Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Any matte finished boats out there?
    I just got my new helmet in for spring dirtbiking and it has a full matte finish on it. It looks awesome and made me wonder about why Ive not seen any matt finish boats?

Its not NEAR as slick, you wouldnt have to wax it, etc. But I think it would stain a lot easier.

It would sure stand out a lot from the high gloss boats.. Anyone ever consider this or have one?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails photo(3).jpg  

2. Collapse Details

Eventually when I get around to it, I plan on painting my 16 express cat matte black.

3. Collapse Details

Look at Cigarette's 44 Poker Run boat that was in the show. Black Matte w/black gloss graphic. Pretty cool.

4. Collapse Details

always liked matte finish. rob dyrdeks denali is matte black. looks badass!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 6hee2s6.jpg  

5. Collapse Details

Funny- I was thinking about things like this today. Like what's next?

Mattee, real 3D stuff (bulging carbon fiber maybe?) or some thing along those lines.

6. Collapse Details

The cost of painting a boat with a matte finish should be virtually HALF of a regular paintjob, right? Being that you would only have to paint it with a two step process. Id love to have something done to mine similar to the helmet...

7. Collapse Details

The new DCB M35 has a flat black stripe on it, with silver gel. It's pretty mean looking, and I'll expect plenty of the West Coast guys to follow suit with some flat offerings as well.

I think though that it took a pretty new/expensive paint and process to get it to work right on the boat. I doubt it'll be a cheap option, but different and cool for sure.

8. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor glassdave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by waterboy222 View Post
    The cost of painting a boat with a matte finish should be virtually HALF of a regular paintjob, right? Being that you would only have to paint it with a two step process. Id love to have something done to mine similar to the helmet...
    not necessarily. The problem with matte is controling the amount of gloss over large areas. Its a bit tricky but not impossible. The other issue is when painting boats the conventional way if you get any dust or anything in the finish its no prob to sand and buff it out while matte finishes are "as sprayed" and cannot be corrected after the fact. Still it does sound like it could be cool if done right, used whithin a graphic or something.

My supplier does offer pre mixed matte finishes but i havnt had the occasion to use them yet. Most of my customers still like shiney stuff
    Last edited by glassdave; 03-01-2009 at 08:53 PM.
    Throttles- Cleveland Construction/Traffic Light Racing 377 Talon cat

9. Collapse Details

Here's a thread with some pics, although none really detail the flat black well.

http://www.performanceboats.com/html...ad.php?t=29014

I think later in the thread there's discussion on the type of paint used as well.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Perlmudder View Post
    always liked matte finish. rob dyrdeks denali is matte black. looks badass!
    I have been talking about doing my truck like that for awhile now. I like the look a lot!
    Brad Schoenwald
    "It's not what you do, it's how well you do it"
    www.PERFORMANCEBOATSCHOOL.com

11. Collapse Details

how does it hold up against scratching though.. Doesnt the clearcoat kinda makeup the protection layer for the paint? What about water absorption.. Seems like itd just be a sponge!

12. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by glassdave View Post
    not necessarily. The problem with matte is controling the amount of gloss over large areas. Its a bit tricky but not impossible. The other issue is when painting boats the conventional way if you get any dust or anything in the finish its no prob to sand and buff it out while matte finishes are "as sprayed" and cannot be corrected after the fact. Still it does sound like it could be cool if done right, used whithin a graphic or something.

My supplier does offer pre mixed matte finishes but i havnt had the occasion to use them yet. Most of my customers still like shiney stuff

Listen to Dave!

13. Collapse Details

I think that "pimp of the nation" had that technique down fairly well
    People we meet in life are either a Blessing or a Lesson

14. Collapse Details

Flat colors are notorious for having problems with scratching. You can rub your finger nail across flat paint and leave a nice shiny streak.

15. Collapse Details

Quit using Leverage and let your boat sit out uncovered. You can then see if you like a flat finish and it wont cost you a thing!

16. Collapse Details

How about touching up some dock rash with the flat paint?

17. Collapse Details

I have used flattening agents to do stripes on cars before. They are a pain to keep clean and don't get ANY wax on them while your waxing the rest of the car. They have flat clears out now that are supposed to be pretty good. I will let you know here soon. I just picked up some for the shelby stripes on the mustang.

18. Collapse Details

There was photo on the Jeep forum a few months back....they did a matte black full wrap on a new Wrangler. I just tried to find the pic, but could not.

19. Collapse Details

My Harley has the black denim paint on it. Its a new process that actually has denim material imbeded in the paint. There is a clear coat but you dont wax it. Its supposed to fade and get a worn look. I think it would look cool on a boat if done right.

20. Collapse Details

They have been doing it on "rat rods" for years