Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Raising X Dim - $$$$$$
    Dean or anyone else.... got a quick question for ya...

Work has been really crazy and I'm not sure I'll have time to do my X-Dimension project....

Got a quote of $1500 each side with me doing all the de-rigging and re-rigging...

Sound high, low??? The plan was to fill the cut-outs and holes, raise and re-cut.

Thanks in advance!

Frank

2. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor MOBILEMERCMAN's Avatar
    Frank , Does that include exhaust holes and outside finish and paint?

3. Collapse Details

Frank i raised the X dimension on a small P.Q. last fall & charged him $1500 and that was for just doing the transom that never had Thru hull exhaust which was soon to follow along with respraying the transom. Frank when raiseing the X dimension you only have to fill the bottom part of the cut out where the drive was & and all the holes . Frank all and all if that is for everything that is a good price .

4. Collapse Details

cant you just go with shorties? surely you cant be going more than 2"?

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Offshoredrillin View Post

I think he has SSM drives. No shorites for them.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    I think he has SSM drives. No shorites for them.
    he has or had B max uppers.

7. Collapse Details

What are you waiting for thats cheaper than you can buy lowers. Tow the boat down Saturday & we'll lift them out!

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MOBILEMERCMAN View Post
    Frank , Does that include exhaust holes and outside finish and paint?
    Yep, includes everything including Gel instead of paint.

9. Collapse Details

Shorties are $7500... rip off...

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Ginger View Post
    Frank i raised the X dimension on a small P.Q. last fall & charged him $1500 and that was for just doing the transom that never had Thru hull exhaust which was soon to follow along with respraying the transom. Frank when raiseing the X dimension you only have to fill the bottom part of the cut out where the drive was & and all the holes . Frank all and all if that is for everything that is a good price .
    Thanks! As a matter of fact, he said he'd only fill the lower part as high as it's needed to re-cut ad fill all 4 exhaust holes. I guess I'm just too damn lazy to do it myself... I dunno, maybe I will cause supplies will be minimal.......

11. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor MOBILEMERCMAN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geronimo36 View Post
    Yep, includes everything including Gel instead of paint.
    Seems like a good price to me.

12. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MOBILEMERCMAN View Post
    Seems like a good price to me.
    Jimmy, you've done tons of rigging so if I go up an inch and a half, do you have an idea approximately how far back I'll have to move the forward offshore brackets that are mounted on the stringers?

13. Collapse Details

he has or had B max uppers.
    In that case, I would look for a pair of used shorties.

I agree, they are too expensive, but a heck of a lot less work.

14. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    In that case, I would look for a pair of used shorties.

I agree, they are too expensive, but a heck of a lot less work.
    Lookin at around $5K for used and $2K in new BMax vertical shafts cause you can't use Bravo shafts.

Looks like I'm going it all myself. I haven't made up my mind 100% but I'm leaning that way.

My labor is free and I'll probably have a couple hundred in supplies and I'll have the best in the business (Bob Saccenti) guiding me thru the process.. I may even call on Offshore Ginger and Glass Dave for some moral support!

15. Collapse Details

Lookin at around $5K for used and $2K in new BMax vertical shafts cause you can't use Bravo shafts.

Looks like I'm going it all myself. I haven't made up my mind 100% but I'm leaning that way.

My labor is free and I'll probably have a couple hundred in supplies and I'll have the best in the business (Bob Saccenti) guiding me thru the process.. I may even call on Offshore Ginger and Glass Dave for some moral support!
    I'm sure you know this but how much room will it leave under the hatch for the blowers? measure twice cut once.

16. Collapse Details

I'm sure you know this but how much room will it leave under the hatch for the blowers? measure twice cut once.
    Thanks for thinkin of me Rob, it was definitely an area I checked.

I currently have 1 1/2 - 2" of clearance under the lowest part of the hatch and the top of the flame arrestor. Worst cast I might have to cut two small half moon shaped reliefs at the rear 4-5" of the engine hatch but I wont have to modify the sun pad at all.

Looks like I will start on the project when I get back from Cali in a few weeks.

17. Collapse Details

Thanks for thinkin of me Rob, it was definitely an area I checked.

I currently have 1 1/2 - 2" of clearance under the lowest part of the hatch and the top of the flame arrestor. Worst cast I might have to cut two small half moon shaped reliefs at the rear 4-5" of the engine hatch but I wont have to modify the sun pad at all.

Looks like I will start on the project when I get back from Cali in a few weeks.
    in a few weeks or four, it will be middle of April, you'll start and it will wind up being a 4 week project by the time the tangibles kick in with Murphys law.
    know what, I'm going to say what quite a few have said to me. leave it alone. when you're out with your wife and the baby, you wont be at top end anyhow. we all get the itch to do the lil tweaks, and I am with mine, but not moving engines and such. by raising it your might get a mph or two? your boat looks and runs great in the mid to upper 80's... that is perfect in a 36 foot boat that will go through anything. just my 2 cents

18. Collapse Details

in a few weeks or four, it will be middle of April, you'll start and it will wind up being a 4 week project by the time the tangibles kick in with Murphys law.
    know what, I'm going to say what quite a few have said to me. leave it alone. when you're out with your wife and the baby, you wont be at top end anyhow. we all get the itch to do the lil tweaks, and I am with mine, but not moving engines and such. by raising it your might get a mph or two? your boat looks and runs great in the mid to upper 80's... that is perfect in a 36 foot boat that will go through anything. just my 2 cents
    ain't that the truth! maybe he can even squeeze out those last couple mphs with new props?

19. Collapse Details

I just did mine, 2" higher. I'm just now rerigging the engine room and will have engines in in a couple weeks. Mine was 3k to remove transom wood, install new wood, fill all holes and regel the exterior. I (with help) cut all the holes except the drain hole. It looks like new. I will rearrange the hinges on the hatch to get the blower/carb clearance. I'm thinking 4mph is not out of the question. My new x will be round about 4.25".

BT

20. Collapse Details

Rob, thanks for the input.

since I'm not really using the boat this year I don't have a schedule.

A little more history. The reason I'm changing it is after talking in detail with Bob the last couple years we relized my boat was originally built with 365 magnums and the X Dimension was set up for 3 Blade Mirage props. Fast forward a number of years and now I have 830 hp and 4 blade Bravo 1's and the X Dimension is 1 1/2" inches lower than where it's supposed to be with this power and prop.

Do I need to change it? No... Why do I want to change it??? Because if I run 3 Blade Mirage's which is what it was set up for, cruise speed will suck. Plus, with the drives being deeper than normal it's harder on equipment, both the drives and the engines.

By moving the drives up I will have a little higher slip, which in my case is a good thing but far less drag so in the end I kill two birds with one stone and the boat will run in the low 90's which is where it's supposed to run with teh amount of power I have.

I agree with the "If it ain't broke don't fix it" saying and it was my OSO signature for almost 5 years but in my opinion it's broke so I'm fixing it. I've wanted to do it for the past 3 years and now that I wont be using the boat this year I have lots of time to get er done!