Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Todays Boat Construction
    know most of the boats back in the day were wood, aluminum, and fiberglass. But how are today’s boat built? (MTI, Fountains, Mystics, Cigarettes, Skaters, Outerlimits, Platinum, etc)

Do they all use the same basic materials, what material do they use carbon fiber? I see that Platinum uses an Autoclave, how does this help?

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by chewiekw View Post
    know most of the boats back in the day were wood, aluminum, and fiberglass. But how are today’s boat built? (MTI, Fountains, Mystics, Cigarettes, Skaters, Outerlimits, Platinum, etc)

Do they all use the same basic materials, what material do they use carbon fiber? I see that Platinum uses an Autoclave, how does this help?

Some plastics (like epoxy) store Heat energy as Bonds Plus the Autoclave (Big Big Money) Pressures are much higher than can be obtained under a vacuum bag which is limited to the weight of the atmosphere @14.7 PSI at sea level.

The Autoclave meanwhile is capable of pressures 100’s of times greater than the simple bag can ever produce, Now with the Autoclave the elevated temperature (more bonds) along with the High pressure cure One can achieve the ultimate physicals of the laminate IE a tightly packed and low resin laminate is desired here.

Think of it as a Pressure oven or heated Vacuum chamber There are Also Hydroclaves which use liquid as the working fluid much safer Now for when they go only a end of the factory gets demolished insted of the city block
    Slippery when wet. PODLESS TUNNEL www.cheetahcat.com ,Repairs, Modifications and Truing Cheap reliable speed.

3. Collapse Details

Kevlar is still widely used and now carbon fiber is being placed in key stress areas. There have been total carbon/epoxy boats constructed. They're very strong and they're light, but in an offshore boat that's not always a good thing. They're very stiff and when you toss light into the mix, that doesn't give you the best in rough-water handling charachteristics.

The issue with an autoclave-cured all-carbon boat is how do you repair it?

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Kevlar is still widely used and now carbon fiber is being placed in key stress areas. There have been total carbon/epoxy boats constructed. They're very strong and they're light, but in an offshore boat that's not always a good thing. They're very stiff and when you toss light into the mix, that doesn't give you the best in rough-water handling charachteristics.

This allows you to put the weight where you want it.

5. Collapse Details

Curing blanket and a simple bag talking small areas!
    Slippery when wet. PODLESS TUNNEL www.cheetahcat.com ,Repairs, Modifications and Truing Cheap reliable speed.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 1 View Post
    Curing blanket and a simple bag talking small areas!
    Would you attempt a repair like that on the Callan Tencara?

7. Collapse Details

Would you attempt a repair like that on the Callan Tencara?
    What Kind of "repair" are you talking about?

8. Collapse Details

What Kind of "repair" are you talking about?
    putting the bottom of the sponson back on it

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Sean H View Post
    putting the bottom of the sponson back on it
    How could that be a problem?

10. Collapse Details

How could that be a problem?
    pics
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 103-0330_img.jpg   103-0331_img.jpg   103-0333_img.jpg  

11. Collapse Details

pics
    Dude Money is an VERY Amazing thing!!! Hell Yes that can be fixed I build Cats Moldless. But what caused it? Accident or An Accident in engineering or Most common the dreaded Shop related Qlitch?

12. Collapse Details

there a pics of it growing larger lap after lap then finally letting go, either a small impact or a spot started delaminating and then the water pressure got to it.

13. Collapse Details

there a pics of it growing larger lap after lap then finally letting go, either a small impact or a spot started delaminating and then the water pressure got to it.
    That is a big dollar operation and some smart people involved.They may have hit something to start the failure.

14. Collapse Details
    Wink
    materials , Epoxy, core , kevlar, carbon fiber , S or E , glass and these materials are only used where needed along with vacume bagging and i agree with Steve , that a repair can be fixed either the old fashion way or with a splash and yes money is an amazing thing . I think years ago tencara was using a male mold but i could be wrong . I remember many years ago when working at Skater when we were in the transition of using epoxy from vinyl and having boats comeing back because the jell was peeling of the sides of the boat and then starting to throw cotton flock into a fan that went into the mold after the jell was sprayed so we could get the jell to adhere to the epoxy and then we discovered Poly Bond which could be sprayed .

15. Collapse Details
    SHARKEY-IMAGES
    Thumbs up
    Not all boats are created equal !!!

Take a crawl through this one:

http://sharkeyimages.zenfolio.com/p717714162/slideshow

16. Collapse Details

I have to say that i have done repairs far worse then that , like the old CARLOS N CHARLIES X-TREME and JELLY BELLY GONE AGAIN , just to name a few !

17. Collapse Details

SHARKEY-IMAGES
    Oh what water can do.....

18. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by SHARKEY-IMAGES View Post
    Oh what water can do.....

Come on SHARKEY you must have better pics then that and might i mention it is not that bad , till you see and smell blood , or rot out of the oridinary in the core or the bilge .

19. Collapse Details

SHARKEY-IMAGES
    Sure I do !

But I just sold them !

Stay tuned......

20. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Ginger View Post
    I have to say that i have done repairs far worse then that , like the old CARLOS N CHARLIES X-TREME

This boat? What happened to it?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails EXTREME.jpg