Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
  1. Collapse Details

SHARKEY-IMAGES
    Quote Originally Posted by clayinaustin View Post
    Here is the same pic at 1024x768
    The Board has come to the decision to not use a size greater than 800 wide.

Not everyone has the large screens and anything larger than the 800 is blowing out the side of the Forum.

2. Collapse Details

I do not know how you all do it but my pictures show up very small on the forum.

3. Collapse Details

SHARKEY-IMAGES
    Quote Originally Posted by Fever Mike View Post
    I do not know how you all do it but my pictures show up very small on the forum.
    Attachments are small, basically a determined size thumbnail you can click on for a larger file in a new window.

The large pics you see without a thumbnail are hosted on another server, then linked to this site with the image brackets.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Rexone View Post
    opps sorry you said check dpi. you can't do that by viewing properties. You can do it tho in most photo editing programs. I personally use Photoshop because I do a lot of photo work but there are cheaper programs and several free ones.

If you have MS Office 2003 it includes a program call Microsoft Picture Manager under Office Tools. You can do basic resizing in this and it will tell you the dpi (resolution) of the photo.

I believe you can do the same in Office 2000 with the earlier version which I believe is called MS photo editor... I don't have that on this particular machine so I will check it later and edit post if this is incorrect or if the earlier version won't show you the dpi.

I am poor and cannot afford the late Office so 2003 is as far as I go. I'm sure the late ones have similar capability. I am poor due to the aquisition of Photoshop CS3 extended and Lightroom 2, both of which I highly recommend for serious photo work.

Remember when resizing pics you can downsize and retain quality but you cannot upsize (much). In other words you can't grab a pic off the internet and resize it to 300 dpi and expect decent quality for printing large. Photo editing programs use a process called interpolation when resizing. Basically they guess what adjacent pixels should look like when upsizing in terms of color value of pixels. You will not get sharp pics upsizing in this manner (for print work). You have to start with the hi rez file.

all the picks on my computer say there 96x96 dots. How do I save a picture at 300dpi off the web?

or when I take a picture with my camera how do I save them at 300dpi?

Thanks
    Rob

5. Collapse Details

I save this as a jpeg and a tiff,the tiff redused the dpi 96 ,the jpeg save as 300dpi

big pick,forewarned
    http://www.riksdagen.se/upload/bilde...hus_300dpi.jpg

I guess the web picks I save are mostly 96dpi???

this saved as a 300x300dpi also
    http://www.hapag-lloyd.com/en/pr/med...ess_300dpi.jpg

I read if it starts out as a 96 it doesent like being change to a 300dpi?

these links/picks open on another page/site so it doesent use any sos band width or slows SOS down.

this bulding picture is small with a 400dpi ,I guess it doesent have to do with width

this one is 700dpi
    http://danielyager.com/uploads/fire3.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails zzz sRhondda_air_400dpi_91.jpg  

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388 View Post
    all the picks on my computer say there 96x96 dots. How do I save a picture at 300dpi off the web?

or when I take a picture with my camera how do I save them at 300dpi?

Thanks
    Rob
    Normally you will not find 300 dpi pics on the web because they are not necessary to view on screen. 300 dpi file size for an image at same screen size is very large. Normally the pictures you will commonly find on the web will be 72 dpi or 96 dpi. The more dpi the bigger the file size for the same size (dimensionally) picture.

Different cameras set at hi resolution save at various dpi. Mine for example saves at 240. 240 is acceptable for most print but I convert most to 300 and just downsize the dimensions accordingly to maintain the same file size. The late model Photoshop program does a good job with this. 240 would be fine for most print jobs though.

7. Collapse Details

I save this as a jpeg and a tiff,the tiff redused the dpi 96 ,the jpeg save as 300dpi
    Normally for print you would use the 300 dpi version as a tiff (a 300 dpi jpg is fine in most cases as well). The jpg file format just has less color info.

