Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Stupid Boat Ramp Stories
    I'm sure most of you have heard the old story about the brand new 22' Bayliner that would not plane off,and when the marina checked it out,they discovered it was still strappped to the trailer I always thought this was just a blond joke until yesterday on the Neal Borst talk show he told it as a true story. So I went to Snopes,they said that according to a Bayliner engineer,it actually happened. What's the deal,really happened,or urban legend? PS,I must be bored,come on Spring

2. Collapse Details

I didn't do it, and I never owned a Bayliner. From what I've seen a launch ramps and local lakes, I'd be inclined to believe it, though...

I did leave the drain plug out of my first boat. Once, and only once....

3. Collapse Details

I backed a boat in the water with tie down straps still on, couldn't figure out why the back end sat so low in the water.
    Run until it sounds expensive

4. Collapse Details

Not sure about the Bayliner story but one of my relatives is a LEO who used to patrol a local lake and she has seen boats underway with trailers strapped to them before.

5. Collapse Details

When is comes to stupid people at the boat ramp..........I dought nothing!!!

But I too have left the plug out a time...............or two! But I was distracted!! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hulagirlt.gif 
Views:	582 
Size:	32.7 KB 
ID:	13975Click image for larger version. 

ID:	13975Click image for larger version. 

ID:	13975
    Taking Over the World One Thread at a Time
    The Penguin Cometh

6. Collapse Details

Launched a new pontoon boat a few years ago,kept trying to back away from the dock,the more I turned away from the dock,the harder it kept hitting the dock. Finally realized the builder had the hydraulic steering hoses backwards.Sure was fun driving 5 miles to my boathouse for the tools to fix it. Maybe this thread should be called "Stupid Ramp Stories"

7. Collapse Details

I did leave the drain plug out of my first boat. Once, and only once....[/QUOTE]

Every good boater does it once. I did. Now I got spare drains plugs everywhere. I got a plastic one on the key chain as a reminder.

The good once.
    Some...? more often.

Dock stories would be a good thread.. I got some classics.
    Life is: what happens... when you plan something else.

8. Collapse Details

In 1987 I had a Jeep Grand Waggoneer,worst car I ever owned. Had constant electrical problems,many times at nite the headlites would go out,but the worst was the wipers would hardly ever work when it rained. One day I backed an 18'Donzi down the ramp,put Jeep in park,got out to unhook the boat. As I stepped out it somehow came out of park and slowly rolled into the water.Fortunately the boat floated free. I watched as the Jeep began the sink,and just before it went under,the wipers came on

9. Collapse Details

registered
    Quote Originally Posted by C_Spray View Post
    I didn't do it, and I never owned a Bayliner. From what I've seen a launch ramps and local lakes, I'd be inclined to believe it, though...

I did leave the drain plug out of my first boat. Once, and only once....
    Me too!!

Quote Originally Posted by BBB725 View Post
    I backed a boat in the water with tie down straps still on, couldn't figure out why the back end sat so low in the water.
    Me too!! I kept thing WTF, let me just back it down again and slam on the brakes. Didn't work!

10. Collapse Details

If you claim to have never forgotten to install the drain plug, then you are a liar! We have ALL done it at least once!
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by clayinaustin View Post
    If you claim to have never forgotten to install the drain plug, then you are a liar! We have ALL done it at least once!
    Actually, in total honesty I never have forgotten with any of the boats that Ive owned.

BUT! When I was a kid I do recall getting halfway across the lake in Dads fishing boat when my ankles started to get wet. Perhaps thats why I have never forgotten.

12. Collapse Details

registered
    After all I've seen, I have no problem at all believing any of these stories.
    Pics would be great, though!

13. Collapse Details

14. Collapse Details

I have never forgotten a drain plug. I have attempted to leave the dock with one stern line still tied once. Nothing you can do in that situation but announce:

"Ok... looks like she is shifting fine now... let's cast off that last line and head out."

15. Collapse Details

Best dock story. We do need a dock story thread.
    Little background.
    My cousin. 1.5 - 2 Years younger. We both are very competative.
    Same highschool for a while. Wayne, had no athletic ability, yet I was the soccer star. in the early 70's. I buy a 10 speed bike, he does. I buy a 16' speed boat he does. I buy a hot rod Nova SS, he buys a Chevelle, and on and on. 1978. He has a 16 ski/speed boat, Baja with 100 Johnson. I got a 16'- Hustler with 115 Evinrude. Going skiing, chicks etc. on the Rock river.
    I drop the boat and wait for him. He's driving a year old Merc. Couger XR7. dumps his boat in the water, boat floats away, He runs to get it, Car stil in reverse or neutral. I'm idleing and put-puting 50' away, waiting to get going.
    Laughing so hard, almost fell out of my boat. His boat slowely backs out to the middle of the river so I go get it and looking at the nice Couger XR7 backing into the river, disappearing. All you can see from the practically new car is the tip of the antenna. He's on the dock wth his jaw on his tows.
    I crack up everytime I think of him.
    I often wondered how on earth he explaind it to the insurnce Co.

16. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by clayinaustin View Post
    I've never left a drain plug out as I rarely take them out unless I am washing out my bilge and I reinstall them immediately. I have tried to launch with the transom straps still attached. And then there was the time my wife was putting the boat on the trailer and goosed it with the wheel cranked to starboard and folded the bow roller stanchion over like a pretzel. I just waved at her and yelled, "that's close enough", attached the strap which was now low and to the left, and drove up the ramp like that's how we do it every time!

I've also pulled up to the dock by myself, tossed the bow line off, tossed the stern line off, got out of the boat, and then wondered why it was still moving backwards. Neutral...yeah, neutral would be good about now!!!

17. Collapse Details

Worldwide - Blue Martini Hall of Fame - Your sisters house
    Quote Originally Posted by Magicfloat View Post
    In 1987 I had a Jeep Grand Waggoneer,worst car I ever owned. Had constant electrical problems,many times at nite the headlites would go out,but the worst was the wipers would hardly ever work when it rained. One day I backed an 18'Donzi down the ramp,put Jeep in park,got out to unhook the boat. As I stepped out it somehow came out of park and slowly rolled into the water.Fortunately the boat floated free. I watched as the Jeep began the sink,and just before it went under,the wipers came on
    Yeah, slipping out of park happens here in Jersey alot too

18. Collapse Details

true true true my naighbor picks up an old try hull and fixes her up new seats ,new carpet ect .........I'm at the ramp with my own boat allready in the water when he shows up for the first voyage but he can't get loose of the trailer,he backs in and out two or three time but it wiil not move.we tryed to rock it on the trailer and nothing ........(this took place in 1984my secound boat and his first) all the straps are off and still stuck ........noing my neighbor is no wiz kid I ask how long of screws did you us to hold the seats down....he gesture's about three and half inch's..............yep wood bunks tri hull screwed right to the trailer
    beer is food

19. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Magicfloat View Post
    probably happy to see it go, yes?
    People we meet in life are either a Blessing or a Lesson

20. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jet View Post
    true true true my naighbor picks up an old try hull and fixes her up new seats ,new carpet ect .........I'm at the ramp with my own boat allready in the water when he shows up for the first voyage but he can't get loose of the trailer,he backs in and out two or three time but it wiil not move.we tryed to rock it on the trailer and nothing ........(this took place in 1984my secound boat and his first) all the straps are off and still stuck ........noing my neighbor is no wiz kid I ask how long of screws did you us to hold the seats down....he gesture's about three and half inch's..............yep wood bunks tri hull screwed right to the trailer
    Classic. One way to make sure the boat is "firmly tied" to the trailer.