Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    New Handgun Advice Needed
    I'm looking at getting a new handgun and I'm up in the air on what cal. I think I want an HK .45 but some say it's too big and bulky. A buddy has an HK .45 that I've shot and I really liked it. Others are telling me to go with 9mm but I think I want something with more "knock down" power. I have very limited knowledge with handguns. My experience is with long guns. Any suggestions?

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Hilltop Kyle View Post
    I'm looking at getting a new handgun and I'm up in the air on what cal. I think I want an HK .45 but some say it's too big and bulky. A buddy has an HK .45 that I've shot and I really liked it. Others are telling me to go with 9mm but I think I want something with more "knock down" power. I have very limited knowledge with handguns. My experience is with long guns. Any suggestions?
    Knowing that you are married...... keep them locked up
    Please see other post. http://seriousoffshore.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5279

Sorry Kyle, I had to!
    Mahopac Marina
    Outerlimits/Sunsation & Stingray Dealer
    www.mahopacmarina.com 845-628-6550 sales@mahopacmarina.com

3. Collapse Details

Damn man...That's just wrong!!!

4. Collapse Details

I picked up a Springfield XD45 a little while back. Shoot one if you get a chance. Very nice for the money.

If you're going for a carry gun, the Para-Ordnance Warthog is a great fun. I should have one ina week or two.

5. Collapse Details

It depends what you're goingto do with it. You mention "knock down power" so I assume you're thinking about personal defense. If so, an autoloading pistol is a poor choice for a first handgun. While they're more reliable that they used to be, unless you possess a significant proficiency at clearing drills, in the dark, while being accosted or fired upon, that failure-to-feed might cost you your life. A revolver is a much better choice. 38 special with a +P load is the ballistic equivalent to a .40 S&W and a .357 Magnum is going to have a distinct margin over the 45ACP. Plus, a pistol you don't have with you isn't really of much use. If you're going to carry, the HK45/USP is a large, cumbersome piece designed to be a military sidearm, not a conceald carry weapon. If it's not comfortable, it will likely get left at home.

I tell EVERYONE this same thing about a first handgun. Make the commitment to become proficient in its use. Take some lessons. Most CCW instructors offer advanced training. Then shoot often. If you're not shooting at least 3 or 4 times a month, you have no business carrying a weapon.

6. Collapse Details

Keep in mind more knock down power is non discretionary... In other words going through a wall or two to a loved ones bedroom or even the house next door... One reason my CCW instructor said hollow points to cut down penetration is as much a consideration to get the right ammo in home defense as the gun itslef.

7. Collapse Details

http://seriousoffshore.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4910

You probably saw my above thread. The nice thing about the Sig pistols is with a rail and clip swap, you can have several guns in one.
    Brian Tillett; Active Thunder Factory Representative
    wwwActiveThunderBoats.com
    brian(a)activethunderboats.com

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Tempest38 View Post
    Keep in mind more knock down power is non discretionary... In other words going through a wall or two to a loved ones bedroom or even the house next door... One reason my CCW instructor said hollow points to cut down penetration is as much a consideration to get the right ammo in home defense as the gun itslef.
    A 12 Ga with 00 buck is still the best home defense gun.

9. Collapse Details

Go to a range with a large rental department, rent several makes and calibers and buy the one that feels the most natural.

10. Collapse Details

Good advice from everyone else. Just to add, knockdown power doesn't do you much good if you miss. Most people can shoot a 9mm (or .38) way better than they can shoot a .45.

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jmeng View Post
    Good advice from everyone else. Just to add, knockdown power doesn't do you much good if you miss. Most people can shoot a 9mm (or .38) way better than they can shoot a .45.
    I went with the .40 because I saw it as great compromise between the stopping power of a .45 withouth the kick and it is easier to shoot than the .45.

12. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Go to a range with a large rental department, rent several makes and calibers and buy the one that feels the most natural.
    Good advice. Get comfortable and try out a few before buying. I have the HK USP in .40. It would not make a good concealed carry weapon. .40 caliber ammo is a little cheaper and easier to find than .45 Keep that in mind. I carry a Ruger 9mm with self defense hollow points. It is a fairly large frame pistol also, but I feel comfortable with it. Not one you can hide under a t-shirt with shorts. If I was going to carry at all times I would go with Chris's suggestion and get a S&W 38 revolver.

13. Collapse Details

The comment oabout shotguns for home defense is right on. Compared to a 12ga pump, handguns are toys. Virtually all indoor confrontations happen at ranges of less than 9 feet. Why not use something absolutely foolproof?

The other issue is is overshoot and over-penetration. You own each projectile you fire. If you kill the neighbor's kid in the process, there's not going to really be any way out of it. Big magnum calibers penetrate- they'll go through walls and doors. )) buck doesn't. And back to the 9 foot thing- you don't need magnum stopping power at those ranges. .40S&W was mentioned- a good compromise caliber. More power than the 9mm/38 Special but controllable, even in a smaller pistol. The hollowpoints are a benefit on over-penetration but at the same time, they're more jam-prone in all but the most expensive handguns. If over-penetration is a concern, there's an ammo available called "frangible". It's made to work well on human tarets but shatter when striking hard objects.

14. Collapse Details

Thanks for all the input. Some things I had not considered. Here is a little more background on me. I have been handling firearms for 20+ years. I have been hunting since I was 7yrs old. I have several shotguns and have lots of experience with them. I have a S&W airweight .38 that I keep under the bed with hydra-shock bullets. I do like the idea of some 00 buck shot in my Rem. 870 as an additional option. It's just my wife and I and the dog in our house and we live in the country with no neighbors homes that could possibly be hit with a handgun round. Maybe with my .338. Like I said earlier, I shot a friend's HK 45 and I really liked the feel and accuracy. I was able to shoot a good group at about 15yds. If I do any concealed carry it will be with the 38 because of its small size. The 45 or maybe 40 would be a side arm if carried. I have no experience with a 40 cal, I thougt it's ammo would be more difficult than the 45 to buy. Should I be giving more thought to the 40?

15. Collapse Details

Our accountant's husband has a S&W 9mm SW9VE that she brought in and it's practically brand new. Only 5 rounds fired through it. I can buy it for $300 with 3 clips, is that a good gun? It is one to add to my collection, I still want either a 45 or 40.

16. Collapse Details

Love my 40.....have a 9 as well.. Looking to get a 45 one day.. But like stated the 40 is a good little round.. My 40 is also some what compact..it stays near me all the time.

17. Collapse Details

Kyle, remind me not to pi$$ you off if I see you in July/August at Cumberland for the Formula get together! I'm a SA 1911-A1 fan. The XD is nice as well.

18. Collapse Details

I have an SA 4" XD .40 and love it. It is a large gun but with the right holster you can carry it wearing anything. I am looking at stepping up to SA 1911 .45 3" sometime this year but I really love my XD .40

19. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Hilltop Kyle View Post
    Our accountant's husband has a S&W 9mm SW9VE that she brought in and it's practically brand new. Only 5 rounds fired through it. I can buy it for $300 with 3 clips, is that a good gun? It is one to add to my collection, I still want either a 45 or 40.
    Is that a Sigma model? If so the price seems a little high. Seems like they are around $300 new? I could be wrong on that though. Never really cared for the S&W Sigmas. Seemed very entry level to me. If you're looking for a polymer frame auto, the S&W MP is nice and the Springfield XD is popular too.

20. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me View Post
    Kyle, remind me not to pi$$ you off if I see you in July/August at Cumberland for the Formula get together! I'm a SA 1911-A1 fan. The XD is nice as well.
    He He... Better watch out. Thanks for the info on the SA.