Normally you will find jpg images on the web. 96 or 72 dpi.

big pick,forewarned
    http://www.riksdagen.se/upload/bilde...hus_300dpi.jpg

I guess the web picks I save are mostly 96dpi???
    Yes, or 72 is very common also.

this saved as a 300x300dpi also
    http://www.hapag-lloyd.com/en/pr/med...ess_300dpi.jpg

I read if it starts out as a 96 it doesent like being change to a 300dpi?
    That is correct. The only case were you will obtain 300 dpi quality is to maintain file size. In other words if you took a very large 96 dpi pic and converted it to a very small size dimensionally at 300 dpi it would look decent. It is all about color information in the original file. You cannot take an 8" wide 96 dpi picture and convert it to and 8" wide 300 dpi picture for printing. Simply doesn't have enough color information in the file to do this successfully. It will come out very blurry or grainy. You can downsize but not upsize (much).

The large pics you linked to would be great for print. They look great online too but file size is huge for the internet at well over a meg. If you view a 96 dpi version on screen you probably will see little if any quality difference. The large file size makes for very slow loading of anyone viewing the pic. If they were imbedded in the forum page with bb code the entire page would load slowly even on dsl. For anyone with dial up, fogettabouit.

these links/picks open on another page/site so it doesent use any sos band width or slows SOS down.

this bulding picture is small with a 400dpi ,I guess it doesent have to do with width

this one is 700dpi
    http://danielyager.com/uploads/fire3.jpg
    The dpi or dots per inch does not determine width. It only determines the dots per inch or the color information contained in one inch. In printing everything is dots of ink per inch. If you look through a loop or magnifying glass at print work you will see the little dots. This is what dpi is. At less dpi the image gets grainer to the eye. The human eye cannot see 300 dpi as dots on paper. But as it becomes less dpi you can so in turn the picture looks grainy. At 72 dpi (printed) you can see the actual dots because they are far apart.

On a computer screen it's different. Everything is pixels. There are screen pixels and image pixels (dpi). The human eye can't differentiate anything much greater that 96 on screen as that is the screen pixels. Anything greater dpi and you can't tell much if any difference. Try saving a picture at 30 dpi and view it on screen and you will get the effect. It will be very grainy. View the same pic at 300 dpi on screen and you'll have trouble telling it from the 96 image in most cases. Screens vary.

Hope that explains more than confuses.

8. Collapse Details

SHARKEY-IMAGES
    Great info Rexone !

As a reminder to posters using hyper links to display their images, the
    S.O. Forum has asked to keep the images no wider than 800 pixels as it distorts the forum's borders for most users.

See link below:

http://www.seriousoffshore.com/forum...read.php?t=320

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by SHARKEY-IMAGES View Post
    Attachments are small, basically a determined size thumbnail you can click on for a larger file in a new window.

The large pics you see without a thumbnail are hosted on another server, then linked to this site with the image brackets.
    Ah thanks!!!!! Always wondered about that! Good to see you hear Tim and awesome pictures too!
    Mike
    2006 Fountain 38TE..CC..Outboards Baby!

10. Collapse Details

SHARKEY-IMAGES
    Quote Originally Posted by Fever Mike View Post
    Ah thanks!!!!! Always wondered about that! Good to see you hear Tim and awesome pictures too!
    Thanks ! Same here... Hope all is well for you !

11. Collapse Details

SHARKEY-IMAGES
    Another option is in the User CP.

You can create your own Gallery and hot link the img from there. But you need to make sure you image is 800 wide or less because I don not think there is an auto resizer in that...

12. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Rexone View Post
    Normally for print you would use the 300 dpi version as a tiff (a 300 dpi jpg is fine in most cases as well). The jpg file format just has less color info.

Normally you will find jpg images on the web. 96 or 72 dpi.

Yes, or 72 is very common also.

That is correct. The only case were you will obtain 300 dpi quality is to maintain file size. In other words if you took a very large 96 dpi pic and converted it to a very small size dimensionally at 300 dpi it would look decent. It is all about color information in the original file. You cannot take an 8" wide 96 dpi picture and convert it to and 8" wide 300 dpi picture for printing. Simply doesn't have enough color information in the file to do this successfully. It will come out very blurry or grainy. You can downsize but not upsize (much).

