Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Bamm

Either way and really- times are tough. In DC they didn't even have a show this year- not sure if it is because nobody is buying or if it is because since nobody is buying that the dealers didn't want to put all the effort in to a show that doesn't produce results.

I don't have much of an inside scoop on the boating business but know even a small show like DC's cost a lot of $$$ to display at with little hope of breaking even.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Dollabill View Post
    225K for a 32' boat with black motors???!!! Is it me or am I nuts that this seems insane when you are talking very late model 38 and in some cases 39 TSTG's with 525/575/600 power. Or how about the '07 42 Fountain discussed a few threads ago with 850's.

A friend fo mine just sold his '07 35 Fountain Lightning with 525's and a MYCO trailer WITH 9 HOURS for 150K.
    Bill or any one else, how many "Blue Motor" certified mechanics would there be in Venezuala?

I'm guessing South America isn't like SoFla, you can't just pick up the phone and have your boat looked at that afternoon...

3. Collapse Details

Worldwide - Blue Martini Hall of Fame - Your sisters house
    I wasn't talking about the availability of service in So America. Would the price be diff if a guy from GLOC bought it? I don't think so.

4. Collapse Details

So does anyone have any real life sales figures? By this time in years past Fountian was bragging about how much they did in sales, maybe not so good this year?

5. Collapse Details

I hear you Jup. I've been in the biz for 13 years. Been on my own boat since I was 9. I'm familar with the market.

New or "used" with a cpl hours has no impact on price, as many would agree here. I wasn't trying to cause any harm to Sunsation or any other mfg by posting that. But, like everyone else, I have an opinion. An educated one at that if I may.

I'm getting a little tired of everyone pulling the "oh don't hurt the industry we love" card lately whenever subjects like this come up regarding pricing. It is what it is. It's not opinion. They are black and white numbers.

Again, because I have so many people in the business I call close friends I'm not going to mention another word about todays market or prices. I just feel we are ignoring the 800lb gorilla in the corner and just because I bring it up doesn't mean I want the industry hurt.

I hope everyone had a great show.
    No doubt pricing has gotten out of hand the last several years. Look at what $100K, which is by no means chump change, will buy you in today's market new.

6. Collapse Details

Hot Springs National Park, AR/ Shreveport - Bossier City, LA
    Not the Cig's girls..... but here are some FPC TnA for ya. Had to take it with my phone.. didn't have a camera. Lots of it!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fpc thong.bmp   BTB FPC.bmp   FPC.bmp  

7. Collapse Details

I wasn't talking about the availability of service in So America. Would the price be diff if a guy from GLOC bought it? I don't think so.
    I wasn't thinking price difference, I was thinking his possible reasoning for paying retail for new 496's when slightly used higher performance options were available at the same price or cheaper.

8. Collapse Details

Worldwide - Blue Martini Hall of Fame - Your sisters house
    Quote Originally Posted by bluellama View Post
    I wasn't thinking price difference, I was thinking his possible reasoning for paying retail for new 496's when slightly used higher performance options were available at the same price or cheaper.
    gotcha. valid point.

9. Collapse Details

I'm not going to name names, but I can tell you after 4 days working at the show, the amount of crappy paint on name brand boats was stupifying...

And was noticed by a LOT of folks...

10. Collapse Details

There was a story in the Washington Daily News about the Miami boat show and Fountain. Reggie says they got orders for two 48 ft cruisers and sold mostly fishing boats and a few sport boats. He is quoted as saying his company probably beat 95% of exhibitors , and he is gratified with the out come. He says the orders will keep the plant busy for the next month or so, and hopes that business will pick up in the spring to keep things rolling.
    Taking Over the World One Thread at a Time
    The Penguin Cometh

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me View Post
    No doubt pricing has gotten out of hand the last several years. Look at what $100K, which is by no means chump change, will buy you in today's market new.
    Agreed! And as boaters we all know the boat payment (for those of us with them) is the cheapest part of boating!

12. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Wrinkleface View Post
    Vacation Bubba!!!!
    You definitely had that look when we spoke!!!
    Mahopac Marina
    Outerlimits/Sunsation & Stingray Dealer
    www.mahopacmarina.com 845-628-6550 sales@mahopacmarina.com

13. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Mitcher T View Post

One of my friends had a cute quote the other day. "How do you make a few friends in Offshore?.....start with a whole bunch of 'em."

