucks are ordered with cats for that reason... cummins and macks are the main motors used..
    Hi, Im Dave.. Welcome, glad to have ya.....

11. Collapse Details

You're talking HD vs Mediums. The big engines are a whole different ballgame. In that market you've got International, the 5.9 and 8.3 Cummins and the Cat. And now the Mercedes. You see alot more of the Benz engines in Freightliners nowadays so the Cummins is swiftly falling by the wayside.

And good luck getting roadside service on any non-Cat medium. It's tough even with Cat- those guys are set up to deal with OTR tractors, not the little stuff.

12. Collapse Details

BZ, theres a few cummins dealers near us. One right off I-55 and Lagrange. My experience with the big trucks was always that CAT is expensive. Parts are very pricey. With that being said though, I have no clue what setup is good in those medium trucks. However, I think a F650 would look great towing your boat! And mine!

13. Collapse Details

Not to mention Cat has pulled out of the truck engine business. They don't make them anymore. So unfortunately cummings is the new big dog in medium duty truck engines.

14. Collapse Details

We run Cummins in gensets and compressors, they rock. I would not hesitate for a second to buy one in a truck..