Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Look back through history at the relationship between crews and their ships, if boats do not have a soul, they have what ever is close to a soul. Boats do talk, if you listen they can tell you how they feel, how they are running, and when something is going wrong.

Listening to your boat is like listening when you talk to your yourself , you will be surprised at what you can learn.

2. Collapse Details

I have to agree about "listening" to the boat.
    And I guess I am a bit romantic about the old boats - but I prefer to consider it nostalgic
    "Keep the bottle on the bar Ira, I won't be long".

3. Collapse Details

i have an 70' ww2 tugboat i will say yes to all of the above it even has a certain smell below decks that just makes ya smile if you love mechanical things

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Buoy View Post
    I have to agree about "listening" to the boat.
    And I guess I am a bit romantic about the old boats - but I prefer to consider it nostalgic
    Me too. Maybe it takes a soul to know a soul.

Never had a new boat. Had some old pieces of crap that I looked at with my idiot romantic eyes and fell in love with. Like a Nova, Stinger, and a Brave. They were all relationships.

Save the classic offshores.
    Warning: This post may contain language unsuitable for minors or math not suitable for liberal-arts majors.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    Just throw some money at them and they'll be happy for a while........

.................then the next time, they'll want even more
    That sounds like a woman!

My boat has a soul, I know it. When I go out and run it hard through some good water she treats me right and keeps me safe. In turn I keep her clean and well maintained. I fire her up I let her get her $hit together before I bring her on plane and I give her a rub on the gunnel when we head out. If you think I'm kidding ask my wife. And if she isn't around ....watch.
    AT Cult Member since 1999

6. Collapse Details

Registered
    Does a Cigarette or Apache has a greater soul then a Baja or Fountain ?
    Where do their souls go when they die ?
    What if they're Catholic ?

ed

7. Collapse Details

Of course boats have a soul! We all know they torture us with seemingly human cruelty at times!

When we picked up our Fountain, we had traded in a SPOTLESS 29 Powerquest...the Beaker was beautiful from a distance, but up close, she was a little rough (I have rectified that situation since). At any rate...my wife (who has quite a way with phraseology) refered the boat as the "Big Red Meanie." I laughed and said just wait until you take a ride. Well...our first ride found us in a serious LOTO downpour...I honestly thought the boat was going to sink it was raining so hard...we put it back on the trailer after 10 minutes of deluge. Our second ride, we were having a great day until a module went out on the std motor 11 miles from the condo. The third ride (after Raymond's had fixed the module), we had a great day on the lake...nearly perfect. I had to drop my wife at Raymond's so she could drive the truck and trailer to the condo while I piloted the boat back. Of course, with her off the boat, I had some words with my new baby...something to the effect of how we were going to have to get along from here on out, and that I promised to be good to it. The sun was just setting as I was cruising along at 55...a beautiful scene. My heart thrilled to the sound of the motors, and I was in my glory staring down that long red bow. I was following a map of the lake to get to the condo (my first time at LOTO...everything looks the SAME)...when the map blew to the floor. I reached down to retrieve it, and as soon as I was looking downward and nearly had the map in hand, the boat hit a wake and literally punched my in the face with "it's" throttles! I pulled into the slip with a rapidly swelling eye...my wife was like "WHAT happened to you?" I said the Big Red Meanie punched me. So yeah...I believe boats have souls. Some are just badasses.

8. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor MOBILEMERCMAN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Real Baja View Post
    Look back through history at the relationship between crews and their ships, if boats do not have a soul, they have what ever is close to a soul. Boats do talk, if you listen they can tell you how they feel, how they are running, and when something is going wrong.

Listening to your boat is like listening when you talk to your yourself , you will be surprised at what you can learn.
    I agree totally. Motors sing when they are right and grown when there not. They almost always give clues of imminent failure. The trick is to listen and know what they are saying.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MOBILEMERCMAN View Post
    I agree totally. Motors sing when they are right and grown when there not. They almost always give clues of imminent failure. The trick is to listen and know what they are saying.
    My father tought me the love of boating from a young age. He always told me to listen to the engine. It is true they talk to you. They tell you how they are feeling and then you are running her right she always lets you know. I alsow learned to always talk nice to her, she is a lady and should be treated like one!
    Taking Over the World One Thread at a Time
    The Penguin Cometh

10. Collapse Details

Registered
    boat dealers are as lame as a attorney

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Diver & Driver View Post
    Taking Over the World One Thread at a Time
    The Penguin Cometh

12. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Davidmnc View Post
    Parabellum FJ²B

13. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tommymonza View Post

The only thing a boat and a women have in commin is they are both money thievin souless objects lusted by us men for the pleasure we dream they will bring only to endure the pain that will ensue.

14. Collapse Details

All my boats were my "soul mates". They do have one. My very first little baby still "calls" me and I would buy her back in a heart beat. That's why boats called "she" or "her" with all the gender problems to go with it.
    "Bella Senorita" (the Avanti) is typical to a woman. Temperamental to the extreme.
    The first year she was detailed for every event. Not a "beep' out of her. Then I cut back on detailing, I ran out of gas in Destin. Just a good wash for the Sarasota run, (last year) lost a power steering fitting and fluid all over the bilge. A quick wash for Ft. Myers run.. header problems. Nice, carefull, wash down, wax and TLC for Jax. No problems.
    I guess she better get a detail or something for Heat Of the Sumer run.
    Life is: what happens... when you plan something else.

15. Collapse Details

Have no idea BUT........The condo has a Salami Slicer!
    .......Augie Pensa.......

The Godfather

16. Collapse Details

Banned
    I think no, women have non either they always say threat your boat as your wife..it won't run kick it and if everyhting is ok, make love to it !!! LOL

17. Collapse Details

If a boat has a soul, can someone channel bad things to your boat from beyond? Each time I end up with a problem with my boat, my wife ask me what did I do to upset my late Father. It always seems that I have sold on of the cars from his collection or painted over something he had hanging at the dealership. Kinda odd. A new twist to this post!

18. Collapse Details

wow.
    Forgot all about this thread, but glad to see it back up.

It's pathetic. My old '80 Pantera has been sitting in the same spot for over a year with nothing significant done to put her back together.
    But, I still go out and wash her every ~2 weeks (even though there are portions that are sanded paint and primer).
    Finally back in a good job that I like, and progress should be coming soon.
    I go outside for a smoke, and she is staring at me.
    She wants to be back together and start running hard again. I can feel it.
    "Keep the bottle on the bar Ira, I won't be long".

19. Collapse Details

I believe this boat has a soul, and this Magnum definitely has a personality. My father owned this boat for 18 years +/-. Lots of soul.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My Father.jpg  

20. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Diver & Driver View Post
    Lame as an attorney???? WTF

If you ever get in trouble, or need help the attorney won't seem so lame then. (You can guess what I do for a living --- when I work)

Just bustin your balls....