Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by IrishTornado View Post
    On another side note does anyone know much about the Taurus Judge? I was looking at it for more of a home defense weapon than a carry, but considering you can load it with either .45ACP or .410 shot shells seems like a good carry weapon as well. And being a revolver it's reliable...Thoughts?
    friend of mine has a Judge and he juggles between the .410 shot and hard loads as well... he likes it.... may have to look into this.... who has idea's for a 5 or 6 hit .22 auto for carry? I want an ankle strap carry when riding the Harley... I have big hands but want to keep the weight down.. great thread..
    does Santa's sleigh have a blower ?

2. Collapse Details

The .410 would be good if you got into a scrap with a pigeon or squirrel. But it's not something I'd want to bet my life on trading fire with someone that wanted to kill me.

If I really considered carrying a .22, it would only be in a revolver. The cartridge is too long and narrow to have the confidence I'd want in feeding in an autoloader. Also the rimfire priming is cause for concern. Lastly would be its ballistic capabilities, which aren't bad but not stellar either. On the other hand, a weapon sitting in your nightstand is only helpful if you're in bed. You gotta' have it with you for it to be of any use.

3. Collapse Details

Registered
    No handgun has "knockdown power", they simply don't generate the power. you don't state which HK you are talking about, the MK23 is huge and expensive, (poor choice) the USP is a conventional size and is a good weapon. The Ruger P series doesn't get the credit it deserves, I have lots of guns and it is the one auto that I know will go bang no matter how dirty it is or what i put in it. Caliber doesn't really matter with today's modern HP designs. This is considering adequate rounds, 9mm - 45ACP. For your first gun I would suggest a good .357 revolver though. Reliable, easy to shoot (especially w/.38spl.), and easy to maintain. You also need a good .22 so you can shoot a lot and become proficient.

4. Collapse Details

Springfield XD series?

Anyone talk about these yet? I had a chance to fire one along side my .40 USP HK. I was very impressed with the firing and handling, I fired a 9MM and my groupings were UFB! Much tighter than my HK.

They are priced really well, and NRA handgun of the year!

I am looking to buy a 9MM for about $550.00 ! Half of what it would cost for an HK!

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by JETJOCK View Post
    Springfield XD series?

Anyone talk about these yet? I had a chance to fire one along side my .40 USP HK. I was very impressed with the firing and handling, I fired a 9MM and my groupings were UFB! Much tighter than my HK.

They are priced really well, and NRA handgun of the year!

I am looking to buy a 9MM for about $550.00 ! Half of what it would cost for an HK!
    I have the 4" XD .40 and love it. I can shoot better with this gun than any other I have shot. Only downsize is it is a little wide to be comfortable carrying. Tha is why I am looking for a 3" 1911 .45 for carry purposes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails XD-40 005.jpg   XD-40 002.jpg  

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Sea-Dated View Post
    I have the 4" XD .40 and love it. I can shoot better with this gun than any other I have shot. Only downsize is it is a little wide to be comfortable carrying. Tha is why I am looking for a 3" 1911 .45 for carry purposes.

YOU GUYS HAVE GOT TO SHOOT AN XD!

I was shocked! This cannot be stated enough!

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by JETJOCK View Post
    YOU GUYS HAVE GOT TO SHOOT AN XD!

I was shocked! This cannot be stated enough!
    Nice gun, but if you want a better polymer gun, try a Smith M&P. Better ergo's (for most), lower barrel for better recoil, made in the US, just all around better. I was just reading an M4 forum handgun section and A LOT of people are trading in XD's for M&P's.

Also, if you want a 40 but haven't liked the feel of it yet, try an M&P, it was designed around that cartridge and many report it handles it very well.

I sold a Sig 229 Elite (nice, expensive gun) because it wasn't nearly as fun to shoot as the M&P 40.

8. Collapse Details

My dealer told me friday that he has had quite a few M&P's come back due to issues lately. They are nice guns although I like the the XD better.
    Last edited by Trim'd Up; 01-04-2010 at 11:08 AM.