Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10
  1. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor MOBILEMERCMAN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geronimo36 View Post
    Mad a lot of progress since we last spoke!
    Bringing it all to Rogers?

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MOBILEMERCMAN View Post
    Bringing it all to Rogers?
    As a matter of fact, yes! I brought the block and heads to Rogers yesterday! The block is having o-rings milled flat and a quick hone. I'm putting on new heads so he's doing the milling, valvejob and spring setup.

I'll be doing the complete assembly, paint, rigging!

Rogers shop hasn't changed much in the last 10-15 years! Great guys, great workmanship!!

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Ginger View Post
    Frank , when are you going to start slapping those bad boys together ?
    We'll have to see how everything goes with the machine work Artie! Rings, Bearings, lifters, oil pump, fuel pump, pump rod, fuel pump rod, timing chain, gaskets etc. etc are all on order. Assuming there's no snafo's with the machine work I expect 2-3 wks and an empty wallet!

In the meantime I have to get 25 gallons of fresh parts cleaner so I can start cleaning all this junk up so it's ready for assembly!

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Geronimo36 View Post
    We'll have to see how everything goes with the machine work Artie! Rings, Bearings, lifters, oil pump, fuel pump, pump rod, fuel pump rod, timing chain, gaskets etc. etc are all on order. Assuming there's no snafo's with the machine work I expect 2-3 wks and an empty wallet!

In the meantime I have to get 25 gallons of fresh parts cleaner so I can start cleaning all this junk up so it's ready for assembly!
    What about a new Msd dist. that thing looks pretty crusty in the pic!

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Bill N View Post
    What about a new Msd dist. that thing looks pretty crusty in the pic!
    They all look like that Billy. Amazing isn't it? lol Just needs a little TLC.

6. Collapse Details

Just realized I never updated this thread.... So here it goes....

The project started out late last year... My stbd. engine had 250 hrs and I felt it was time for a basic refresh. I tore the engine down to a bare block and took all the necessary measurements along the way..

the first step was to get the parts to my machine shop (Rogers Speed Shop) in Garwood, NJ. The block on this engine originally had 0-rings and it became a real PITA finding head gaskets and also head gaskets that would properly seal the block.. So Gary machined the deck of the block flat so I could use cometic gaskets and finished honed the cylinders for me since all the bore measurements were in spec.

I also bought new Merlin heads and Gary machined and installed all new 11/32 valves (SS intake/Tit. Exhaust), seals, springs and retainers with 10* locks.

The crank, rods and pistons were in excellent shape so the crank didn't even need to be polished, nor did the rods need conditioning... The pistons will need to be replaced next rebuild but for this time they were also in excellent shape.
    Last edited by Geronimo36; 03-11-2010 at 06:11 PM.

7. Collapse Details

Around Thanksgiving time I started assembly on the short block, while we were waiting on valves for the heads. Prepped and installed new bearings, gapped/installed new rings and new 10778 oil pump. So the day after Thanksgiving I completeled assembled the short block.

8. Collapse Details

Next I had to wait a few weeks for the valves, they were on back-order... Once the valves came in, Rogers quickly surfaced the deck on the new heads, set the guilde clearnace, cut the seats/valves and assembled the heads. A week before XMass I installed the heads and installed the rocker arms. At this point assembly of the long-block was complete.

9. Collapse Details

Next I had to paint the engine....so I took the week off between XMass and New Years and took the time to paint the engine and a little R&R....

10. Collapse Details

During my week off I had an eppiffany and decided I should buy new rocker arms...so I orderd up some brandey new rocker arms and installed them and buttoned up the top end.

11. Collapse Details

Then the engine sat on the floor in my garage for over a month while I watched the snow build up....... Two weekends ago I finally got a break and fired up the engine for the first time... Now I'm waiting for a sunny day to install it in the boat.

12. Collapse Details

Engine sounds good, did you freshen up both of them? I use the Comp Roller rockers also, been using them for about 6 years.