Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by TYPHOON View Post
    Sean, what speeds would that put the boats at? What would your best calculations be for having them run aprox 125 mph? I was thinking of keeping the SCL the same and slowing down the other two classes. There big water set up should be about 125 right?
    MD
    mid 140's... i just don't see a reasonable way to slow them down 20 mph (they already are slowed 10-15 mph by the rules).

the speeds don't change much in rough water since they are up against the limiters in smooth water, the 850 boats still ran about those speeds in KW.

I just think changing supercat that radically would just about kill the class. (more so, they just wouldn't come to OSS races).

even if you put a 1.5 ratio in the 850 boats (which is the same as a SCL I believe), the 850 would run about 130ish keeping the 36 prop rule, yet get there like a rocket. No naturally aspirated engine is gonna keep up with that, even if they are 2k pounds lighter. Then of course, you would have a whole new set of issues as the 850's would be in guardian with that much time on the limiters.

2. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor MOBILEMERCMAN's Avatar
    It is a tough call.

The most consistent thing in racing is change unfortunately.

It would be nice to allow and show some class consistency.

3. Collapse Details

I am all for 2 cat classes... I just think it should be Supercat and Superstock. Enough speed, cost and design difference for them to never be confused and for teams to easily decide which one they want to run in. but as long as SCL has 5 or more boats, I wouldn't mess with it. Like Jim said, let's address the classes that have 1 or 2 boats running around in them first.

4. Collapse Details

Banned
    I got a few pix. It was my first time in Biloxi - I really like the site. You can get up close and personal with the course and the boats.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jumbo_Jets.jpg   OSS.Biloxi09_1135.JPG   OSS.Biloxi09_1191.JPG  

5. Collapse Details

Banned
    More Smokin' in the Sound
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OSS.Biloxi09_1239.JPG   OSS.Biloxi09_1352.JPG   OSS.Biloxi09_1359.JPG  

6. Collapse Details

Banned
    Some racin'... and a washdown. 8-]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OSS.Biloxi09_1366.JPG   OSS.Biloxi09_1547.JPG   OSS.Biloxi09_1588.JPG  

7. Collapse Details

Banned
    More...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OSS.Biloxi09_1691.JPG   OSS.Biloxi09_1776.JPG   OSS.Biloxi09_1793.JPG  

8. Collapse Details

Banned
    Last ones...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OSS.Biloxi09_1858.JPG   OSS.Biloxi09_1863.JPG   OSS.Biloxi09_1869.JPG  

9. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Nice shots Jay......
    You're up early.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cool photos.gif  
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

10. Collapse Details

Perhaps new engine/class rules would have to be developed that could work for exist SCL, 750 and 850 boats, maybe 700 hp/6500rpm that ALL teams would have to change to, maybe exist 850 engines could de tune, 525 boats could add a supercharger, 750 boats could run less rpm???

11. Collapse Details

6 boats showed up for Cat light. Why mess with the strongest class?

JayBoat Thanks for sharing.

12. Collapse Details

Six boats is good but not on a nine mile course we need 20 talked to mike peppers he is very interested this year discuss, try maybe test session with whm peppers motley and trash and anyone else at cumberland on test day with props that will be similar in speed. start there then work towards rpms weight and gear ratio that will work he stated that scl can bump computer with little effort to 6,000 billy moore stated that overseas they have some computer that they use to monitor the rpm to make everyone close im not familiar with this but want to no more. build a great class for the future

13. Collapse Details

Nice pictures, Jay, thanks for posting.

14. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jem motorsports View Post
    Six boats is good but not on a nine mile course we need 20 talked to mike peppers he is very interested this year discuss, try maybe test session with whm peppers motley and trash and anyone else at cumberland on test day with props that will be similar in speed. start there then work towards rpms weight and gear ratio that will work he stated that scl can bump computer with little effort to 6,000 billy moore stated that overseas they have some computer that they use to monitor the rpm to make everyone close im not familiar with this but want to no more. build a great class for the future
    Sounds like a good approach.

If they were to race together in the same start, you would get the most accurate info.

15. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor Ryan Beckley's Avatar
    Way to go JAY , great to see you , an owner, heading up this charge.
    Ryan Beckley

16. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jem motorsports View Post
    I am sure Guy will try props to see if anything can work.

I still think that SCL will need to bump their stuff up to make anything work.

17. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor RACESDAD's Avatar
    we are interested to help move forward. Jay and i will talk to everyone to find out thier input in this. this needs to be a group effort. I look forward to working on this
    mike

18. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor RACESDAD's Avatar
    and yes, we can hang ,. Because in catlite, if you dont run on the edge , you will not be in the lead. we have to be full on all the time. it is why we hang with the big boys in the corners

19. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor Ryan Beckley's Avatar
    I was emailing with "Renegade" Craig , he is interested in being involved too.
    craigrenegade at earthlink.net
    Ryan Beckley

20. Collapse Details

jay and i spoke at length in biloxi about this being a possibility. the idea has been kicked around ever since 05' when we entered into the cat lite class. but no one really led the charge. at the end of the day, there is no harm, cost, etc for the 3 classes to discuss the possibilities and have open minds. we have been an advocate of following the model of all the other successful motorsports such as nascar, motorcross, formula one, outlaws, etcccc. that is, two big shows. nascar has nationwide on sat/ nextel cup on sun. motorcross has 125 / 250. and each race has 30 - 35 competitors. lets be honest, would u tune into daytona if 3 cars were competing??? we should be looking at a long term plan to eventually end up w/ 20 v's on sat and 20 cats on sunday. then u have a show. then the sponsors come. but the idea is always kicked around but never followed thru. we have been running this class long enough now to put out an educated opinion that with power to weight, coupled with rev limiter adj and props, u could have all 3 configurations extremely close in one day of testing the three side by side. courses could be reconfigured to make turns more of the race than pure straight line speed. the most important thing is not to cost any one class $$ to achieve this. lastly, we are all seeing speeds/safety becoming a major issue. even cat lite speeds are questionable when it comes top safety. so slowing things down a bit would not be a negative. it doesnt matter how fast one is going, its the show that people want to see. if the majority of cat lites, 750's, and 850's were willing to experiment on the possibility and were interested in test results, then we should put one from each class together and form a comittee to finally follow thru with the research and testing.....