The large pics you linked to would be great for print. They look great online too but file size is huge for the internet at well over a meg. If you view a 96 dpi version on screen you probably will see little if any quality difference. The large file size makes for very slow loading of anyone viewing the pic. If they were embedded in the forum page with bb code the entire page would load slowly even on dsl. For anyone with dial up, fogettabouit.

The dpi or dots per inch does not determine width. It only determines the dots per inch or the color information contained in one inch. In printing everything is dots of ink per inch. If you look through a loop or magnifying glass at print work you will see the little dots. This is what dpi is. At less dpi the image gets grainer to the eye. The human eye cannot see 300 dpi as dots on paper. But as it becomes less dpi you can so in turn the picture looks grainy. At 72 dpi (printed) you can see the actual dots because they are far apart.

On a computer screen it's different. Everything is pixels. There are screen pixels and image pixels (dpi). The human eye can't differentiate anything much greater that 96 on screen as that is the screen pixels. Anything greater dpi and you can't tell much if any difference. Try saving a picture at 30 dpi and view it on screen and you will get the effect. It will be very grainy. View the same pic at 300 dpi on screen and you'll have trouble telling it from the 96 image in most cases. Screens vary.

Hope that explains more than confuses.
    Thanks for the good info, How can I take a 300dpi or higher picture with my camera,or download it with out loosing the info??

I remember something about a raw file?? I don't see that feature on this Camera.

Is it my camera or the settings in the computer that makes it a 96dpi or loosing the color info etc,its a Canon S5IS 8meg.http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/spec...canon_s5is.asp

Thanks
    Rob

13. Collapse Details

Thanks for the good info, How can I take a 300dpi or higher picture with my camera,or download it with out loosing the info??
    What I think you are asking here is how to save a 300dpi file for printing and preserve it even though you want to download it for viewing on the internet....

You will need a photo editing program and you will resize and then "save as" (preferably into a separate folder on your computer), a different name. For example if your original image out of the camera is named Joe, you could name the resized low res image, Joe-1.. or something to distinguish the hi rez (print quality) copy from the low rez 800 pix wide internet copy which you would then upload to your photo site.

I remember something about a raw file?? I don't see that feature on this Camera.
    Looking at your camera specs it does not mention the ability to shoot raw or tiff. They are 2 different things and I don't want to get too long winded here. Basically a Tiff is a file that contains much more color information than a Jpg file. Only necessary for high end printing. A hi rez (300dpi) jpg is just fine. A raw file is something different. It is a file that has not yet been converted into a traditional tiff or jpeg or photoshop format. It is basically raw information that can only be read by a handful of higher end photo editing programs. The advantage with raw is you can make a lot of corrections if you screw up that are much more difficult or impossible to make on a jpg file. I shoot mostly raw these days. The downside is you have to be proficient with photo editing and have a higher end program like Photoshop CS2 or later (or equiv) to open the raw file. Lower end programs won't open raw. For your purposes I would not worry about tiffs or raw especially considering you camera supports neither (this is not a bad thing btw).

Is it my camera or the settings in the computer that makes it a 96dpi or loosing the color info etc,its a Canon S5IS 8meg.http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/spec...canon_s5is.asp

Thanks
    Rob

Your camera is 8mpxl which is more than adequate to produce a 300 dpi photo of decent size. What dpi your camera shoots at in the ultra fine setting is not readily available in the specs. But it will be a large file and if you shoot in this mode you will want to obtain some cards with large capacities for file storage in the field. The downside to shooting large files is storage capacity and with some cameras it will slow the response time in continual shot mode. I don't know enough about your camera to comment further in that regard. Most decent photo editing programs will let you see the dpi the original file is in and then let you convert the dpi to something less and choose your dimensional size you want (like 800 px wide) and "save as" as described above.

If you'd like me to look at a file out of your camera shot in the highest mode just pm me and I will send you my email address to send it to. I can then tell you exactly what your file is and how you will need to handle it to both save in hi rez for printing and save a copy (low rez) for the internet.