Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Looking for my first boat
    I'm new here and am looking to buy a first boat. I'm looking in the 25' range and I think I've got my choices down to Sunsation aggressor, Velocity 26' or possibly a 25' outlaw. I'll probablly do some overnights on the boat and will be doing most of my boating on lake erie out of Marblehead. I'm just looking for opinions and suggestions. I think the boats I have mentioned will be good beginner type boats and seem like they would be able to be had in my price range. I'm looking to spend about 25k and just want something to have some fun on this summer and get my feet wet in the boating scene.

I did find a pretty good deal on a 25' outlaw out in Iowa and I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on someone that does surveys out there and what to expect to pay. I'm in NW Ohio so i can't really just drive over and check it out.

Thanks for the advice,
    Brent

2. Collapse Details

Welcome to the best Performance Boat site on the net. Enjoy the ride!
    Taking Over the World One Thread at a Time
    The Penguin Cometh

3. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jethead View Post
    I'm new here and am looking to buy a first boat. I'm looking in the 25' range and I think I've got my choices down to Sunsation aggressor, Velocity 26' or possibly a 25' outlaw. I'll probablly do some overnights on the boat and will be doing most of my boating on lake erie out of Marblehead. I'm just looking for opinions and suggestions. I think the boats I have mentioned will be good beginner type boats and seem like they would be able to be had in my price range. I'm looking to spend about 25k and just want something to have some fun on this summer and get my feet wet in the boating scene.

I did find a pretty good deal on a 25' outlaw out in Iowa and I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on someone that does surveys out there and what to expect to pay. I'm in NW Ohio so i can't really just drive over and check it out.

Thanks for the advice,
    Brent

Welcome.

Post the Outlaw question on the Baja forum also. You may also PM Smittyseng and see what his opinion is. He has the fastest Baja I know of...
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Davidmnc View Post
    Welcome to the best Performance Boat site on the net. Enjoy the ride!
    Ditto.
    And.. I have a 26' infinity for sale. Just what you are looking for.
    Life is: what happens... when you plan something else.

5. Collapse Details

super nice 26 velocity listed for $29,900 @ alton blakely in somerset, ky near lake cumberland 500hp with around 200-300hrs i believe on the whole boat sorry i cant remember specifally i called about it back in july & august, was originally listed for $39k, they wasnt budging off that price then give em a call heres the link to the add http://www.abwatersports.com/Used_Ca...ington_KY.html

6. Collapse Details

^^^ I love those old T-breds but the area where you sleep in the berth looks like its only about 12'' tall.

7. Collapse Details

Thanks for the warm welcome to this site fellas, seems like a good place to hang out and learn about boating. Because as I said before I am a total rookie to the boating thing. I figure I'm bleeding money in the stock market, so I might as well take some of it and do my part to stimulate the economy!!!

8. Collapse Details

25 tantrum would be a good intro too.. active thunder
    Hi, Im Dave.. Welcome, glad to have ya.....

9. Collapse Details

I second the Active thunder Tantrum.. Buy the biggest boat you can afford,after one summer you are going to want a bigger one anyway

Have the boat surveyed(by someone that knows performance boats) no matter what brand or year..

Welcome and have fun. Oh yeah and watch out for that Stectz
    SOS NINJA dancing on the boundaries of hell.

10. Collapse Details

I've been keeping my eye out for Active Thunder Tantrums but it just dosen't seem like there are a lot of them out there.

11. Collapse Details

Welcome jethead.
    Warning: This post may contain language unsuitable for minors or math not suitable for liberal-arts majors.

12. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by fund razor View Post
    Welcome jethead.

13. Collapse Details

My vote is Sunsation, the Aggressor is an awesome boat! Fuel Efficient, Faster than most boats in it's class (and if not you can make it) And the customer service is freakin awesome!

14. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Sunsation96 View Post
    My vote is Sunsation, the Aggressor is an awesome boat! Fuel Efficient, Faster than most boats in it's class (and if not you can make it) And the customer service is freakin awesome!
    Have to agree. Like mentioned before the AT's are nice and buy the biggest boat you can afford. Shogren was a 288 Sunsation coming in more money than you were initially want to spending but seems like a good price at $39k

15. Collapse Details

Welcome. I would just like to add that for your first boat look for one with stock power. Although a big power engine seems attractive they can eat you up in repairs and maintenance. It will also help to know what your boat does like the manufacturer made it before trying to make it go faster. Ditto on buying as big as you can afford, but keep in mind not only the initial purchase but care and FEEDING. Too many people buy a boat that requires more to keep it than they thought and it ruins their experience.

16. Collapse Details

I tell this to everyone looking to step into performance boating- either buy something you can afford to throw away or something easy to resell. You won't be in it long. You're either going to LOVE it and want bigger/faster almost immediately, or the work and expense involved it going to get the best of you and you're going to say F-it.

That means something with a solid name brand and something modern. Or something you can steal. The boats you mentioned all have a good following, but not as strong as something like a Cigarette or a Fountain. The AT definitely has a following and the Baja name brand is well-recognized and a great bang-for-the-buck boat. Their "acquisition" by Fountain may or may not have effect on the value. I know Fountain has abandoned the brand's smaller boats so you're dependent on other Baja owners and some ex-Baja employees for support. Velocity is a niche boat- they're popular in places. North Carolina especially. Others you don't see them at all. It's more of a driver's boat than the others and the pad bottom takes more skill and attention. but when you factor length/weigh/horsepower together, the Velocity is going to be faster than just about any of them. But they're "less frilly" than alot of others.

The best advice I can give-

-It's your money. Learn all you can before you spend it. Emotion and impulse can be very expensive.

-A survey by a qualified high-performance surveyor is worth whatever it costs.

-Use your head. Get the title in your hand before you release the $$. Make sure the HIN matches the paperwork. Make the deal in writing and ensure it details everything. it sounds silly, but bad deals happen OFTEN. Especially in soft economic times. This advice includes dealers. MAJOR marine dealers have tanked and gone down with millions in other people's money- guys that waited months for boats that the dealer didn't really own when they sold them. Guys that made payments on loans they were contractually obligated to for boats they had no legal right of ownership upon.

17. Collapse Details

One last thing- the price of the boat is just the tip of the iceberg. People grossly underestimate what boats weigh and grossly over estimate their vehicle's ability to tow it. Maintenance can gobble up cash in a very rapid rate. Price drive lube, pump impellers, etc. Insurance is something you want to nail down BEFORE you begin to shop. If you're a younger guy with a bruised up driving record, there's a possibility you won't even be able to buy insurance. It's definite that it will be expensive. Even with a clean slate, insurance is tough- the morons are doing their best to ruin it for us by getting loaded up and running full speed in the dark... and so on. Boat insurance on your homeowner's policy is a very bad idea. Get real insurance from someone that does it for a living.

18. Collapse Details

Dude Sweet's Pantera is really nice. A bit bigger and neds a motor but I would have bought it in a second if I was shopping and it was for sale.

19. Collapse Details

Founding Member/Contributor Sean Stinson's Avatar
    follow chris's advice

20. Collapse Details

Icon/Founding Member Top Banana's Avatar
    Rhode Island - Summers / Florida - Winters
    If you have any interest in the old school look......check out www.bananaboatco.com

We make 24's and 28's from outboard to sterndrives.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3295594403_5db4af1bd5_o.jpg   2009BS-023.jpg   Miami Show Boat 09.jpg  

Light travels faster than sound....that is why some people appear bright until we hear them speak!!