Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Apache- What's in a name?

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by fund razor View Post
    I heard that the 43 NT needs steps, yes steps to get enough air under it.

Apaches use rough water for that.
    But they R just itty bitty steps 2 help it settle on the trailer!!!!!

3. Collapse Details

Icon/Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Not necessarily splashed- that infers a direct copy. But the 35 was expanded to be the 39 Competition, which was later shortened to 37'7", which became the 38 which is the basis for the 41 Apache. Or something like that.
    Hi Chris maybe this will help..

It started out as the 35’ Cigarette race boats designed by Don Aronow in 1972. The first two boats out of the new mold went to Bob Nordskog founder of Powerboat Magazine and Carl Kiekhaefer. After that the 35’ went into production, today known as the Cafι-Racer..

Next; In the late seventies Don lengthened the 35’ to 37 ½’ . I rigged and raced the first one for Jerry Jacoby Ajachawk #17. Today it is in production as the 38 Top Gun..

Nest; Don once again lengthened the 37 ½ to 41’ This time he used the mold to create the USA Racing Team Catamarans. By dividing the 41’ hull at the keel and putting a wing in between the divided hulls this created a cameraman that Don sold to the Government as DEA / Customs offshore interceptors. After Don finished his project, Apache Powerboats purchased the 41’ mold..

4. Collapse Details

registered
    Wow. Good history. Welcome aboard, Bobby Saccenti

5. Collapse Details

interesting.
    i didnt drink steczs koolaid...

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Saccenti View Post

It started out as the 35’ Cigarette race boats designed by Don Aronow in 1972. The first two boats out of the new mold went to Bob Nordskog founder of Powerboat Magazine and Carl Kiekhaefer. After that the 35’ went into production, today known as the Cafι-Racer..

Next; In the late seventies Don lengthened the 35’ to 37 ½’ . I rigged and raced the first one for Jerry Jacoby Ajachawk #17. Today it is in production as the 38 Top Gun..

Nest; Don once again lengthened the 37 ½ to 41’ This time he used the mold to create the USA Racing Team Catamarans. By dividing the 41’ hull at the keel and putting a wing in between the divided hulls this created a cameraman that Don sold to the Government as DEA / Customs offshore interceptors. After Don finished his project, Apache Powerboats purchased the 41’ mold..
    Nice to have these facts

Whats the story of the rare 33 Apache? And the more common 36.

Here΄s my friends 36 newly rigged with 1100's 5.0L whipples, dry SSM#6 etc.
    I know he runned 100MPH before one engine went down...

Thanks
    Mange
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails walles-01.jpg   walles-02.jpg   walles-03.jpg  

7. Collapse Details

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails walles-04.jpg  

8. Collapse Details

Bob,

Good chatting with you the other day, I still have to email you that video I promised!

I'll talk to ya later!

Frank U.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Mange View Post
    Nice to have these facts

Thanks
    Mange
    Manage,

Hopefully Bob will coment or confirm but the 36' was a cut down 41' hull with Bobby's deck. It was supposed to be a 35' but someone didn't know how to use a tape measure....

10. Collapse Details

Thanks for the clarification, Bob.

How did the 39 Competition fit in? The stories I had always heard were that the 39 suffered from some ill handling effects and that the 37-7 was an effort to solve that.

And since we have you, how did the 39 Squadron fit in? Alot assume it's the same basic hull as the 38, but I recall the strakes being somewhat larger.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Apache _1981_.jpg  

11. Collapse Details

Poor Bob. We've been so Saccenti-starved for so long, I fear we'll keep him here for weeks answeing questions.

12. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Geronimo36 View Post
    Manage,

Hopefully Bob will coment or confirm but the 36' was a cut down 41' hull with Bobby's deck. It was supposed to be a 35' but someone didn't know how to use a tape measure....
    Now thats funny
    It was supposed to be a 35' but someone didn't know how to use a tape measure....

I really like the deck on the 36! Thanks for info!!

Mange

13. Collapse Details

Original 35 became the Cafe. 35' that became a 37 1/2' is today a 38 TG. What was the 41' referred to at that time since Apache did not own it originally?
    Queen of Bammin'

14. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Dollabill View Post
    Why are Apache's so great?
    Because people say, "Is that one of them thar Cigar boats?"
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

15. Collapse Details

When I was pulling my 35 out to Glassdaves, a guy in our industrial park stopped to chat. He asked what brand of boat it was. I said "Cigarette". He says, "yeah, I know, but who made it?"

16. Collapse Details

registered
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    When I was pulling my 35 out to Glassdaves, a guy in our industrial park stopped to chat. He asked what brand of boat it was. I said "Cigarette". He says, "yeah, I know, but who made it?"
    I can't tell you how many times I've had to explain this little tidbit of info to someone inquiring about the boat...I should print up cards and save myself the trouble.

17. Collapse Details

:WHY ARE Apaches so great?------ Because they create these threads.... They go on and on and on and on no mater how rough it gets or how many get started they don't give up

18. Collapse Details

Icon/Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiefApache View Post
    Original 35 became the Cafe. 35' that became a 37 1/2' is today a 38 TG. What was the 41' referred to at that time since Apache did not own it originally?
    The Aronow built 41’ never was tagged with a model name.. Reason was, Aronow at the time was under a none compete with the new owners of Cigarette. After Aronow sold the company he opened up a new company across the street called USA Racing Team. While under a non compete contract, Aronow was only allowed to build catamarans. To expedite his catamaran project Don built the 41’ mold with the intentions that eventually after his non compete had expired, he would go back into building V bottom boats. But when Apache ask Don if he would sell the 41’ molds, he smiled and said Why Not.

19. Collapse Details

Icon/Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mange View Post
    Nice to have these facts

Thanks
    Mange

Their where two 33’ Apaches . The first one was a narrow beam I designed along with borrowed Nick Chapman and sons ( Don’s carpenters) in 1978. That original 33’ Apache mold is now owned and being used by Concept Powerboats in Miami. The second 33’ hull mold was purchased from Aronow. This 33’ was a shorten version of the original 36’ - 9 ½' beam Cigarette race boat. After the purchase, Apache Powerboats manufactured it manly as a center console..

The 36' Apache was built out of the 41' Apache mold..

20. Collapse Details

Hi Bob