Thread: GPS Speedometer

1. Collapse Details
    GPS Speedometer
    Livorsi wants me to send in my speedo and antenna as it only works sporadically. Wondering how to get this antenna off. Seems like it's on there pretty solid. Don' want to ruin anything. Suggestions??
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0205091358.jpg  

2. Collapse Details

They are generally just caulked, Fountain could confirm. If so, maybe use a heavy fishing line and saw it off from four sides and then pull the antenna loose by hand. You will need to disconect the lead at the gauge and pull the wire out thru the deck.

3. Collapse Details

Thank You !!

4. Collapse Details

Put a little Goof Off around it first. It will make the job real easy then.
    Elitemarine@sbcglobal.net
    www.elitemarineonline.com - Livorsi,CP,Lifeline,CMI,Box Anchor & more!

5. Collapse Details

get a bigger hammer!!

6. Collapse Details

I think it is just double sided tape.

7. Collapse Details

Thank you all / The Goof Off and fishing line worked perfectly. Not a mark. Thanks again!! Knowledge is power and here's to the power of SO!

8. Collapse Details

Hi Dan, not sure if this is related, but I thought I'd post the info in case somebody finds your thread via search.

Eventually the Livorsi GPS Speedo will run through it's self check, settle on Zero, then rise to the 9 - o'clock position and freeze. This indicates there's no communication between the gauge, and the antenna. Check your wiring and connections first, but if the unit is a couple years old, it could be a dead battery found in the antenna.

The antenna was originally designed to be installed independent of any power source, and primarily deployed as a tracking device by this company. So they designed it with a flat coin type battery. It's not designated as a "user serviceable" item. I took mine apart and see why, it's a little tricky.

The battery inside the unit is a CR1632, found almost anywhere (usually under $2 online via eBay, etc.). It has a very limited useful life, and is NOT rechargeable.

The easiest and permanent fix is to connect your GPS NMEA output wire to the "S" terminal on the back of the gauge. This allows the gauge to display the speed as tracked by your GPS. The "S" terminal is where the orange wire is connected from the hockey puck antenna.

It's very important you remember to use your GPS configuration and setup screen to turn on NMEA output. Most default to "off" out of the box. In the "On" setting, NMEA data (which includes your speed) is sent to the gauge.

If you're handy with a soldering gun and want to replace the battery, go for it, but remember it will eventually die again. Livorsi will replace the battery for you, but at the time I called, it was around $75 plus shipping fees.
    Last edited by Keith; 07-23-2009 at 08:16 AM. Reason: pet peeve - misspellings and malformed URL BBcode. :)
    Keith

A proud member of the Mud Puppy Racing and Fishing Teams
    Copyright, All Rights Reserved

9. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks, nice info on first post.

What have you been doing?????
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

10. Collapse Details

I can't believe that's my first post, sheesh. Work is really cutting into my personal life now, bigtime. Just too damned busy for the last year or so, and basically disappeared from the radar screen. I think I put about 20 hours on the boat the last two seasons, versus a normal 75 hour season.
    Keith

A proud member of the Mud Puppy Racing and Fishing Teams
    Copyright, All Rights Reserved