Thread: gear ratios

1. Collapse Details
    gear ratios
    Registered
    What would the differance between running 1.36 gears and 1.5 gears? I'm currently using 1.5's and have found some sportmasters with the 1.36 I wanted to try.

2. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor MOBILEMERCMAN's Avatar
    The 1.5 will probably accelerate better. The 1.36 will likely need a prop with about 2 inches less pitch to try it and give it a real test.

I would take advantage of the opportunity to try them.

3. Collapse Details

You will get a higher prop rpm. A prop WOT rpm approaching 5000rpm is said to be optimal for top speed, the 1.36 will get you closer. But you will loose on the bottom.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by redbud35 View Post
    What would the differance between running 1.36 gears and 1.5 gears? I'm currently using 1.5's and have found some sportmasters with the 1.36 I wanted to try.
    ok i did a test same boat same prop 150bravo 3600rpm 40mph 136bravo 3000rpm 40mph i like the 136 . i never take off full speed i think it is hard on the drive i throttle at 3000rpm my boat plane off nice . i never race at a dead stop. think about it you are crusing a nother boat come on the side of you . then you smile at them trun your hat around and push the throttle down. with the 136 you dont have to put a big pitch prop now all boats are not the same . i have a 1988 baja the bravo drive is low in the water i run 23 mirage prop. if you got a drive to try just make shore you go down on the pitch on the prop . my old motor i went from a 23 pitch down to a 21 pitch 136 drive my boat was faster top speed but slower out of the hole . and i gps all my tests good luck

5. Collapse Details

The sportsmaster lowers might queer the results
    ...sportmaster lowers have big skegs.... that has been
    known to slow boat that run sub 90 down, compared
    to a std gearcase.

6. Collapse Details

i got this from mike http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zgHL0mErk4 this glasstron has136alfa drive small block 25pitch cleaver prop 124mph

7. Collapse Details

SO Tech Expert: Ford PSD's fixxxer22's Avatar
    I have a 1.36 for sale. I hate it the acceleration is poor. It feels like you are stepping on a plum. I have talked to many drive experts and they all said unless you are making 800 plus horsies they would stay away from the 1.36 i am only running about 500hp and with some people and beer and fuel in the boat i feel like i am pushing too hard on the drive.
    Now recruiting Mississippi power boaters.

8. Collapse Details

thats because you have to run a 19plus or a 21mirage prop. i had a 624hp runnig a 23mirage prop at 5400rpm if i ran a 150 i would have a 28pitch prop when you run a 136gear you have to you a small prop to make it work . i told you in 1987 they put 136gears alfa drive with a 19pitch cleaver prop from the factory! and a 330mag 454 ! the boat ran 55mph it not a big deal you got the 150 drive on now are you runnig a 25pitch mirage now?? how mush for your drive?

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by fixxxer22 View Post
    I have a 1.36 for sale. I hate it the acceleration is poor. It feels like you are stepping on a plum. I have talked to many drive experts and they all said unless you are making 800 plus horsies they would stay away from the 1.36 i am only running about 500hp and with some people and beer and fuel in the boat i feel like i am pushing too hard on the drive.
    ok i am going to tell put a 21mirage prop on your boat with the 136 . my buddy has the same boat and power as i had with my 2 motor 150 bravo drive 25pitch mirage prop 5000rpm i have 136 gears 21mirage prop 5200rpm 40mph we go wot i jump ahead by one boat and stay ahead the hole time he ran 65mph on gps i ran 66.6mph no bs. now if we ran from a dead stop he would beat me out of the hole ! i always take off at 3000rpm let the boat plane off .it go 40mph at 3000 and cruise .i never race from a dead stop it hard on the drive ! if you ski off your boat then i would stick to the 150gears . either way the boat will run good with THE RIGTH PROPTHATS THE KEY TO RUNNIG GOOD .MAX TO THE REDLINE IN YOUR RPM

10. Collapse Details

Stick with the 1.50 gear ratio. Unless you are running out of prop pitch. The Sportmaster lower units are best for surfacing and running over 90 mph.

11. Collapse Details

SO Tech Expert: Ford PSD's fixxxer22's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bajabob 600 View Post
    ok i am going to tell put a 21mirage prop on your boat with the 136 . my buddy has the same boat and power as i had with my 2 motor 150 bravo drive 25pitch mirage prop 5000rpm i have 136 gears 21mirage prop 5200rpm 40mph we go wot i jump ahead by one boat and stay ahead the hole time he ran 65mph on gps i ran 66.6mph no bs. now if we ran from a dead stop he would beat me out of the hole ! i always take off at 3000rpm let the boat plane off .it go 40mph at 3000 and cruise .i never race from a dead stop it hard on the drive ! if you ski off your boat then i would stick to the 150gears . either way the boat will run good with THE RIGTH PROPTHATS THE KEY TO RUNNIG GOOD .MAX TO THE REDLINE IN YOUR RPM
    That is just the way i feel about the ratio. Not trying to get into a pissin match here. I was told by bblades to run the 24 bravo 1 witch is a 23p prop. it ran verey well all things considered. the plaining always sucked but it was fine. I am going by what Dick Tryce "Mr Gadgets" said and he told me that was the wrong setup unless i was in the 800 plus horsepower rating. So, I found a 1.5 and I have yet to try it hopefully it is what i am looking for. and i will sell that drive for $1500.00 if you would like it. It is in good condition and was working the last time i took it off the boat. It is a genuine mercruiser replacement due to the last owner hitting something. I do not know how many hours are on it but i bet i put 150 on it the boat had 360 on it when i got it.
    Now recruiting Mississippi power boaters.

12. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by fixxxer22 View Post
    That is just the way i feel about the ratio. Not trying to get into a pissin match here. I was told by bblades to run the 24 bravo 1 witch is a 23p prop. it ran verey well all things considered. the plaining always sucked but it was fine. I am going by what Dick Tryce "Mr Gadgets" said and he told me that was the wrong setup unless i was in the 800 plus horsepower rating. So, I found a 1.5 and I have yet to try it hopefully it is what i am looking for. and i will sell that drive for $1200.00 if you would like it. It is in good condition and was working the last time i took it off the boat. It is a genuine mercruiser replacement due to the last owner hitting something. I do not know how many hours are on it but i bet i put 150 on it the boat had 360 on it when i got it.
    hay that cool i was trying to tell you wt i did runnig with the136gears.i am going to email you on that drive thanksand good luck on your boat