Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
  1. Collapse Details

Charlie - the Old Hennesy Grand Prix was from Point Pleasant to Long Island - (a light house cant remember the name - a senior moment) - then back to Brooklyn, then south to Point Pleasant - about 110 miles - 60 miles of open ocean - Ya Need a compass for this one - and in the afternoon during the summer, the swells are from the South East - No lake racing here !

Phil

2. Collapse Details

Icon/Founding Member Top Banana's Avatar
    Rhode Island - Summers / Florida - Winters
    Quote Originally Posted by NNRT View Post
    Charlie - the Old Hennesy Grand Prix was from Point Pleasant to Long Island - (a light house cant remember the name - a senior moment) - then back to Brooklyn, then south to Point Pleasant - about 110 miles - 60 miles of open ocean - Ya Need a compass for this one - and in the afternoon during the summer, the swells are from the South East - No lake racing here !

Phil
    Your right, I do remember now.

Got lost off the Long Island side one time in the fog and ran along the beach until we recognized something familiar and took off with a new heading from there.

That would be a fun time, but I think the old course was more than 110 miles.
    Light travels faster than sound....that is why some people appear bright until we hear them speak!!

3. Collapse Details

At one time, it would run up and down the beach a few times, then head out to Fire Island - then back to Brooklyn, then down to Point Pleasant - I won the production class prize in 1972 - in a 28 Bertram Baron - had only 100 gallons of fuel - and ran out of gas after crossing the finish line - My sponsor owned a gas station - I radioed him, told him to send out 10 gallons of gas - and I came in under my own power - I was not about to be towed in, after winning ! A First win for me at anything ! The race was just over 100 miles long - 60 miles to Fire Island, down the beach to Brooklyn, then back to Point !

Navigation was the key to that race- I can remember seeing people going East along Long Island, trying to find the check point - and others still went too far east and headed out to Montauk

Those were the days that raw speed meant nothing - a compas was needed !

Phil