Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    New Truck, need tires
    Hey gang.. Just picked up my new to me truck. 2003 Dodge Ram 3500 Diesel with the HO 5.9. Only big problem is it has factory size tires which will need replaced soon. I know I can step up to 35 inchers. Two questions.

Can I run these tires without getting the 2inch leveling kit?

Can anybody get me a good deal on tires in this range that will not be overly obnoxious to run on the street? Most of my driving will be on road so I dont need mudders. Ive run BF Goodrich ATs and Cooper Daytona's on my Dakota and have been happy with both.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 8818026199_252750348_IM1_MAIN_565x421_A_562x421.jpg   8818026202_252750348_IM1_02_565x421_A_562x421.jpg   8818026204_252750348_IM1_03_565x421_A_562x421.jpg  

2. Collapse Details

I guess I should add in that it currently has the 260 series R17 tires. So I need to stay with a 17 inch rim. Any thoughts on Dick Cepeck, BF Goodrich or Nitto's??

3. Collapse Details

I have Cooper STT's and love them.

They are as quiet as a "mud terrain" could be, and should get 40K+ miles if rotated (according to my research), look great, are E load rated, and best of all are MADE IN THE USA.

4. Collapse Details

hi..
    picking tires is kind of like picking props, the right tool for the right job...
    i've run dunlop rovers on all my chevy's with excellent results, good ride/mileage/wear/price
    just got a set of what i'd call hi-way tread generals for my new F250, must say i am very impressed for the price...but i've only 7000 miles on them.
    being "mostly on road" like me, be sure to pick a tread that pushes debris out from the center of the tire and definitely choose the right load range....if you do go off road, just drop the tire pressure a few pounds for a better bite!
    c

5. Collapse Details

I've been able to stretch A/T's out to about 70K miles, when it comes to truck tires I usually stick with BFG's. Put some 35 M/T's on my play truck, but I've only put about 3K miles on those and they are beasts in the mud and really not too bad on the road either. Actually those are 17's too.

6. Collapse Details

I think Buck does this kind of work- may be worth the trip to see him!

7. Collapse Details

I do believe Buck is in the truck biz too. As stated before, most of my offroad stuff is simple dirt trails and roads. Nothing severe. If I want to do that, i'll get a old jeep and trick it out. Ive run the BFG AT's before and liked them. Most of the tires Im looking at online all have 3000lbs load ratings or higher. My big thing is the different use of 35x12.5x17 vs 280/70R17. How can you tell the measured size when they use the LT rating in the second example? Which one would be equivalent to 34 or 35 inch tires?

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by RollWithIt View Post
    Hey gang.. Just picked up my new to me truck. 2003 Dodge Ram 3500 Diesel with the HO 5.9. Only big problem is it has factory size tires which will need replaced soon. I know I can step up to 35 inchers. Two questions.

Can anybody get me a good deal on tires in this range that will not be overly obnoxious to run on the street? Most of my driving will be on road so I dont need mudders. Ive run BF Goodrich ATs and Cooper Daytona's on my Dakota and have been happy with both.
    I think you will need the leveling kit for 35s.

9. Collapse Details
    35's
    Call Mark @ Lightning Motorsports 727-863-5099, He's the man when it comes to what works and how. Tell him Don from Factory Engine Exchange told you to call. I buy all my tires and wheels from him.

10. Collapse Details

How can you tell the measured size when they use the LT rating in the second example? Which one would be equivalent to 34 or 35 inch tires?
    Usually listed on the manufacturers websites.

For example: http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/specs...t-a-ko/44.html

I just noticed they came out with a new tread design for the M/T too, interesting.

11. Collapse Details

Contact Mitchell aka "Mama Tryed" on OSO. He can get any tire drop shipped to your door at great prices. I've got his number if you can't get ahold of him.
    Brian Tillett; Active Thunder Factory Representative
    wwwActiveThunderBoats.com
    brian(a)activethunderboats.com

12. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Sydwayz View Post
    Contact Mitchell aka "Mama Tryed" on OSO. He can get any tire drop shipped to your door at great prices. I've got his number if you can't get ahold of him.
    Thanks Brian, 35's might be tough without the 2inch lift, give me a call and I'll try and answer any questions, size, width, etc,, 800-231-2295 ext#129

Mitch
    Mama still tries!!

13. Collapse Details

Thanks for the responses guys. I'll give you a call. The big thing is if i wanna spend the extra coin now and get the kit or just run a smaller tire till i get that.

14. Collapse Details

MICHELINS! I've had two sets on my Excursion 7.3. They are 285/75 r16 LTX M/S. D rated. The first set I was able to get 85000 miles out of, and the current set on my truck, I'm on 85000, and probably will get 95 to 100K out of them. They might be a little more money, but well worth it.

15. Collapse Details

My big thing is the different use of 35x12.5x17 vs 280/70R17. How can you tell the measured size when they use the LT rating in the second example? Which one would be equivalent to 34 or 35 inch tires?
    Go here for a calculator to convert from metric to inches. Better to go to the tire manufacturers website and get the actual size though.

16. Collapse Details

I'm about to replace a set of BFG AT's on my Superduty. I'm sticking with em, great tires. FYI, they are on the same carcass as the Michelins, just different tread. I run construction sites daily, have had one nail penetrate one of em, drove it for a week before I went in to get it fixed. 60K miles on them, could go further, but for some strange reason the rears are getting thin..

17. Collapse Details

I just bought new Cooper Zeon LTZ's, what a Kickazz tire, it's a hybrid between a street and off road tire, check them out, I couldn't be happier.

18. Collapse Details

jmeng.. thanks.. I like that link. It at least gives a close proximation of the size

19. Collapse Details

registered
    For what it's worth, my BFGoodrich Rugged Trail T/A's have 65,000 miles on them. They've been great tires, perfect balance through their whole life, no problems. I'll get another 5,000 out of them easily. They're a great highway tire and are aggressive enough for some occasional mild off-roading. They're E-rated 10-plys.

20. Collapse Details

I do believe Buck is in the truck biz too. As stated before, most of my offroad stuff is simple dirt trails and roads. Nothing severe. If I want to do that, i'll get a old jeep and trick it out. Ive run the BFG AT's before and liked them. Most of the tires Im looking at online all have 3000lbs load ratings or higher. My big thing is the different use of 35x12.5x17 vs 280/70R17. How can you tell the measured size when they use the LT rating in the second example? Which one would be equivalent to 34 or 35 inch tires?
    That measurement gives the width in mm/sidewall as percent of width/tire size.

So, take width/25.4 (mm/in), than times the percent (70%) here, times 2 (one for each sidewall), and add to the 17.

((280/25.4)*.7)*2+17=32.4 in high

So... a 35 would be considerably larger.