Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor Ryan Beckley's Avatar
    Thanks PURRFECTION for making the trip and taking all the photos and the time to post them!
    Ryan Beckley

2. Collapse Details

Charter Member
    Thanks for posting, for all of those that cant make it to a race.
    Maybe I can return the favor later this season.
    Some where in Kenya a village is missing an Idiot!

3. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor
    I could be wrong but I think the bragging rights are worth more than the money to most of the cat teams. Just a thought if you divided the total purse between all the cat teams and called it tow money you would eliminate the issue of feeling you dont have as good of a shot of winning the top purse pay out. That just might bring out some of the older boats as well. Not to say there may be some side wagers in the pits.
    MD

4. Collapse Details

Does anyone know of any new 750 or 850 boats being built? There is a limited number of existing boats that are race ready. If its just the 750/850 teams I dont see any new teams racing in OSS than there is now. With out the combined cat lite there would be no differance than what we are doing now.
    Fury 40'
    WHM 41'
    Talkin Trash 38'
    Page 38'
    CRC 40'
    Nichols (old boat) 38'

now add

Motley 36'
    Peppers 38'
    Prop Stop 38'
    All Jacked Up 36'
    Amsoil 36'
    Popyes 36'

Now that would be 12 boats in one class with the existing fleet.I would think that would draw some of the other teams that wanted to see what they were made of.
    MD

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Beckley View Post
    Thanks PURRFECTION for making the trip and taking all the photos and the time to post them!
    Thank you Ryan,without people like you racing, I would have nothing to take pictures of. Glad you, as well as others, enjoy looking at them. If this is how I can share my enjoyment of offshore racing with others, then it is well worth the time. Good luck in the future and be Safe. I'm headed out of town for the week, but if people still want me to post more pictures, I'd be happy to, next weekend.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by TYPHOON View Post
    Does anyone know of any new 750 or 850 boats being built? There is a limited number of existing boats that are race ready. If its just the 750/850 teams I dont see any new teams racing in OSS than there is now. With out the combined cat lite there would be no differance than what we are doing now.
    Fury 40'
    WHM 41'
    Talkin Trash 38'
    Page 38'
    CRC 40'
    Nichols (old boat) 38'

now add

Motley 36'
    Peppers 38'
    Prop Stop 38'
    All Jacked Up 36'
    Amsoil 36'
    Popyes 36'

Now that would be 12 boats in one class with the existing fleet.I would think that would draw some of the other teams that wanted to see what they were made of.
    MD

the easiest way to make a scl run with a sc would be to swap engine packages. not what most of those teams would want to hear. you can't really slow down the 750/850 guys anymore, they are already riding the limiters at most all of the courses. you can't cut too much weight out of a scl to give them any more advantage there either. I don't see any reasonable way to make a 525/8350 lb cat run with a 800/9500 or 850/10000 supercat. they just wont have the propshaft speed to run with the 750's or the acceleration to run with the 850's.

I say just make those boat lengths legal for SC and let them run the 750 or 850 package and the according weight.

7. Collapse Details

Hey randy just to straighten you numbers out

Fury 38'
    WHM 40'
    Talkin Trash 38'
    Page 38'
    CRC 39'
    Nichols (old boat) 44'

now add

Motley 36'
    Peppers 36'
    Prop Stop 38'
    All Jacked Up 36'
    Amsoil 36'

Also out there are

Ross'e 39' 525s
    Let's Play 36' 525s
    ShowTime 36' 525s
    Reliable 39' 525's

Renegade 36' 750's
    D&M 39' 850's
    Travis 40' 750's
    Reliable 39' 750's
    JD Byrider 38' 750's
    BTM 39' 750's
    Warpaint 38' 750's
    Flyin Tiger 750's
    JEM 40' 750's

SuperHeat 40 with ???
    Cintron 50' 1400's
    CRC 39' 1200's
    Nauti Boats 50' 1200-1500's
    CMS 50' 1200's

I think you could de-tune the big boats but I dunno if you could get the cat lights in this mix....
    Ryan Beckley

8. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor RACESDAD's Avatar
    LUCAS OIL is a 368, not a 388. and these talks started las year. lets start talking now and change maybe next year. Stan and i started looking at options last year to combine.
    1. we must get our return on investment. which some of us i think have.
    2. find a hp to weight that would work
    this should be decided by the racers. I have asked for class rep to call me to see what we could do.
    purrfection thanks for the pics.
    mike stancombe
    Lucas Oil catlite #2

