Thread: Clear Lake

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by niceguy View Post
    Gerrit, I have tried to Join on the website, but couldnt get it to work. Oh and great news.... we will be out this Saturday. We are gonna launch Sat morning around 11am. Where are you guys gonna be? Your mechanic is from CLPBS? He knows my boat (if it's the guy I am thinking of), he used to work on this boat and I actually met him when I bought it.

Anyways, I'd love to meet everyone. Call me when you know the game plan, I am gonna PM you my number.

Ernie aka Niceguy

Ed has worked on most boats in the area. He is the best mechanic around. We are all kind of deciding where and when, but we should be around. We have our boats in Clear Lake Marine center, right by the channel going to Taylor Lake or at Endeavour. I will give you a call and pm my number. Here is the Topps page to join or the Topps president has his slip right next to us. He has a 42Sonic with a radar arch and wild paint.

http://toppsboatclub.com/forum/easy_pages.php?p=1

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gerritm View Post
    Ed has worked on most boats in the area. He is the best mechanic around. We are all kind of deciding where and when, but we should be around. We have our boats in Clear Lake Marine center, right by the channel going to Taylor Lake or at Endeavour. I will give you a call and pm my number. Here is the Topps page to join or the Topps president has his slip right next to us. He has a 42Sonic with a radar arch and wild paint.

http://toppsboatclub.com/forum/easy_pages.php?p=1
    Looks like I need a sponsor. Can you sponsor me? If so, I just need your full name for the app.

Ernie
    31 Sonic SS

3. Collapse Details

Looks like I need a sponsor. Can you sponsor me? If so, I just need your full name for the app.

Ernie
    So, fill in the details. What happened to the motor? Sunday was a bust, unbelievable storm around noon, but Monday was great.

4. Collapse Details

We had a great time. We hit the water on Saturday about 11:30 and went straight to Galveston. We ran outside and floated for a bit. Very nice. Sunday we stayed around Galveston until noon, waiting for the storm to pass in clear lake and headed up. We got the boat back on the trailer just in time for round 2 and about 3:30. We will be back.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MOV04003_0001.jpg  

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by TxHawk View Post
    We had a great time. We hit the water on Saturday about 11:30 and went straight to Galveston. We ran outside and floated for a bit. Very nice. Sunday we stayed around Galveston until noon, waiting for the storm to pass in clear lake and headed up. We got the boat back on the trailer just in time for round 2 and about 3:30. We will be back.

You were lucky. It looked like the end of the world here by Clear Lake. Several lightning strikes on the water. There were 4 footers and white caps in Clear Lake. How was the run out of the jetties from Galveston Bay to the gulf? Can be kind of rough at times, but makes for a nice run. Glad you had a good time. Did you hit any of the restaurants in Galveston? We ran down to Galveston Harbor Monday morning. Sorry we missed you guys.

6. Collapse Details

We ran out of the jetties at 50-55 very comfy, then out and down the beach a bit. We went to Boudreaux's and the Wharf. Weather didnt look good enough to run to Stingaree.

We could tell it was bad up there. We sat at the Wharf watching the radar and made a run for it. Got there just in time to load up and park under 146 for the second round.

We are thinking about a late summer/fall trip. Maybe we will have more time to plan.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gerritm View Post
    So, fill in the details. What happened to the motor? Sunday was a bust, unbelievable storm around noon, but Monday was great.
    Gerrit,
    Well we pulled the motors on Sunday and the starboard side completely locked up. We were cruising to Redfish island and got about 300 yards and I decided to slow down and see where to go and that motor lost oil pressure, so I shut it off. Opened the hatch and oil had blown out of the vc and onto the manifold. We added a 1/2 quart and fired it back up... turned around and got on plane and ran at 3k for about 1 min and it lost power and locked up.

When we pulled the intake manifold there was a ton of rust in the intake runners and the camshaft and lifters had rust on them (like they had been sitting for a while)... but this boat hasnt sat long since I owned it, we took it out right up until the storm last year and then I fired the motors off every month or so until early Feb and we started going out then. From the machine shop's POV, they think the motors sat for an extended period of time from the previous owner and one had gotten water in the motor.

Anyway, so the guys at the machine shop are giving me hell saying it was going to be a minimum of 6 weeks to get them back.... I said, OH HELL NO!! I cannot miss the summer season.... I will DIE.

But looks like I am gonna have enough to go 522ci with some AFR's, 10.5:1 comp and some pretty decent sized cams... looking to make about 625-640hp. I am also gonna change the Gil manifolds to something.... maybe lightnings (if they can make them clear side by side), if not I may just use my dry tails on those HM typhoon shorty headers.

I can say, it was a long ride of shame all the way back to Kemah and then through Clear Lake at 5 mph. But I'll be back and even faster than before... hoping for some mid-upper 80's.
    31 Sonic SS

8. Collapse Details

Gerrit,
    Well we pulled the motors on Sunday and the starboard side completely locked up. We were cruising to Redfish island and got about 300 yards and I decided to slow down and see where to go and that motor lost oil pressure, so I shut it off. Opened the hatch and oil had blown out of the vc and onto the manifold. We added a 1/2 quart and fired it back up... turned around and got on plane and ran at 3k for about 1 min and it lost power and locked up.

When we pulled the intake manifold there was a ton of rust in the intake runners and the camshaft and lifters had rust on them (like they had been sitting for a while)... but this boat hasnt sat long since I owned it, we took it out right up until the storm last year and then I fired the motors off every month or so until early Feb and we started going out then. From the machine shop's POV, they think the motors sat for an extended period of time from the previous owner and one had gotten water in the motor.

Anyway, so the guys at the machine shop are giving me hell saying it was going to be a minimum of 6 weeks to get them back.... I said, OH HELL NO!! I cannot miss the summer season.... I will DIE.

But looks like I am gonna have enough to go 522ci with some AFR's, 10.5:1 comp and some pretty decent sized cams... looking to make about 625-640hp. I am also gonna change the Gil manifolds to something.... maybe lightnings (if they can make them clear side by side), if not I may just use my dry tails on those HM typhoon shorty headers.

I can say, it was a long ride of shame all the way back to Kemah and then through Clear Lake at 5 mph. But I'll be back and even faster than before... hoping for some mid-upper 80's.
    Bummer, but it gives you a chance to make everything right and better. I broke a drive last summer just outside Galveston Harbor. Talk about a long ride of shame at 7.4 mph. There were pelicans swimming faster than us. To add insult to injury a couple of blowboaters went by us and gave us the thumbs up . Must of thought we were going green.

Are you running dry headers. If not make sure you pressurize your headers and check for leaks before you put them back on. Good luck on the rebuild.

9. Collapse Details

Yeah they are completely dry, so I am not too worried about that. But I will be changing the manifolds to the shorty headers.
    31 Sonic SS

10. Collapse Details

Are you guys still out here in the Clear Lake area?
    I too tried to register for TOPPS...but couldn't seem to complete the registration or be allowed to join.

I'm in League City and spend most of my time in Clear Lake and the bay. Occassionally hauled my boat up to Lake Livingston a few times a year as well. This was my 1989 22' Scarab which I just sold and I'm not talking with Jeff about his 27' Excalibur. Hopefully...I'll be back on the water SOON. Being land-locked SUCKS!!