Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Help me pick a 35' - 38'
    I was fortunate enough to secure a property in Fort Myers recently, so it is time to start looking for a proper boat to park in the back yard. My Envision is not quite right for this location. Criteria are ride quality, cockpit room and a full cabin. Something that will make for a pleasant run up or down the coast and maybe overnight onboard once in a while.

Based on my own research I think I'm looking for a 90's cig (cafe or gun) or formula (357/353 or 382). My wife would be leaning toward the formulas if the ride quality is there. I'm looking for real world advise on these boats based on my criteria. Questions I'm asking myself: is a top gun ride that much better than a cafe? A 353 will be relatively fast, but at what point does the water get big enough that we're getting beat up? Are there other models I should be considering?

Thoughts are appreciated!
    Greg

2. Collapse Details

http://www.seriousoffshore.com/forum...ead.php?t=5273

Here yaa go.. 33' withOUT the swim platform.
    Life is: what happens... when you plan something else.

3. Collapse Details

ther is a nice 99 gun in the classifieds.

just needs to go back together.

I dont know from personal experience, I have ridden in a Cafe many times and they ride nicely in rough water. I am guessing from what I have ready a Top Gun would be even better.

Plus it is a Cigarette, which is cool.

4. Collapse Details

Go with the Gun or Cafe'. Depending on your budget. Lot's of nice ones out there for sale of course I am a little biased....

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Sea-Dated View Post
    Go with the Gun or Cafe'. Depending on your budget. Lot's of nice ones out there for sale of course I am a little biased....
    The olders have a better cabin more roomier than the newer cover girl cabin. I would do a Gun if it were me, amazing rough water ride. Formula cabins very nice and the boats are solid, never been on a 382 in rough water.

6. Collapse Details

You picked two fairly different boats. Cigarette says balls-out performance boat with some creature comforts. Formula says family boat that can go fast.

Boats, like everyting else, are governed by the laws of physics. Longer boats bridge waves and heavier boats push the water out of the way. There wasn't much better a rough water boat than the Cig 35- until they made it 31 inches longer and 6" deeper- and added another ton of weight (the 38). Same with the Formula- 24 degree vee, lots of heft= nice ride. You take 3000 lbs out of an older gun and it's going to stop pushing waves out of the way and start skipping across the top of them.

One thing I always make sure to emphasise to a relatively new performance boater- you won't have the boat long. You're either going to hate it and bail or love it and want more. Either way, buy something easy to resell. Cig and Formula both fit that bill well. Plus, if you buy a Cigarette, all you'll have to answer is "yes" when they ask if it's one of them there Coigarette boats.

7. Collapse Details

Congrats. Are you moving there from Illinois or is this a second property? I've got some seat time in a 353 at LOTO and it does OK.

8. Collapse Details

Had both a 353 & 382! The 35 is good all around w/ a decent cabin, the 38 takes a bunch more power 2 run w/ a 35 but ride was better I think from both weight & extra length! bit larger cabin in the 38! great 4 an overnight here & there! I had 500efi
    's in the 35, no boxes & it would hit 80 on a good day, had 575sci's w/ ITS boxes in the 38 & I never saw 80! good luck!!!

9. Collapse Details

It's a second home, Knot. One might conclude that since I haven't been posting I've been working .

I confess the preference for the cigs, and the cabin layout is nice. My wife would prefer a 400SS, hence the potential need for a little compromise.

I appreciate the feedback. I know that the formulas offer a few amenities, and that the cigs are more hardcore. I forsee trailering the boat for summer fun in the midwest and leaving it on the lift at Fort Myers over the winter. A 35' will be a little easier to deal with.

I also need to consider that I'll want to run with new friends. I don't want to regret the cafe because I can't keep up with everyone in longer boats, or regret the 357 because it's not fast enough. Putting my current 625's in the next boat is an option.

10. Collapse Details

Charter Member
    You need to look at a 37 Active Thunder

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Frequency View Post
    It's a second home, Knot. One might conclude that since I haven't been posting I've been working .

