Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by KiloKat View Post
    Not on a marine application but I installed a Paxton on my SRT10 truck back in 2004. Runs great and I've never had a problem ....
    wasn't that in addition to a couple "bottles"?

2. Collapse Details

Sponsor / Charter Member ILMORdude's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jassman View Post
    Supercharge the 725..and Im a player...Ill hook it up to some ASD-8's
    What kind of numbers would you want to see to be interested?
    ILMOR High Performance Marine
    570-725 hp V-10 Indy Packages now available....even Racers Packages now!! PM me for details!! Ilmor.com

3. Collapse Details

Registered
    go with the rotary valve first so wow em

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by ILMORdude View Post
    Why not use Indy drives? They're rated to 1,000 hp, right?

5. Collapse Details

depends on what HP..It should come in somewhere between Mercs 850 and 1075 and should be priced somewhere in between x 95%...

I like the Indi drive just not proven yet.. I know the ASD8's can handle a little more power than the #6 and is lighter. Just my take on it.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by JupiterSunsation View Post
    One of the benefits of the Ilmor 725 over the Merc 700 is the fuel burn. The Ilmor burns like 30 gallons less fuel at WOT due to lack of a supercharger. Now I realize that in the HP races the fuel burn isn't even a concern but in real world use/poker runs it can make the difference between needing to stop for fuel or not. The Ilmor is lighter too!

If forced induction was to be.............Turbo's would still give you the fuel savings over a blower engine of the same H.P.

Mercury noted the fuel savings with there turbo engine also when paired against the the same H.P. Rating.

Be a good move for ILMOR,...........and they have resources like no other when it comes to Engineering.

Thanks
    Jon

7. Collapse Details

sorry i am new to this boat thing but learning fast my question comes from someone said that these motors have not been supercharged in marine app. is the blocks different as per say from viper motors ( hennesy makes big power in these blocks ) my thought were always that these blocks or any other were the same as automotive other than the external water pipeing

8. Collapse Details

also the turbo route would lower exhaust sound output let alone not have the parasitic drag on the crank

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by truckwrench1 View Post
    sorry i am new to this boat thing but learning fast my question comes from someone said that these motors have not been supercharged in marine app. is the blocks different as per say from viper motors ( hennesy makes big power in these blocks ) my thought were always that these blocks or any other were the same as automotive other than the external water pipeing
    The Block, heads, and intake are the same as the car. Its everything else inside and out, that we spec for our V10's. The Henn's do make big power and the duty cycle for their use in auto's is vastly different than what we're up against in the marine world. Could we make huge power? Absolutely, but it must last more than a few hrs.
    570-725 hp V-10 Indy Packages now available....even Racers Packages now!! PM me for details!! Ilmor.com

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by cougarman View Post
    If forced induction was to be.............Turbo's would still give you the fuel savings over a blower engine of the same H.P.

Mercury noted the fuel savings with there turbo engine also when paired against the the same H.P. Rating.

Be a good move for ILMOR,...........and they have resources like no other when it comes to Engineering.

Thanks
    Jon

+1 this would be a great set up...next need to then work out the drive situation...something that can handle 1200hp/tq . Watch Ilmor over the next 5 years...

11. Collapse Details

The Block, heads, and intake are the same as the car. Its everything else inside and out, that we spec for our V10's. The Henn's do make big power and the duty cycle for their use in auto's is vastly different than what we're up against in the marine world. Could we make huge power? Absolutely, but it must last more than a few hrs.
    thanks for the reply like i said still learning abit and 1 more question what rpm is the duty cycle that you are talking about

12. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by truckwrench1 View Post
    thanks for the reply like i said still learning abit and 1 more question what rpm is the duty cycle that you are talking about
    Not to speak for Ilmordude or Ilmor but marine apps see sustained rpm and loads greatly exceeding auto apps and must still be warranty-able.

A boat never coasts at a part throttle opening like a car or even a truck in downhill conditions- its always under a load - pretty much like towing up hill 100% of the time. This sustained carrying of the load while simultaneously spinning comparatively waaay faster than an automotive counterpart creates an environment that chews up bearings, valves, and reciprocating parts like a puppy does the sunday morning paper.

Controlling oil, heat, thermal expansion, under loads like this over hundreds of hours of operation- is tricky.

Not sure bout the newer gen4's , but my gen3 710 redlines at 6300rpm. This is an 8.3L engine.

I cant imagine a scenario where an auto app would sustain 4-6K RPM for more than a few minutes and can really only do so at racetracks or place like the nurburgring whereby a boat engine routinely does this for hours on end every time you go for a weekend cruise.

Net net ilmor marine powerplants have a reputation for lasting for many hundreds of hours- some claim 600+ now with only fluid changes at this sustained output level.