Kinda says it all.
    Now you are going to have to pay me royalties on that my friend

There are so few good guys left in the industry and Mitch is right we need to support those that are still in the trenches every day

I have worked in and out of the boating industry for years, both on a part time basis, and on a full time basis. Things are nothing like they used to be

Those that are still in it are fighting for there lives, and I hope they can all weather the storm

Those that have been it it for years will still be here years from now. Those that think they can make a splash and run, usualy have the running part down pat

My hat goes off to Mitcher T, Sunsation,Cigarette,Nor Tech,Skater,MTI,Eliminator,OL,Ilmore,Mercury, Banana boats, and the many many other companies that are struggling but continuing to forge ahead

There are many companies on the perifial trying to stay in the game and it is just as tough for them. People like Throttle Up, Teague, Leverage, Bam, Chief just to name a small few

My hat goes out to all that continue the fight to stay in the boat industry
    God bless and Good Luck

14. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitcher T View Post
    Thanks for your support, guys. I'm just kinda worked up, right now. I'm better now!
    Everything well said Mitch. Glad you had a good show.
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

15. Collapse Details

Boat me.
    Well said and good coments., However, I think the "boating" industry will be ok.
    I think the performace / go fast boats are becoming less popular, and diminishing in demand.
    I been going to the Miami and Lauderdale show for decades and see the trend going away from "go fast" boats. Less and less displays every year.
    More sport cruisers and lately more of them with a bunch of outboards.
    THe "boating" baby boomers are going away from go fasts. There are still some die hards, but many changing their boating style. I'm a late bloomer. Had the go fast thing in the 90's raced in the 80's, but took a long brake due to a nasty divorce and financial reasons. Just got back in again in the last 2-3 years.
    I'm not ready to go "cruising' yet, but the day will come, as it came or coming to many already. One way or another, I will be on the water, in a tub of some sort no matter what.
    Life is: what happens... when you plan something else.

16. Collapse Details

Founding Member/Contributor Sean Stinson's Avatar
    To answer the original question when I asked my friends in finance (the ones who loan the dollars to buy) they said it was terrible. I think you will see a whole lot of restructuring going on over the next few months in the marine industry!!!! My hats off to all who continue to work the trenches....They are warriors!!!!!!

17. Collapse Details
    DennyB-Concept Sales Rep
    Red face
    Quote Originally Posted by JupiterSunsation View Post
    1. Why don't you level the playing field and be sure to tell the board you were fired by Sunsation so you might have a chip on your shoulder about their product.
    2. While working the booth at Concept did you mention to any potential buyers that if their boat gets damaged while having warranty work at Concept not only can they expect extended litigation to recover for their losses but public beration by management/owners.
    3. Remind the buyers of the strong dealer network that reorganizes monthly dumping lots of new/ no longer a dealer come and steal it inventory on the open market.

I'm familiar with this guys sales tactics. He really needs to get into another field, so performance builders can move forward.

18. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me View Post
    I'm fairly new into my boat owning me Oh, I mean owning my boat But I can't agree moree with the statement above. The boat prices increasing at the rate they are is only going to harm the industry. You go out and spend $250,00-$300,000 on a boat let's say for simple math. By the time that is my price range that boat will be on it's sixth owner and beat to $h!t. Now your thinking how does this affect me? Well as the prices increase the amount of new boat buyers will decrease due to the high prices, so they look into used well used is great but how will it help the boat builder? Not everyone sells thier boat and buys a new one to replace it. But the real question is how do you slow down the increasing cost? Will this turn out like homes? God I hope not because I love this sport been in it for one year not anything compared to you guy's but I love it every moment.

19. Collapse Details

The price of new boats with stock or near stock motors is insane.

20. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tommymonza View Post
    The price of new boats with stock or near stock motors is insane.

I'm pretty much a "number" guy, Contractor, engineer of sort.
    Give me the size of the boat, motors, eq. rigging and I can tell you pretty accurately how much the materials and labor hours it takes to make it. Now add Overhead, Advertisement, sponsorships etc. and the variables become outrageous. Profit on these boats are nuts. But.. as long as there "was" a demand for it.. so be it.
    Here is the problem. Resin, kevlar, FG matts. gauges, motors, drives, stereo etc. etc. can be figured out, (I did several times) Labor to oput it all together, building rent or cost of ownership etc. you get a price of the boat Profit ?/ a large %. These guys drive Lambos, private jets. etc.. and that's ok, but now sales are down. A boat builder can sell the boat for about 33% les as 2 years ago and stil make a profit. BUT.. How does one (builder) justify selling a boat for 300K in 2006 and now dropping the price to 200K and be happy with the sale. They can't.. everyone who bought a boat in 2006 would be at their doors demanding $'s back. In short,, you look at a 39' boat with 700's and Bravos for over 400K, and do the math,, you can't come up with that price tag. The rails are not made of 14K gold. So... sales are down, and OH must be cut, due to les volume. It's hard for the builders to say.. OK... I'll get you the same boat that I sold 2-3 years ago for a 33%+ discount. It's catch 22. Very similar to the housing market.
    Life is: what happens... when you plan something else.