Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Thoughts on trailer for me..
    I'd like to hear what you guys think. As some of you have seen my current trailer up close! Buying a new trailer is not an option this year! So, i need to work with what I have. I have access to the trailer that was under my old excalibur 40.

This trailer is a old "Target" brand. Which from what I understand, was the "myco" of the 80's. Obviously, trailer needs a full makeover. Sandblast, paint, brakes, bearings, wiring etc. However, the trailer is solid as a rock, pulls straight as an arrow. I especially like the heavy duty rear 6X4 bunk setup. Although I would add some "guide" bunks to keep it straight while pulling out at the ramp. But as finished product, I think it would be a very solid trailer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1170005.JPG   P1170002.JPG   IMG_0470.jpg  

2. Collapse Details

My current trailer is basically a off brand. My main gripe with this trailer, is its structure. In my opinion, the crossmembers are just too small for a 14k lb boat, along with the bunks. Basically, the only thing it has going for it are the wheels/tires, and functional brakes right now. I think the axles are slightly out of alignment, as it dog tracks a little.

So this trailer would basically need a complete sandblast, repaint, axles aligned, and all new bunks and brackets. The adjustable u-bolt brackets also suck, very chinsy. Does have the drive guard though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00010.jpg   IMG_0641.jpg   IMG_0639.jpg  

3. Collapse Details
    Loadmaster ?
    I thought the same as you when I did mine! CHECK THEM OUT ! ph#419 732 3434, E MAIL loadmaster@cros.net might be able to help ither way , mine new was $4200 in 07 / 2354 E harbor rd PORT CLITON OH 43452 / THEY MAY do a reman / or help on fix up / or new .

4. Collapse Details

I did get some prices on new trailers a few months back. I checked with loadmaster, eagle, myco, and manning I believe. Lowest price I got for a steel TRI axle was around 10,800+tax.

Thats why I am thinking of just overhauling what I got. I got a buddy who paints, who also accepts payment in the form of coors lights and my help! The wiring, brakes, bearings and stuff I can do. I think even if I replaced all the drums, brakes, bearings, springs, and tires, I can probably have a totally rebuilt trailer for around 2500 in parts? Both trailers have the heavy duty 8 lug axles. The only difference is the Target trailer has those drop type axles, where as the current trailer has the straight tube axles?

5. Collapse Details

That 8k you have saved by rebuilding would look good in the gas tank this summer!

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Medicine View Post
    That 8k you have saved by rebuilding would look good in the gas tank this summer!

Thats what I'm talking bout! Im happy as long as the trailer is solid, reliable, supports the boat well, and tows well. As much fun as a new myco would would be, I think i'll hold off until someday when i buy a boat that was built after the Reagon administration!

I think that old Target might look pretty decent with a fresh black paint job. Hell, maybe I'll splurge and install some LEDS to get into the 21st century.

7. Collapse Details

Notice the Vintage "1989" trailer plate in the first pic? lol, i used to tow the Excalibur around with that plate attached in 2005!

"umm, sir, I pulled you over because your trailer plates are expired". "Sorry officer, been meaning to get around to renewing it, just been soo busy"

8. Collapse Details

Do it,,,,, Ill help you go throught it !!!!!!

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by OBNOXUS View Post
    Do it,,,,, Ill help you go throught it !!!!!!

So you think Target or Rolco? When we gonna drop the baja out of the wind?

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER View Post
    Thats what I'm talking bout! Im happy as long as the trailer is solid, reliable, supports the boat well, and tows well. As much fun as a new myco would would be, I think i'll hold off until someday when i buy a boat that was built after the Reagon administration!

I think that old Target might look pretty decent with a fresh black paint job. Hell, maybe I'll splurge and install some LEDS to get into the 21st century.
    I am with you all the way, if I ever buy a boat trailer it will be aluminum. They don't look as good but they are a heck of alot less maintenance!

11. Collapse Details

I wonder what the difference in weight is between a 40FT aluminum and 40FT steel would be? Never weighed mine, but I'd guess maybe 4000? Hell, my 24ft Vnose steel sled trailer is 3800 empty.

12. Collapse Details

Redo the Target, they made great trailers.

13. Collapse Details

Thats another thought,,,,, I can get you a GREAT deal on an aluminum,,,,, come see the trailer under the 38 I sold at the shop and see what you think.

14. Collapse Details

Magic Medicine can get you a great deal on aluminum as well...just think what kind of trailer all those Miller Lite cans could make!

15. Collapse Details

Target makes a great trailer. You can add a drive guard if you like that option.

Your $2500 is a gross underestimation though. You can do the brakes for that- discs with an actuator. 8 tires/wheels (six and two spares) is going to cost you about that much too. I added wheels because the effort in making 20-year-old wheels road worthy is not worth what new one's cost. The beads may not even be salvageable. Blast & paint? Probably cost you $500 or so to have it blasted and about that in paint materials. Then the lights. Me? I'd budget $6k and hope to be slightly surprised if I came in low.

16. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by redhotsommer View Post
    Magic Medicine can get you a great deal on aluminum as well...just think what kind of trailer all those Miller Lite cans could make!
    Let me know so I can start saving cans

17. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Target makes a great trailer. You can add a drive guard if you like that option.

Your $2500 is a gross underestimation though. You can do the brakes for that- discs with an actuator. 8 tires/wheels (six and two spares) is going to cost you about that much too. I added wheels because the effort in making 20-year-old wheels road worthy is not worth what new one's cost. The beads may not even be salvageable. Blast & paint? Probably cost you $500 or so to have it blasted and about that in paint materials. Then the lights. Me? I'd budget $6k and hope to be slightly surprised if I came in low.
    I have found the kodiak 8k lb 13" E-coat disc kit for 350 per axle, and the brakerite actuator for 499.00. So roughly around 1600 just for brake components? The stainless steel kits are nice, but more than double the cost! Since I dont plan on dipping in saltwater, ever, I would think the standard disc kits would be suffice? The wheels/tires on my current trailer are fairly new, so I suppose I can polish them up and keep them. Tires look good, no signs of dry rot, and lots of treadlife left. I think they may be 2 years old.

From what I see, they make a 12" diameter brake kit rated for 5.2k lb axles, and then the 13" kit for 8k lb axles. Since I need to go with the 13" kit, to keep my 8 lug wheels, I'd have 24k lbs worth of braking on all 3 axles. Should stop real nice!

18. Collapse Details

That's a really good price on components. Keep in mind, the lines & fitting sare going to cost you a few $$. The e-coat is just fone for fresh water but the cad plated kit is worth the few extra bucks. Don't forget to add in the breakaway kit. Also, you need to toss the brass fittings that come with the Kodiac calipers and replace them with steel- they're NPT, not banjos- don't know why.

If you can dodge the bullet on tires, that's great. Since you're redoing a trailer, you should go ahead and replace the winch stand/bow stop with something heavier. No trailer manufacturer makes one sufficient to stop a boat sliding on wet bunks in a panic stop.

19. Collapse Details

In Fond Remembrance. StraightJacket's Avatar
    Joe I have a guy out in green Garden that can sand blast and prime it . I have a welder at the house to add a drive guard, and any other structure that might need attention. I think I'm pretty good with the wiring, and Paint ask Sommer. You should just take a look at our old redone trailer that was under the Scarab , only thing is we Powder coated it, instead of paint

20. Collapse Details

I'd rebuild the old one, doesn't look that bad to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER View Post
    Notice the Vintage "1989" trailer plate in the first pic? lol, i used to tow the Excalibur around with that plate attached in 2005!

"umm, sir, I pulled you over because your trailer plates are expired". "Sorry officer, been meaning to get around to renewing it, just been soo busy"
    And I wouldn't count on that excuse working too often anymore!!!