Thread: Opinion wanted

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Opinion wanted
    Registered
    Lets say one day that the organizers /managers of this board decided to have a convention. A 2-3 day event where sponsors could show off their products and everyone on here could meet one another...say some safety seminars,some driving seminars , tech stuff etc. etc.

A big dinner blah blah blah where some members could show off their sheep.

Where would all of you think the most central location in the USA would be taking in consideration where all the members live.

Is it NYC , is it Miami , is it Atlanta ?

2. Collapse Details

I like it. There are many folks that I have been wanting to meet.

It would help strengthen existing relationships and make new ones.

What about Vegas? Cheap flights from many places.
    Warning: This post may contain language unsuitable for minors or math not suitable for liberal-arts majors.

3. Collapse Details

Do it in the winter time, some where warm.

4. Collapse Details

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by fund razor View Post

Didnt think of Vegas... Good idea

5. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fund razor View Post

I agree, easiest, and cheapest, place to get to on the planet.
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

6. Collapse Details

Vegas in the winter, I would def. go!

7. Collapse Details

Good call on the Vegas idea.
    I've never been there, but have wanted to go for a long time, and I'll only be a few hour drive away.
    I'm in - and offering to help organize such an event.
    PM on how I can help.
    When do you want to schedule it?
    "Keep the bottle on the bar Ira, I won't be long".

8. Collapse Details

someplace with a very well stocked bar that would never run dry, with all the facilities/ameneties on site, so no one would have to drive anywhere, and with little keyfobs on the room keys, no matter where you are on premises, when you get too drunk to stand, you hit the button, a porter automatically finds you, loads you onto a luggage cart and takes you to your room.
    P-4077 "The Swamp" S.B.Y.C. and Michigan medboat mothership

9. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by phragle View Post
    someplace with a very well stocked bar that would never run dry, with all the facilities/ameneties on site, so no one would have to drive anywhere, and with little keyfobs on the room keys, no matter where you are on premises, when you get too drunk to stand, you hit the button, a porter automatically finds you, loads you onto a luggage cart and takes you to your room.
    That doesn't even narrow it down by a single hotel!

10. Collapse Details

aren't these get togethers called poker runs?

warm place in winter? KW for a week in November? Most all of the sponsors will be there or represented. A good majority of members are already there.

I think you are putting alot of thought into something that is already planned, you just need to show up.

11. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean H View Post
    aren't these get togethers called poker runs?

warm place in winter? KW for a week in November? Most all of the sponsors will be there or represented. A good majority of members are already there.

I think you are putting alot of thought into something that is already planned, you just need to show up.
    Between Key West and the boating season up north. Many of us can't bring our boats to the poker runs in Florida during Jan, Feb, March. And nothing happens up here until June.

Maybe a SO gathering place at Key West? But it seems like the Partying became the norm there, like it was before SO.

12. Collapse Details

the only problem with this is...well would we ever be invited back anywhere?? bobcats wasted riding luggage carts thru the hallway, Stecz is drunk preaching and selling koolaid in the lobby, kv is running rc boats in the pond in front, david is postwhoring with a sharpy on the bathroom wall, Chris is screaming "everybody please calm down", clay has turned the lobby into a strip club, I'm drunk swinging from the chandeliers, Wrinks dog is pulling the luggae cart bobcats riding... we are still waiting for Gellner floaty keychains, frankie is trying to sell the valet a new bayliner..... and thats the FIRST day..
    P-4077 "The Swamp" S.B.Y.C. and Michigan medboat mothership

13. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    Between Key West and the boating season up north. Many of us can't bring our boats to the poker runs in Florida during Jan, Feb, March. And nothing happens up here until June.

Maybe a SO gathering place at Key West? But it seems like the Partying became the norm there, like it was before SO.
    that was my point, most everybody is in KW for the worlds already... why not just plan whatever you want during that week... I wouldn't try to do it on thursday, friday or saturday, but actually... the rest of the week is pretty laid back.

I don't think you are going to get any more or any less done in vegas....

14. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by catastrophe View Post
    Lets say one day that the organizers /managers of this board decided to have a convention. A 2-3 day event where sponsors could show off their products and everyone on here could meet one another...say some safety seminars,some driving seminars , tech stuff etc. etc.

A big dinner blah blah blah where some members could show off their sheep.