I confess the preference for the cigs, and the cabin layout is nice. My wife would prefer a 400SS, hence the potential need for a little compromise.

I appreciate the feedback. I know that the formulas offer a few amenities, and that the cigs are more hardcore. I forsee trailering the boat for summer fun in the midwest and leaving it on the lift at Fort Myers over the winter. A 35' will be a little easier to deal with.

I also need to consider that I'll want to run with new friends. I don't want to regret the cafe because I can't keep up with everyone in longer boats, or regret the 357 because it's not fast enough. Putting my current 625's in the next boat is an option.
    I was in the same predicament last year. The Formulas are nice but a bit heavy for ease of trailereing. Cigs are great performance oriented, but in all honesty you really have to watch what you get. I wanted something unique. There are some great Cigs around and there are some with some history. If you got power and drives. I will concider selling the Avanti without power. It's not a Cig. but great harritage and awsome racing history.
    Life is: what happens... when you plan something else.

12. Collapse Details

Towing opens up an entirely new can of worms. A TG is goiing to need the capabilities you're only going to find in a dually pickup. The 35 can be towed by a SRW 1 ton.

13. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by f311fr1 View Post
    You need to look at a 37 Active Thunder
    I agree.

You may also want to check out the Monopoly Black Thunder thats for sale.

14. Collapse Details

I saw this the other day while browsing. Should run 75 with the 500's. disclaimer......I dont know the boat nor the owner just thought i would pass it along.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o28304-en.html

15. Collapse Details

Congrats! Love the Ft. Meyers area. Been going down there on and off since '78.

Sounds like a nice cabin will be a plus for the wife. Though the 353 has a nice cabin, it is tight...especially the head. As much as I hate to admit it (damn Cult!), a 37' AT would be a good choice. A 38 Avenger has a huge cabin and the post 2000 models ran decent speeds.

16. Collapse Details

registered
    How about a 42 Fountain???

17. Collapse Details

I've got a 382....a buddy runs a 35 Cafe, one has a 38TG, and another recently sold a 37AT. All great boats with slightly different purposes. The Cig should ride the best but I wouldn't want one for overnighting much at all. The 37AT is a great riding boat (close to a 38TG IMO) and most will have good cabins for overnighting. The downside is there aren't as many out there for sale and finding one could be difficult....of course that makes them soemwhat unique out on the water. My 382 rides great but probably 3rd on this list. The cabin is the best though and since we overnight alot this is what we wanted. With a little over 600hp I can hit 80 anyday, have A/C, vacu-flush head, sink, refrig, and even a microwave. These do take more power to move though, a twin step gun will not have a cabin at all but be 8-9 mph faster with the same power. Any of these boats needs a dually to tow IMO.

18. Collapse Details

registered
    I was fortunate enough to secure a property in Fort Myers recently, so it is time to start looking for a proper boat to park in the back yard. My Envision is not quite right for this location. Criteria are ride quality, cockpit room and a full cabin. Something that will make for a pleasant run up or down the coast and maybe overnight onboard once in a while.

Based on my own research I think I'm looking for a 90's cig (cafe or gun) or formula (357/353 or 382). My wife would be leaning toward the formulas if the ride quality is there. I'm looking for real world advise on these boats based on my criteria. Questions I'm asking myself: is a top gun ride that much better than a cafe? A 353 will be relatively fast, but at what point does the water get big enough that we're getting beat up? Are there other models I should be considering?

Thoughts are appreciated!
    Greg
    Personally, I would buy a Top Gun!!! There are plenty of great deals out there on all brands!! It's a buyers market for sure.

If you would want an Active Thunder, Here is a good one for not much $$$:

http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o23739-en.html

I know both previous owners of the boat and it's been well maintained it's entire life. PM Sydwayz here for more info. He can put you in touch with the owner.

Craig

19. Collapse Details

Here you go......... Pick one.......

20. Collapse Details

If your "wife would prefer a 400SS" you had probably beter get the 382 formula instead of the Cig unless you want to be selling it halfway through the summer because she hates it.

The Formulas have great cabins the only problem is the company you will be keeping