Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Using a moving Co.
    The deal is almost signed.
    We're moving from Cincy to Phoenix.
    The Co. is picking up the moving tab. They will transport one vehicle, but I need to drive the other vehicle, and haul the boat myself.
    It's a "NO-TOUCH" move - as in, they come in, pack everything, haul it, and then un-pack for you.
    I've moved many times in my life, and always did it myself. (U-Haul).
    Always moved only a few hundred miles though, so this is a huge cross country move.
    3 days driving with both dogs in the truck, and my boat in tow.
    So, moving Co.s - what do I need to prep for, be careful about, or watch out for??
    Anybody done this before?? I need some advice on how to do this.
    "Keep the bottle on the bar Ira, I won't be long".

2. Collapse Details

I've heard nightmare stories about cross-country movers. Many of them revolving around them sub-contracting the haul.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I've heard nightmare stories about cross-country movers. Many of them revolving around them sub-contracting the haul.
    The Co. is the hiring contact, and I'm not sure if they have a regular hauler they use.
    This is the type of info I'm looking for.

What type of horror stories, and how do I protect myself?

4. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor MOBILEMERCMAN's Avatar
    If You decide to move your self. Look for "starving college students" to load your pre packed boxes and heavy stuff. Check into Penske Trucks. The are unlimited miles one way 5 day deals. I have used them many times for various moves and jobs. U haul and others charge mileage and the equipment is old. Penske stuff is new or nearly so.

Chris is right I have seen night mare stories too on TV about interstate moving. There are really no laws to protect you. The often hold your stuff and bend you over before delivery.

5. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor MOBILEMERCMAN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Buoy View Post
    The Co. is the hiring contact, and I'm not sure if they have a regular hauler they use.

If the Co. was a regular hauler they use that is a great start. Don't even consider the small budget companies on an interstate move.

I was likely I had my son help by driving the second vehicle.

6. Collapse Details

I suppose it's like everything else- references, business practices, insurance, etc.

The stories I've heard are when they have problems and abandon your stuff. Or some half-broke sub abandons your load. Most of all, you have to make certain the van loads at your house, travels directly to your new location and unloads. No stops, detours, transfers, storage, etc.

7. Collapse Details

We use Penske equipment at my company. First rate fleet, good service and reasonable rates. Good luck buoy - Jeff
    People we meet in life are either a Blessing or a Lesson

8. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Make sure you use a full time, professional mover. Do you have a local Mayflower mover, etc. Do not let your company contract it out to the lowest, fly by night, back haul, bidder....... If necessary, pay the difference yourself. Make sure you have a written contract with no loopholes. Have your attorney read it if you feel necessary.

Pack your fragile items yourself. Do it right.

Do you have enough for a full trailer? If so, you're in better shape than not. They won't be able, or tempted, to add someone else's stuff to the load.

Meet the people involved ahead of time. Interview them just like you would anyone you would contract to do work inside your house. References, etc.

Ship your most valuble objects, like family heirlooms, yourself or take them in your car with you. Remember though, your car can also get stolen or broken into. Remember Chris in Pitt......

Photograph your stuff when packing and loading. If it is especially important to you, document the condition. Treat it like you would for your insurance coverage on specialty items in case of a house fire, etc.

And last, talk to your own personal insurance agent for coverage on the move and any other documentation they may require for it. They can be a lot of help if you have one you trust.

I moved from Portland, OR to Grand Rapids, MI with no problems at all.
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

9. Collapse Details

My first truck driving job was moving HHG (house hold goods) in CA. Smaller companys as like "starving students" contract work out. I would suggest a major moving company as Mayflower, North American, Paul Arpin etc. Every single item must have an inventory sticker noting damages etc on the inventory sheet. There are accessorial charges that sometimes are not mentioned at the time of the estimate. Some of these AC's may be whats called long carries (distance from where the truck may be able to park to the front door) flight charges (stairs, elevators, etc) piano charges and fuel surcharge to name a few. The estimator will determine the cost of the move by weight. Once the driver has loaded he will hit a scale. If the weight is more than the estimate you will be charged for it. Personally I would specify that you want to see the drivers scale ticket...fuel is between 7-8lbs per gallon if you can read between the lines.

10. Collapse Details

since your wife's company is paying the tariff, they will pick the mover.... if it's a BIG player she is working for chances are good the Co has done this before with reputable movers... with that said, check the insurance cert's yourself, grab a chair, and watch the circus... may not be as bad as you think... these moving co's need the business so I doubt they will screw up...

11. Collapse Details

The deal is almost signed.
    We're moving from Cincy to Phoenix.
    The Co. is picking up the moving tab. They will transport one vehicle, but I need to drive the other vehicle, and haul the boat myself.
    It's a "NO-TOUCH" move - as in, they come in, pack everything, haul it, and then un-pack for you.
    I've moved many times in my life, and always did it myself. (U-Haul).
    Always moved only a few hundred miles though, so this is a huge cross country move.
    3 days driving with both dogs in the truck, and my boat in tow.
    So, moving Co.s - what do I need to prep for, be careful about, or watch out for??
    Anybody done this before?? I need some advice on how to do this.
    We've made the corporate move several times in the last 7-8yrs: KS to GA, GA to NC, NC to OK & OK to OH, and we've seen the good and the really bad. I can list horror stories from just plain incompetence to having your truck locked away for 30-45 days with nobody knowing where it is, and not being able to get to it.

I'll shoot you a PM with my email and # if you want to contact me/us.