Where would all of you think the most central location in the USA would be taking in consideration where all the members live.

Is it NYC , is it Miami , is it Atlanta ?

if you book vegas, you better bring bail money for you and me.....
    Hi, Im Dave.. Welcome, glad to have ya.....

15. Collapse Details

Looking at the idea as it was presented in the initial post, I think the thought was for something beyond a weekend of "drink-till-your-blind" partying. (though there's nothing wrong with that ) I think the proposal to devote SOME of the time to product demos and exhbits, maybe seminars about safety, performance, and maybe some "workshops" or panel discussions about where the sport is going - where it needs to go - the history of offshore racing - how to do poker runs - how to promote or "grow" the sport - might not be a bad idea.

This is "serious" stuff. Events like this [idea] help build consensus among the group, create a sense of direction, and encourage frank face-to-face discussion, which is something that might be helpful, in some cases...

As for where - you'd think somewhere on the water would be nice, but not absolutely necessary. You look at the demographics [locations] of the people in the group, and using a map, try to centralize. Actually, such an event might not be bad for attracting new members and making ourselves more visible [and I don't mean on TruTV] - lots of "conferences" like this make money, too. Another option: isn't there a marine or performance equip. conference that you could "piggyback" on - i.e., meet same place, same dates?

16. Collapse Details

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by stecz20 View Post
    if you book vegas, you better bring bail money for you and me.....
    I'll just come to Jersey. At least we'll have someone close to post bail.

17. Collapse Details

I'll just come to Jersey. At least we'll have someone close to post bail.
    when you and i get together bad things will happen.. would peter get mad if we got him locked up too??
    Hi, Im Dave.. Welcome, glad to have ya.....

18. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by BlackJack58 View Post
    Looking at the idea as it was presented in the initial post, I think the thought was for something beyond a weekend of "drink-till-your-blind" partying. (though there's nothing wrong with that ) I think the proposal to devote SOME of the time to product demos and exhbits, maybe seminars about safety, performance, and maybe some "workshops" or panel discussions about where the sport is going - where it needs to go - the history of offshore racing - how to do poker runs - how to promote or "grow" the sport - might not be a bad idea.

This is "serious" stuff. Events like this [idea] help build consensus among the group, create a sense of direction, and encourage frank face-to-face discussion, which is something that might be helpful, in some cases...

As for where - you'd think somewhere on the water would be nice, but not absolutely necessary. You look at the demographics [locations] of the people in the group, and using a map, try to centralize. Actually, such an event might not be bad for attracting new members and making ourselves more visible [and I don't mean on TruTV] - lots of "conferences" like this make money, too. Another option: isn't there a marine or performance equip. conference that you could "piggyback" on - i.e., meet same place, same dates?

I agree with every thing you are saying. But I also thing KW is the time and the place to do it. So many people will be there from this site and the others. We could be the leaders in moving the sport farward but offering these opertunities to a group the is really interested. It may grow into a stand alone event, but this is a great way to start it! IMHO
    Taking Over the World One Thread at a Time
    The Penguin Cometh

19. Collapse Details

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean H View Post
    that was my point, most everybody is in KW for the worlds already... why not just plan whatever you want during that week... I wouldn't try to do it on thursday, friday or saturday, but actually... the rest of the week is pretty laid back.

I don't think you are going to get any more or any less done in vegas....
    Firstly I'm not promoting anything..just throwing out a topic for conversations sake and opinions from the group.

But doing something at a poker run is like celebrating your birthday on Christmas morning...its a sidebar and not the time and place to do what I put forward.

Poker runs have enough to occupy ones time and effort with all that goes with the actual boating.

Forgetting the comradery and the lineup outside The KIng of Koolaids room for a shot at his sheep, there are a lot of topics namely legal ...safety...governmental...insurance...image....tech...
    driving skills....charity....organizing and promoting local poker runs...etc. etc. that could be discussed while we accomplish the important goal of meeting one another face to face.

This group is large enough to warrant its own event and not be a tag along for something that is already happening.

And if no one is thrown out a top floor window this wouldn't
    hurt the industries reputation.

Just my .02 I'm not a travel agent so nothing for me to gain.
    Just a lot of good guys on here and it would be real neat to meet some of them.

20. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    And if no one is thrown out a top floor window this wouldn't
    hurt the industries reputation.
    Damn, there goes our big plans.