9. Collapse Details

Thanks Ryan. I was just taking a stab at the boat sizes. There are close to 25 boats in total the way I see it. How many on that list still want to race is the question and if they dont, why not? As the class reps of each class its there job to make the calls and see why they are sitting on the trailer. Narrow the list down to who has any desire to race any more and what there opinion is on what it would take to get them back out. Its about comunicating with others.
    If anyone has any ideas to makeing SVL grow bigger I am all ears as well.
    MD

10. Collapse Details

I spoke to Muller and he is open to leading the charge to combine 750/850. I myself think that is a good start, maybe get some of the unlimiteds involved. I think SCL should stay as is, but the decision is really up to the boat owners. If any one want to speak about SS/ catoutboard I am open to suggestions.....
    Ryan Beckley

11. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor MOBILEMERCMAN's Avatar
    I agree with Mike, discuss the cat light part after the season.

In the short term the owners could vote on consolidating 750/850.

Add Princes' 850 to the list

12. Collapse Details

Word is Prince's boat no longer has a roof......
    Ryan Beckley

13. Collapse Details

I believe some of the SCL boats are already interested. This may not be that far away. Possably Cumberland can be a test bed on Sat. Put as many SCL,750 and 850 boats on the course to do a 3 lap dash. Someone come up with a max pitch,weight and gear per class and see just how close we are. I would love to see that on Sat. Muller what do you suggest would be a good weight,gear and prop per class to try and get it close. I would think a max speed of around 125 would be a good start.
    MD

14. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by TYPHOON View Post
    I believe some of the SCL boats are already interested. This may not be that far away. Possably Cumberland can be a test bed on Sat. Put as many SCL,750 and 850 boats on the course to do a 3 lap dash. Someone come up with a max pitch,weight and gear per class and see just how close we are. I would love to see that on Sat. Muller what do you suggest would be a good weight,gear and prop per class to try and get it close. I would think a max speed of around 125 would be a good start.
    MD
    1.35/6000/36/10k for 850's and 1.61/7600/34/9500 have shown to be pretty close, lets not mess with that again. The 850's make torque and the 750's have more propshaft speed and less weight.

If SCL has an idea to run those speeds, I think it would be easier for one class to change than two (they are going to have to up HP no matter what, you can't cut enough weight or make it up in gear/prop anyway)

15. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Beckley View Post
    Word is Prince's boat no longer has a roof......
    and the engines have been gone through...

16. Collapse Details

Sean, what speeds would that put the boats at? What would your best calculations be for having them run aprox 125 mph? I was thinking of keeping the SCL the same and slowing down the other two classes. There big water set up should be about 125 right?
    MD

17. Collapse Details

I don't get it. The discussions of to many classes should not be targeting two good classes. Ax the dead classes. One boat or less class is gone.

Focus on Big Cats 850/750, Cat light, Cat Outboard, SVL the present classes with a number of committed racers.

Have one extreme class. Everyone else Pro AM
    Last edited by MOBILEMERCMAN; 04-05-2009 at 10:41 PM.

18. Collapse Details

Make sure we race in the open water half the time.

You might be able to even up the speeds of the cats until you put them in some rough water and the big heavy ones walk away from the lights

19. Collapse Details

you guys would have to dump the 525's or atleast rebuild the motor to make some real power and get rid of the 5400rpm limit.

this has been discussed several times and it seems never to get anywhere???

why not just adopt the class 1 rules.

930 hp = 10,000lbs
    824 hp = 9000lbs.

as for letting the scl guys into race, the boats are already within the size limit. the lenght rule over laps already which confuses alot of fans. you got prop-stop running a 388 in scl and most of the the new cats in 850 & 750 are 388 skaters and dw's 38. so, the trend seems to be shorter boats that turn and handle vs the 40 plus footers like WHM and the budruex's mti. plus for what a new 525 costs, i fell that a competive 750 motor could be built.

also the merc powered guys need to do something about that damb gaurdian mode. thats gotta be a buzz kill to have that happen while trying to race. i wonder if the class 1 merc powered motors have the gaurdian on them????

anyway, the 850's basically have the right motor to make 930 hp and most of the 750's could shave weight to get down to 9k. so if the scl wanted, let them swap motors and have at it.

20. Collapse Details

Jim its about racing, We,the fans would like to see more boats racing in less classes. Jack up the excitement level with more boats racing each other. Its hard times ahead with less boats. These are just ideas that may help the sport add excitement with less classes. It is ultimentaly up to the race teams to deside if they are up to the challange.
    MD