Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by SHARKEY-IMAGES View Post
    Thanks Steve!

The one thing I changed in the future layups was I feathered the chop mat as it ran up the bow so it would not to leave such a solid edge.
    A shot of the final inside layer:
    Is that a 40 or 45 foot big vee hull? Are you building them now?

2. Collapse Details

SHARKEY-IMAGES
    Quote Originally Posted by OneBadInjun View Post
    Is that a 40 or 45 foot big vee hull? Are you building them now?
    No.

That would be this one that is being built by Hydra whom I used to work for:

More photos: http://sharkeyimages.zenfolio.com/p100583851

3. Collapse Details

Foam in a Whaler is a structural material, just not a core like we are familiar. Comparing the two was not fair, however it does show that foam in general can have its problems. Other builders like Edgewater and Everglades are especially fond of it. But that’s a completely different type of construction.

Balsa does have many shortcomings as you guys pointed out. Absorption of both water and resin is at the top. I think I’ve seen a “skinned” balsa material that may alleviate some of theses issues.

Personal opinion is that the new polymer core materials are the way to go for high end construction. As said earlier they are available in almost any weight and cut. Has any material been developed that outperforms marine grade ply for transoms?

Resin infusion is attractive for large production builders where they are trying to control VOC emissions.

The big issue with any of this is preventing water from penetrating the inner or outer layers in the first place.

4. Collapse Details

Hey Steve #1 - Tim - sharky , Just curious guys have we been doing this to long and how many years have you been in the business ? I personally have over thirty years experience in the field and i guess that qualifies me as an old goat roper .

5. Collapse Details

SHARKEY-IMAGES
    I started around 1984 and got out around 1995 ??? But non the less I always admire a good clean lay up.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Ginger View Post
    Hey Steve #1 - Tim - sharky , Just curious guys have we been doing this to long and how many years have you been in the business ? I personally have over thirty years experience in the field and i guess that qualifies me as an old goat roper .
    Glass work As a life style LOL ? 78 when I knocked the Bottom out of my raceboat in the Magnum Marine Bahamas 100 and figured I could do it better myself! I was always fooling with fiberglass it was cheap and you could make anything out of it.
    Slippery when wet. PODLESS TUNNEL www.cheetahcat.com ,Repairs, Modifications and Truing Cheap reliable speed.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by BradH View Post
    Foam in a Whaler is a structural material, just not a core like we are familiar. Comparing the two was not fair, however it does show that foam in general can have its problems. Other builders like Edgewater and Everglades are especially fond of it. But that’s a completely different type of construction.

Balsa does have many shortcomings as you guys pointed out. Absorption of both water and resin is at the top. I think I’ve seen a “skinned” balsa material that may alleviate some of theses issues.

Personal opinion is that the new polymer core materials are the way to go for high end construction. As said earlier they are available in almost any weight and cut. Has any material been developed that outperforms marine grade ply for transoms?

Resin infusion is attractive for large production builders where they are trying to control VOC emissions.

The big issue with any of this is preventing water from penetrating the inner or outer layers in the first place.
    Dude here is some testing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRzyw0Jo8Zg

The first one is Airex R63.80 Next is A 400 then A 600 Corecell Then 2 Cross linked foams and the two Balsa samples Structural cores are not Poured !!They are made in very controlled conditions and should never be confused with the Cheap two part systems AS they start life as a Real Engineering Plastic. BTW water will not hurt them for say 300 years Hell Airex is PVC.
    Slippery when wet. PODLESS TUNNEL www.cheetahcat.com ,Repairs, Modifications and Truing Cheap reliable speed.

8. Collapse Details

nice demo. what was that third core? looked like divinacell?? and i assume the last is balsa? heres a few pics of a project we've been just finishing
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cbf14side.jpg   DSC00040#2.JPG   cbf14side.jpg4.jpg  

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by skaterdave View Post
    nice demo. what was that third core? looked like divinacell?? and i assume the last is balsa? heres a few pics of a project we've been just finishing
    What is it , a lab strake hull for a Jersey Skiff..............orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr please do not tell me it is for a ragger boat

10. Collapse Details

Yes it was Divinycell on the third test set the last two panels were Balsa.

Way Cool Job BTW

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Ginger View Post
    What is it , a lab strake hull for a Jersey Skiff..............orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr please do not tell me it is for a ragger boat
    aaaahhhh yes, wondering if anyone would know what a skiff is.

steve 1, gotta watch i know alot of guys like the airex over the corecell, but from what i've been told its not good for decks or hull sides that would get a lot of heat from the sun.

12. Collapse Details

Secret spy pic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1stcoatgel.jpg  

13. Collapse Details

aaaahhhh yes, wondering if anyone would know what a skiff is.

steve 1, gotta watch i know alot of guys like the airex over the corecell, but from what i've been told its not good for decks or hull sides that would get a lot of heat from the sun.
    Got to be careful it is PVC and you can have a problem on a dark boat,But It has the the highest Peel Strength of all the cores and you can deform the cells like 80% before rupture and it spreads loading out well. I have a lot of history with it.

14. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 1 View Post
    Dude here is some testing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRzyw0Jo8Zg

The first one is Airex R63.80 Next is A 400 then A 600 Corecell Then 2 Cross linked foams and the two Balsa samples Structural cores are not Poured !!They are made in very controlled conditions and should never be confused with the Cheap two part systems AS they start life as a Real Engineering Plastic. BTW water will not hurt them for say 300 years Hell Airex is PVC.
    Yah the new engineered cores are amazing, and let's get off the older technology two-part foams for a completely different type of boat. I did not know the new Airex had so much elasticity. Is the stiffness still as high as the others? Whats the loading and panel width?

What are you guys' thoughts on transom cores?

15. Collapse Details

Great info. Thanks for the education.
    Jim

16. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by BradH View Post
    Yah the new engineered cores are amazing, and let's get off the older technology two-part foams for a completely different type of boat. I did not know the new Airex had so much elasticity. Is the stiffness still as high as the others? Whats the loading and panel width?

What are you guys' thoughts on transom cores?
    Coosa has some material Mantex has been around for a while.

Airex lets put it this way; I built a 1188 pound 36 foot 9 foot beam Cat from it in 91 and I can do much better nowadays. Stiffness S-Glass or S glass Carbon blend would I imagine produce the best numbers depending on the facings filiment content.

17. Collapse Details

We've done Coosa and plywood. 0 failures.

18. Collapse Details

Some of our new work. I have a talented partner!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1st41sexy.jpg   1sttallgunnel.jpg  

19. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by THEJOKER View Post
    Some of our new work. I have a talented partner!
    Real nice looking stuff !!

20. Collapse Details

SHARKEY-IMAGES
    Demo from DIAB at the IBEX Show: