1. Collapse Details
    Sealing exhaust tips
    Im putting in new larger exhaust tips, I plan on resin coating the new holes but still want to use a good sealer on the flanges. I dont plan on 5200 for obvious reasons, but Im not sure I want to use 4200 either.

I used 4200 back when I added my external hydraulic steering on the ram mounts and thru hull fittings both inside and outside the transom. I never trimmed the spots that oozed out from behind the mounting plates and today those spots are not in any way shape or form adhered to the transom both inside and out, they just flop. Im tempted to unbolt one of the cylinder mounts from the hull and see if the 4200 just falls off.

I use a really kick ass industrial RTV silcone from Kimball Midwest at work and the adhesion properties of this stuff has never failed to amaze me, Im thinking of using it instead of a "marine sealer" Any thoughts on this?

2. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor MOBILEMERCMAN's Avatar
    Tony. I prefer to seal it with epoxy. maybe two coats. Or as many as needed until it stops absorbing it.

I have had success with using an inner tube rubber type material to use as a sealing gasket under the beauty ring. Under cut the whole size and it will stretch around the tube and seal nicely.

3. Collapse Details

damn, Jim - you're answering questions that I haven't even asked yet.. Jeff
    People we meet in life are either a Blessing or a Lesson

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by old377guy View Post
    damn, Jim - you're answering questions that I haven't even asked yet.. Jeff
    He's that damn good!
    Taking Over the World One Thread at a Time
    The Penguin Cometh

5. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MOBILEMERCMAN View Post
    Tony. I prefer to seal it with epoxy. maybe two coats. Or as many as needed until it stops absorbing it.

I have had success with using an inner tube rubber type material to use as a sealing gasket under the beauty ring. Under cut the whole size and it will stretch around the tube and seal nicely.
    What thickness? And no sealer at all? Just the rubber?
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

6. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor MOBILEMERCMAN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    What thickness? And no sealer at all? Just the rubber?
    Yes, On pipes with beauty rings. Seal the hole to protect the wood. The rubber keeps water from splashing in and still allows service. It is nice to be able to remove tailpiece without having to cut all the sealant out.

If it is a tip I would seal and fill void with caulk after the epoxy to protect the wood. The sealant is just a cosmetic thing from the inside on tips.

7. Collapse Details

Awesome suggestion about the innertube Jim!!!

As far as general sealant, I like to use either LifeSeal or LifeCaulk. The life Caulk stay pliable and it can also be sanded/painted if need be. When ever I installed transducers or thru-hull fittings we always used the lifecaulk. It's made by Boatlife. http://www.boatlife.com/

http://boatlife.ipower.com/shop/inde...=index&cPath=6

http://boatlife.ipower.com/shop/inde...dex&cPath=2_12
    Last edited by Geronimo36; 04-29-2009 at 10:11 AM.

8. Collapse Details

Registered
    Silicone rubber sheets available at grainger can be used to make a gasket. stretches over the pipe and holds it form, like a rubber glove. doesn't harden or spilit. different colors even white make the install look good.

9. Collapse Details

Epoxy tends to crack. The worst transom-rot problem I've ever seen is on Cig 35's, where the one trim tab bolt is a lag screw into the end of the stringer. I've taken a bunch of them out. The one's that have never been removed are tough to remove because Cigarette gooped them up real well with silicone. You can tell immediately the one's that have been removed before. They slide right out- with the crumbles of wood that are the tell-tale signs of rot.