12. Collapse Details

Registered
    I'll second Buiz's comments. I've worked for a few big Cos that regularly covered relo for new hires; I've seen the bills. If the new Co. does this on at least a semi-regular basis, they probably hire out the coordination of the relo process. Part of this includes the direct contract of the movers. For the most part, this means that you'll either be the only load on the truck, or at least your stuff won't get hijacked into a warehouse. And unless there are unforeseen circumstances (weather, breakdown, etc.), the movers will be at the delivery address when they say they'll be there. You mentioned they'll "transport" one vehicle; chances are they'll throw that in the truck with all your stuff, confirming that you'll be the only one on there and they'll go direct from A to B.

If you have stuff that is truly valuable, irreplaceable, that you'd rather nobody touch or have in their possession, DIY. I've done two long distance moves with movers, one to NYC and one to VA/DC. The NYC move was with a large local company; my sh!t got hijacked, some lost, some broken. But F them, they had to lug it up 6 flights. The VA move was with a contractor for a large national company. Great experience, cool guy, hired locals on each end to do the heavy lifting; they had to lug some heavy stuff up 3 flights.

Congrats on the relo!

13. Collapse Details

Great points!

Try to get your own truck (only your stuff; not a piggy back load with someone elses stuff).

Put a zip tie on the door and sign your name on it with a Sharpie marker once the door is shut. If they have to open it (weigh stations some times check inside) tell them you want a call and 1 hour to get someone there to monitor. Post here and see if someone can go to the weigh station to watch your stuff for you and then re-ziptie with their sig on it (leave some spare zips inside the cargo area). Simple security to keep your stuff yours. So much going on- new place, new city, new job, etc you could be missing some thing for months before you know it.

14. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MOBILEMERCMAN View Post
    If You decide to move your self. Look for "starving college students" to load your pre packed boxes and heavy stuff. Check into Penske Trucks. The are unlimited miles one way 5 day deals. I have used them many times for various moves and jobs. U haul and others charge mileage and the equipment is old. Penske stuff is new or nearly so.

Chris is right I have seen night mare stories too on TV about interstate moving. There are really no laws to protect you. The often hold your stuff and bend you over before delivery.

I am a U-Haul dealer and most of their equipment is new now. I have had many trucks with less than 50,000 miles and even some that are straight out of the factory less than 100 miles.
    U-Haul also offers a packing system but have never used it but it's companies that are moving companies that do side work. They load and you drive. As with all big changes there are many headaches. If they are willing to do it all for you, then go for it. Just check and recheck everything possible and be really strong on their insurance for breakage and missing things. Moving youself is a big PITA but for a short haul do it your self.

15. Collapse Details

Worldwide - Blue Martini Hall of Fame - Your sisters house
    Call Augie and have him give you a contact recco. This way when you call and tell them he ref'd you they know if they screw up it'll be their last job.......

16. Collapse Details

With the relo companies you really have no choice of the carrier they contract with (unless you have some documented issue to use that would exclude them). The company will verify that they are a respectable mover with the correct ammount of insurance etc, but you need to make for certain you understand your relo benefits very well, and understand who's deadlines for reporting damage isurrance claims is the correct one. Don't sign anything the movers or driver presents to you unless you understand it (READ IT COMPLETELY). Between the company you work for, the relo company and the moving company there is going to be some serious discrepancies in everyones interpretation of your benefits. All companies have different levels of relo benefits based on level and length of employment and it is not uncommon for everyone, including the company issuing the benefit, to really not have any grasp on exactly what you get or not. We've experienced over each move the level of knowledge by the relo representative has gotten worse (Cendant now Cartus), but to even confuse things more our last two moves our first rep(s) went on vacation the week we were to begin the process. We had four (4) different reps on this last move and it was a nightmare, there was a total disconnect between everyone. I had to fly back to OK to load my truck several months after we had already been in OH becuse the truck never showed up on schedule, and we had to get to OH to close on the house.

This is one of the most stressful things you will ever do, and you won't realize how many things have to be finalized to get out of town. It will all start to be a whirlwind of chaos. Good luck and I hope you get a good relo rep and some movers that take good care of you.

17. Collapse Details

The relo program looks pretty good.
    The Co. we work for contracts the move for us. Covered under there insurance.
    I'm gonna have my hands full dealing with selling this house, and all the other crap.
    Plus prep my truck and boat trailer to make the haul.
    (I still need tires on each).
    And I'm sitting on a 50/50 whether I have a job when I get there.

If the Co. is hiring the moving Co. - I'm thinking it makes it their responsibility to get our stuff to the new place - am I wrong?

18. Collapse Details

The relo program looks pretty good.
    The Co. we work for contracts the move for us. Covered under there insurance.
    I'm gonna have my hands full dealing with selling this house, and all the other crap.
    Plus prep my truck and boat trailer to make the haul.
    (I still need tires on each).
    And I'm sitting on a 50/50 whether I have a job when I get there.

If the Co. is hiring the moving Co. - I'm thinking it makes it their responsibility to get our stuff to the new place - am I wrong?
    I chose to see that as a 1:1 ratio.
    Warning: This post may contain language unsuitable for minors or math not suitable for liberal-arts majors.

19. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by fund razor View Post
    I chose to see that as a 1:1 ratio.
    Only if your being divisive about it.

20. Collapse Details

You could always do voice overs.
    Warning: This post may contain language unsuitable for minors or math not suitable for liberal-arts majors.