Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    What year did Jesse James 48 Race?
    I am trying to find out what year the Jesse James 48 foot Conquest raced?

I think it was 1989, but was that the only year? Why would they build a boat and race it in only 3 or 4 races...

2. Collapse Details

If truely interested you HAVE to get the video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.historicraceboats.com/dvds.htm

Linder Luhrs - The Partnership that Changed the Game
    Ten years of action-packed NNRT video tracing the exploits of two lifelong racing partners, George Linder and OSO's own Rich "T2x" Luhrs, who represented the best of U.S. design and ingenuity while helping to pave the way for America's later dominance in Cat design. Starting with the early days of Linder's iconic Challenger 21 hull, the DVD covers the startling arrival of the Shadow cat on the world racing scene and its role as the first multihull to outperform vees in both rough seas and calm. See racing legend Willie Diaz turn the entire racing world on its ear with the small block powered "El Boss." Follow the years of championships won by "Black Duck," the most successful hull in offshore history. Watch "Luv-it" tear through the modified fleet. Watch The Shadows evolve into the Chris Cats which dominated racing as no other hull had before. See the legendary Jesse James hulls as Linder and Luhrs developed the revolutionary Conquest hulls, marrying wood and fiberglass composite techniques unlike any construction technique that came before. You'll be amazed by the outboard tunnel boat motors that propelled the Conquest, "Rolling Thunder," past the fastest inboards of the time. Finally, watch footage of the 48 foot four-engined Jesse James, built by the Lavin Family as a tribute to Mark, which became the basis for all of today's Lavin Foundation Safety standards.

3. Collapse Details

JJ was made with non-marine plywood as well. Was only made to race 3-4 races

4. Collapse Details

I have the DVD, but only shows the boat for a couple of minutes. I am looking for footage/pictures from a couple of races.

Also the boat was made from Tri-axial fiberglass & wood so i know it was made to be race more then a few races....I think you are thinking of the Maxon boat...

5. Collapse Details

You are correct! (sorry- head little fuzzy this am...)

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/c...uest-cats.html

6. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor MOBILEMERCMAN's Avatar
    I saw it in Atlantic City. I was surprised to see it had Ford power in it.

7. Collapse Details

do you remember what race in Atlantic City? Was it the worlds? I thought it had Batten engines 4 vales per cylinder....Maybe derived from Ford?

8. Collapse Details

Trump Grand National Sept 21-24 1988

9. Collapse Details

Founding Member/Contributor Sean Stinson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chewiekw View Post
    I have the DVD, but only shows the boat for a couple of minutes. I am looking for footage/pictures from a couple of races.

Also the boat was made from Tri-axial fiberglass & wood so i know it was made to be race more then a few races....I think you are thinking of the Maxon boat...
    Talk to Rich Luhrs (T2x) I am sure he can answer all the questions you may have....I ran into Chris Lavin at the NPBA legends dinner at the Poker Run in NYC and I am sure he would bend your ear as well although I dont have his contact info handy.

10. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MarylandMark View Post
    JJ was made with non-marine plywood as well. Was only made to race 3-4 races
    Not!!!!

The hull that was made of exterior plywood was the '37 Chris Cat plug which became the Maxon. Both JJ's were made to race...and featured an Akoume marine plywood/BI and triaxial fibreglass composite...making them basically indestructible in big seas. Also both hulls had multiple reverse angles making them impossible to "pop". This made them useless to many other so-called "designer builders"......

T2x
    Allergic to Nonsense

11. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MOBILEMERCMAN View Post
    I saw it in Atlantic City. I was surprised to see it had Ford power in it.
    The Popeye's Goetz hull had Ford Power...not "Big JJ"..... "Big JJ" had Batten engines which were completely custom dual overhead cam aluminum block engines made by the creator of the Oldsmobile "Quad 4"........Cyril Batten.

T2x
    Allergic to Nonsense

12. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by T2x View Post
    The Popeye's Goetz hull had Ford Power...not "Big JJ"..... "Big JJ" had Batten engines which were completely custom dual overhead cam aluminum block engines made by the creator of the Oldsmobile "Quad 4"........Cyril Batten.

T2x
    Interesting. I had a Quad 4 in a 1988 Olds Calais. At 7K miles, the motor locked up while sitting at a stop light. I believe the Batten engines in JJ were about as reliable?

13. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me View Post
    Interesting. I had a Quad 4 in a 1988 Olds Calais. At 7K miles, the motor locked up while sitting at a stop light. I believe the Batten engines in JJ were about as reliable?
    No .....less actually......they wouldn't have lasted 7 miles much less 7000.
    Allergic to Nonsense

14. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MOBILEMERCMAN View Post
    Trump Grand National Sept 21-24 1988
    Now I'm confused....I recall it running in the Atlantic City World Championships...held the following year. But My memory is fading.
    Allergic to Nonsense

15. Collapse Details
    Conquest
    Did Mark Lavin die in a Conquest and why?

16. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by T2x View Post
    Now I'm confused....I recall it running in the Atlantic City World Championships...held the following year. But My memory is fading.
    I saw the Jesse James boat and the Goetz Popeyes. I confused the motors. And now maybe the years too. It was twenty years ago. I went to Trumps in '87 and '88. I saw Popeyes TransAtlantic Boat and The Cajun Princess in '87. I believe '88 was the Year the Revlon Boat was there and I think the JJ boat. Not really sure anymore.

Here is a pic from Key West.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jesse James KW 87.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	37.4 KB 
ID:	18533

I remember the JJ boat at Trumps being different. I could not find one I took of JJ at trumps.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Trumps Badge '88.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	122.9 KB 
ID:	18534

'88 was the year it was rough, C brown was killed and a 41 Apache beached their boat just north of the pier.

17. Collapse Details

He died after they stuffed the boat from a basil skull fracture.....To date I only know of one person that has survived a basil skull fracture and that would be Mr. Bobby Saccenti

18. Collapse Details

88 was a rough year and 89 was the year of inception of the offshore professional tour or opt

19. Collapse Details
    Cool
    I think it was 1989 as well. Same year as Don Johnson debuting his cat at Trump Marina and also the unfortunate year that we lost Kevin Brown in the 32' Skater, Skater Express. If I dig through my old scrap books from races I attended throughout the years I have an old race program from that race. This was the year a bunch of the European teams came to Jersey as well for the event. I was there in 88 and 89. Also Bob Kaiser debuted a then new project twin turbo motor from Mercury Racing.
    YOU JUST CAN'T MAKE THIS SH*T UP!!!!!!

20. Collapse Details

I also remember going on a party boat with my father two of the days of racing. The first one was canceled do to rough seas and then the day of the tragedy the only boat allowed out to the course other then patrol boats and turn boats was the Trump Princess.
    YOU JUST CAN'T MAKE THIS SH*T UP!!!!!!