Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    9.50 R 16.5 Trailer Tires
    Any suggestion on trailer tires in this size. Trying to get a buddies trailer ready for a trip to NY in a month or so. Need 6 of them.

2. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MattBMiller View Post
    Any suggestion on trailer tires in this size. Trying to get a buddies trailer ready for a trip to NY in a month or so. Need 6 of them.
    I'll look and get back to you.
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

3. Collapse Details

Couple questions?
    Do the tires have to be round? What color?
    Hey, Matt make sure the tires are good ones

4. Collapse Details

Forgot to mention....These tires are going on Prince's old boat. "Purple Rain"

5. Collapse Details

Charter Member
    If you can find "Dock Holiday" he might be able to give you a suggestion. He has traveled well over 50k mile and never had a tire failure with his Myco. It has 16" tires on it.
    Jay

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MattBMiller View Post
    I'll see what I can find today.

Mitch
    Mama still tries!!

7. Collapse Details

The best deal I could could find will be on the Firestone Transforce HT 10ply, $144.00 a tire plus shiping to you. Our Firestone truck comes on Thursday if it works for ya.

Mitch
    800-231-2295 ext#129
    Mama still tries!!

8. Collapse Details

Mitch are those trailer tires or truck? I noticed that trailer tires are hard to find in 16" and that most truck tires are rated load E.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch32 View Post
    The best deal I could could find will be on the Firestone Transforce HT 10ply, $144.00 a tire plus shiping to you. Our Firestone truck comes on Thursday if it works for ya.

Mitch
    800-231-2295 ext#129
    Thanks. Just forwarded that info on.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch32 View Post

Mitch
    800-231-2295 ext#129
    These are LT truck tires. I ran the 16" tire (not 16.5") on my last trailer, and LOVED them. I never had an issue with them. Friends at www.lightning-motorsports.com turned me on to them after running them for several years on Myco trailers with no issues. You will love them as trailer tires.
    Brian Tillett; Active Thunder Factory Representative
    wwwActiveThunderBoats.com
    brian(a)activethunderboats.com

11. Collapse Details

Thanks Brian
    Mama still tries!!

12. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 38fountainSC View Post
    Mitch are those trailer tires or truck? I noticed that trailer tires are hard to find in 16" and that most truck tires are rated load E.
    Goodyear makes a 16 inch Trl. Tire that is the best, bar none.
    It's a G614 RST, 235/85R16, 14ply. nothing else compares!!
    then again at $239.00 a tire, it needs to be the best!!

Mitch
    Mama still tries!!

13. Collapse Details
    9.50-16.5 (E Load)
    I'm looking to replace the Goodyear Workhorse's in this size that are on my South Florida trailer. The tread is great on them but they are starting to dry-rot. I had looked for the Workhorse tires about a year ago and was told by Tirerack that Goodyear had stopped making them. However I just Googled them now and I see that Sears is selling them for 180.00 each. Sears also sells the aforementioned Firestone Transforce HT in this size for 150.00 each. The Firestone Transforce HT gets really good ratings on Tireracks site from consumers that have them and they have them listed for 136.00 each.

Not sure which ones I should replace with..the Goodyears have been good to me and doing a search on the other site shows that members had good luck with them also, but that info is from 2006 and older, nothing current.

14. Collapse Details

JB,
    I'd go with the Firestone. No sign of them wavering in their decision to continue making them or not; and just about any tire shop has them or can get them in an emergency.

15. Collapse Details

Might do that Brian, though Tirerack might have just told me that if they no longer carried the Workhorse series and wanted me to just buy something else..

FWIW :

Max Load Rating - Workhorse 3195 lbs vs Transforce HT 3170 lbs
    Overall Diameter - Workhorse 30.2" vs Transforce HT 30.6"
    Tread Width - Workhorse 6.1" vs Transforce HT 7.3"
    Rim Width Range - Workhorse 6.8" to 8.3" vs Transforce HT 6.75" to 8.25"

The only thing that is an issue in my case is the tread width and height, the Transforces' are wider and taller. I really have very very little clearance between the tires and the fenders with the current Workhorses on and the Transforces might not fit or would rub.

16. Collapse Details

Interesting. I bought a GY Workhorse derivative for my Tahoe several years ago, and they had HUGE tread on them; which is why I bought them. They handled like crap because of such and I took them back 1 day later. That's irrelevant here though.

Can you move the fender up a bit? My last trailer had teardrops that came down across the front for aesthetics, but they were doing damage to my tire treads while turning. As such I opened he cutouts bigger, and also pried them outwards.

Your current GY Workhorses are worn a bit too, and you are still tight...

You may even look to drop a tire size to add some more room. Hate to suggest that, as the bigger the tire, the cooler it runs. However, if the clearance is that tight, you may want to do so. As you know with a tight clearance, you increase you chances for contact, especially while tight maneuvering. With the tight clearance, in the case of tire failure, you are all that more likely to involve the fender and create more havoc which could include boat damage.

17. Collapse Details

That trailer pictured above came with Road King tires. A couple of them have lasted 6+ years with quite a few long trips. If you come across them, I'd say they are decent.

You might also look into www.coopertires.com . I've run them on trucks, and others have run them on trailers. They have two different trailer tires listed under LT on their website, but their site is not conducive to searching by type; just size.
    Last edited by Sydwayz; 04-02-2009 at 03:34 PM.

18. Collapse Details

Yeah, I have thought about the blowout-domino's effect..I'm going to see if I can adjust or even bend the fenders to give me more room..wheres my jackhammer !

Back on topic, there really arent many choices of tires in this size and rating, we are limited.

19. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie B. View Post
    Yeah, I have thought about the blowout-domino's effect..I'm going to see if I can adjust or even bend the fenders to give me more room..wheres my jackhammer !

Back on topic, there really arent many choices of tires in this size and rating, we are limited.
    I'll call today on the workhorse today, and see if it's still in production. Tire Rack is usually a straight shooter, we buy and sell with them weekly.
    Last edited by Mitch32; 04-03-2009 at 06:52 AM.
    Mama still tries!!

20. Collapse Details

It seems that the Workhorse is only made in a Bias now, at least thats all I could find. No one even had a listing for a radical. FYI the bias are $214.00 per tire.
    Mama still tries!!