Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
  1. Collapse Details

One more advantage to the dry pipes is that everyone hears you coming and they get out of your way...I've had a lot less lake lice cut in front of me.

2. Collapse Details

Charter Member
    Yeh Greg, post some pics and yes your boat is very load. I can state that now that I am a law abiding quiet boater. Doug

3. Collapse Details

There is no difference in power between equivalent wet and dry systems. If you pick up power, it's because you got better exhaust, not because water is no longer mixing. Dry pipes are dry purely to combat water from being drawn back into the engine due to big cam overlap- reversion.

Eickerts will make the same power as CMI's, but they don't look as cool. Manifolds will corrode and headers will vibration crack. But I've seen way more cracked headers than rotten manifolds, especially if you maintain your boat properly and fresh-water flush. And tube headers cost more.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by doug View Post
    Yeh Greg, post some pics and yes your boat is very load. I can state that now that I am a law abiding quiet boater. Doug
    Yeah Doug, yours is real quiet!

5. Collapse Details

I like the way my CMI's are set up. They are dry through the transom with a switchable muffler on the end. The water mixes in the muffler. With the mufflers open, they sound like dry exhaust. When they are closed, they sound like your average wet exhaust with switchable mufflers. I would not like it without the mufflers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AT2.jpg  

6. Collapse Details

Dry pipes are just plain rude and will cause all the problems listed above. A 420 HP engine does not need them at all. A nice set of CMI headers will gain some power. I have rather large power with wet exhaust and downturns to keep the exhaust underwater at idle. I am well below the legal limit at idle. If we as boaters continue to thumb our nose at the noise issues our fun will end with enforcement. Every state has noise laws some are not enforced very well...yet. Boat nice.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2006_0306downturn0011.jpg  

7. Collapse Details

I want good sound, I do NOT want to be kicked off the lake! lol..

How MUCH louder will a set of manifolds (wet) be as compared to the stock exhaust? I have the corsa quick/quiet system which will be pulled off..

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Bradz View Post
    Dry pipes are just plain rude and will cause all the problems listed above. A 420 HP engine does not need them at all. A nice set of CMI headers will gain some power. I have rather large power with wet exhaust and downturns to keep the exhaust underwater at idle. I am well below the legal limit at idle. If we as boaters continue to thumb our nose at the noise issues our fun will end with enforcement. Every state has noise laws some are not enforced very well...yet. Boat nice.
    Amen

9. Collapse Details

They aren't any louder if you are rafted up at Dripping Springs!

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Bradz View Post
    Bingo..

My vote is for Stainless Marines. Reasonably quiet, good performance, and a weight savings of roughly 80 lbs over the stock cast exhaust.. Your not turning big HP numbers, you do not need header style exhaust, nor the associated headaches..

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Madpoodle View Post
    Bingo..

My vote is for Stainless Marines. Reasonably quiet, good performance, and a weight savings of roughly 80 lbs over the stock cast exhaust.. Your not turning big HP numbers, you do not need header style exhaust, nor the associated headaches..
    True S/M best choice they back their stuff up also!

12. Collapse Details

E Dock
    Quote Originally Posted by waterboy222 View Post
    luckily we dont have noise ordinance on our lake
    Yes we do. From 9:00 PM to 9:00 AM anywhere on the lake and anytime within 50 feet of a public or private dock. The sound level is 90 decibels per the SAE J2005 standard. See Subchapter 7 of the rules (300:35-7-6) on the GRDA website. We are just lucky they do not enforce it. There is also the water muffling rule (300:35-7-5). This is why I put the mufflers back on my boat since I run it mostly at night.

13. Collapse Details

I was always under the impression that headers would lead to better power gains over stock than the high performance manifolds. It seems some people don't necessarily think so...... So which is it? Do high perf. manifolds like the S/M perform as well as something like CMI headers? I've been considering an upgrade on my 502 currently running just under 500 hp.

14. Collapse Details

Stainless Marine exhaust = Clint Eastwood. Everybody's headers = Curt Kobain

15. Collapse Details

Dry exhaust... (with a little water at the tip to keep the flapper happy).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSzU4...e=channel_page

We pulled into Shoreline Village with the boat and someone asked us how fast it was from the dock. We told them 112mph but we probably had a couple more miles an hour with a prop change... guy gave us a big grin and a thumbs up. Gotta love a 75mph boat that sounds like she runs a hundred!

It has Gibsons on it now and it's pretty tolerable.

"Tear gas and draft beer don't mix."

16. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by E Dock DD View Post
    Yes we do. From 9:00 PM to 9:00 AM anywhere on the lake and anytime within 50 feet of a public or private dock. The sound level is 90 decibels per the SAE J2005 standard. See Subchapter 7 of the rules (300:35-7-6) on the GRDA website. We are just lucky they do not enforce it. There is also the water muffling rule (300:35-7-5). This is why I put the mufflers back on my boat since I run it mostly at night.
    Last I heard was that no one on GRD knows how to use the decibal meter correctly is one of the big reasons they don't enforce it much.

17. Collapse Details

E Dock
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea-Dated View Post
    Last I heard was that no one on GRD knows how to use the decibal meter correctly is one of the big reasons they don't enforce it much.

Yep, and as long as we don't have certain boats doing hot laps in Duck Creek at 2:00 AM maybe the GRDA will leave the meters in their cases.

18. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by E Dock DD View Post
    Yep, and as long as we don't have certain boats doing hot laps in Duck Creek at 2:00 AM maybe the GRDA will leave the meters in their cases.

I thought he was running in the AH no wake zone that night. About knocked me out of bed but it did sound damn good......

19. Collapse Details

What about Dana? Some seem to swear by them.

20. Collapse Details

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by VetteLT193 View Post
    The other issue with running dry pipes is the pipes have to line up perfect with the hull, which usually requires high dollar custom welding. With wet you'll have a rubber coupler that gives you some wiggle room.
    I thought it was very expensive, not to mention the high dollar template for the welding. At shop rates, the mockup cost as much as the pipes. But they are cool and where else can you still run an open exhaust and go as fast as you want?