The trick isnt to pick up another 1-2-3 hundred ponies or even more- they can do that. It's to do it without changes the maintenance schedule or impact the longevity of the mill.

Check out the maintenance intervals of the various mills making more than 700 ponies. You get into absolutely ridiculous money dumps at 25-50 and 100 hour intervals. Were talking about 30-50K + for a REBUILD at very low hours. Check it out- its really pretty amazing.

Despite all the mouth music from many guys on these sites, very very few can really afford to buy , and even fewer really maintain these packages at the recommended intervals - boats with these packages are a lot like airplanes in that you can watch the value of the whole cycle in direct relation to its approach toward overhaul time.

Uncle Dave
    Last edited by Uncle Dave; 02-21-2010 at 02:44 PM. Reason: F@#$%^& spelling errors.....

13. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Dave View Post
    Not to speak for Ilmordude or Ilmor but marine apps see sustained rpm and loads greatly exceeding auto apps and must still be warranty-able.

A boat never coasts at a part throttle opening like a car or even a truck in downhill conditions- its always under a load - pretty much like towing up hill 100% of the time. This sustained carrying of the load while simultaneously spinning comparatively waaay faster than an automotive counterpart creates an environment that chews up bearings, valves, and reciprocating parts like a puppy does the sunday morning paper.

Controlling oil, heat, thermal expansion, under loads like this over hundreds of hours of operation- is tricky.

Not sure bout the newer gen4's , but my gen3 710 redlines at 6300rpm. This is an 8.3L engine.

I cant imagine a scenario where an auto app would sustain 4-6K RPM for more than a few minutes and can really only do so at racetracks or place like the nurburgring whereby a boat engine routinely does this for hours on end every time you go for a weekend cruise.

Net net ilmor marine powerplants have a reputation for lasting for many hundreds of hours- some claim 600+ now with only only fluid changes at this sustained output level.

The trick isnt to pick up another 1-2-3 hundred ponies or even more- they can do that. It's to do it without changes the maintenance schedule or impact the longevity of the mill.

Check out the maintenance intervals of the various mills making more than 700 ponies. You get into absolutely ridiculous money dumps at 25-50 and 100 hour intervals. Were talking about 30-50K + for a REBUILD at very low hours. Check it out- its really pretty amazing.

Despite all the mouth music from many guys on these sites, very very few can really afford to buy , and even fewer really maintain these packages at the recommended intervals - boats with these packages are a lot like airplanes in that you can watch the value of the whole cycle in direct relation to its approach toward overhaul time.

Uncle Dave

14. Collapse Details

My 710's spin 6500 before the rev limiter kicks in!

15. Collapse Details

Why not Turbos?
    Slippery when wet. PODLESS TUNNEL www.cheetahcat.com ,Repairs, Modifications and Truing Cheap reliable speed.

16. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 1 View Post
    Why not Turbos?
    That'd be sweet huh? My preference as well. Although the new blowers are pretty damm good.

Less parasitic loss, higher adiabatic efficiency, no phuken belt dust all over everything no need for mufflers.....

Seems now since merc just did it now all of the sudden people think its cool.
    Where before almost none of the guys here were on board before.

Ilmor has core competency in turbocharging and could do it in a heartbeat. - but at what price I wonder? when I say price I mean acquisition, and MTBO.

I guess well all have to wait......

UD

17. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by stainless View Post

My 710's spin 6500 before the rev limiter kicks in!

What size wheels you turning?
    Ive never spun mine that high.

To perlmudders original question - Boostpower has done it.

Alexi at Boostpower has 2 stages of Ilmor upgrades.
    An internal rework thatll get you 800HP.
    a supercharged upgrade that'll get you 900+ HP

UD

18. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Dave View Post
    That's be sweet huh? My preference as well. Although the new blowers are pretty damm good.

Less parasitic loss, higher adiabatic efficiency, no phuken belt dust all over everything no need for mufflers.....

Seems now since merc just did it now all of the sudden people think its cool.
    Where before almost none of the guys here were on board before.

Ilmor has core competency in turbocharging and could do it in a heartbeat. - but at what price I wonder? when I say price I mean acquisition, and MTBO.

I guess well all have to wait......

UD
    There were some early raceboats with turbos but the setup was never right and the old GM heads were less than desirable for this.
    Slippery when wet. PODLESS TUNNEL www.cheetahcat.com ,Repairs, Modifications and Truing Cheap reliable speed.

19. Collapse Details

What size wheels you turning?
    Ive never spun mine that high.

16.25x 35 merc cnc's , I need some bigger props!

20. Collapse Details

thanks uncle dave for the reply and i totally agree w/ the maint. aspect and was not trying to offend anyone just a little more curious at this time.