Thread: Lake Erie today

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

That's a bummer for those wanting to attend Halloween at Kelley's.
    Queen of Bammin'

2. Collapse Details

Should have done halleen at kramerica!
    35 Cigarette Mistress

3. Collapse Details

Technically Halloween isn't until next weekend.......we'll be in Indianapolis next weekend.
    Queen of Bammin'

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefApache View Post
    Technically Halloween isn't until next weekend.......we'll be in Indianapolis next weekend.
    I will be out at Brennans Sunday, you guys going to be around? I can highjack this thead...it's yours!
    35 Cigarette Mistress

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by FULL FORCE View Post
    I will be out at Brennans Sunday, you guys going to be around? I can highjack this thead...it's yours!
    You can hijack this thread, that's what they're for LOL!

Brennan's the restaurant?? I think you mentioned that on the phone the other night, right?

We have no plans at all this weekend except tonight. That's always subject to change of course.

Rob wants to work on getting the boat winterized sometime this weekend. We'll see if that works out with the weather they're predicting.
    Queen of Bammin'

6. Collapse Details

You can hijack this thread, that's what they're for LOL!

Brennan's the restaurant?? I think you mentioned that on the phone the other night, right?

We have no plans at all this weekend except tonight. That's always subject to change of course.

Rob wants to work on getting the boat winterized sometime this weekend. We'll see if that works out with the weather they're predicting.
    brennans restraunt, boss is having company clam bake there, I wills ee if I have time to stop by after if you guys are around, I will call ya.
    35 Cigarette Mistress

7. Collapse Details

I have a picture in my office here of waves crashing over the Fairport lighthouse just to keep reminding me of bad that was. I also have a News Herald photo of a freighter getting its A## kicked.

Its funny how people have no clue about Lake Erie. I just remember all the days I headed to Beaver only to end up waxing the boat because you could not go out. And you can't have a big enough boat either.

Carl

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by underpressure View Post
    I have a picture in my office here of waves crashing over the Fairport lighthouse just to keep reminding me of bad that was. I also have a News Herald photo of a freighter getting its A## kicked.

Its funny how people have no clue about Lake Erie. I just remember all the days I headed to Beaver only to end up waxing the boat because you could not go out. And you can't have a big enough boat either.

Carl
    Your words are so true Carl! People who have never boated on the Great Lakes really have no idea how bad it can really get. They have sank so many great ships, and BIG ships. What does that tell you?

I love to sit and watch the lake on days when the waves are 8' and higher. It's amazing how powerful and how beautiful it is all at the same time.
    Queen of Bammin'

9. Collapse Details

Your words are so true Carl! People who have never boated on the Great Lakes really have no idea how bad it can really get. They have sank so many great ships, and BIG ships. What does that tell you?

I love to sit and watch the lake on days when the waves are 8' and higher. It's amazing how powerful and how beautiful it is all at the same time.
    I love seeing the lake tore up too! I told sarah to bring her camera tomorrow, it is supposed to be 10-14 footers!
    35 Cigarette Mistress

10. Collapse Details

Having spent 42 years within 10 miles of the western basin.... I have spent a great deal of time thinking about this lake. I think that because the shape follows the path of the jet stream and the western end being the shallow end of the saucer... this lake can absorb a tremdous amount of energy... sometimes three and four times as many waves in a given space as other lakes. The sets on Erie are so close in spacing/duration and steep in wave height... it maximizes energy release.

An example: a guy in my yacht club was out in a twin inboard 30 foot cruiser in 10 feet of water. Lake started to whip up so he decided to ride it out on anchor in 10 feet. 2 footers became steep 8 footers. The lake picked him up with one and dropped him in the trough, now not 8 feet deep no more.... crushed the running gear underneath, disabling the boat and breaking the shaft seals. Now he is sinking and running aground at the same time.

This lake breaks boats. Good boats.

Makes a person buy a trawler or an apache.
    Warning: This post may contain language unsuitable for minors or math not suitable for liberal-arts majors.

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by fund razor View Post
    Having spent 42 years within 10 miles of the western basin.... I have spent a great deal of time thinking about this lake. I think that because the shape follows the path of the jet stream and the western end being the shallow end of the saucer... this lake can absorb a tremdous amount of energy... sometimes three and four times as many waves in a given space as other lakes. The sets on Erie are so close in spacing/duration and steep in wave height... it maximizes energy release.

An example: a guy in my yacht club was out in a twin inboard 30 foot cruiser in 10 feet of water. Lake started to whip up so he decided to ride it out on anchor in 10 feet. 2 footers became steep 8 footers. The lake picked him up with one and dropped him in the trough, now not 8 feet deep no more.... crushed the running gear underneath, disabling the boat and breaking the shaft seals. Now he is sinking and running aground at the same time.

This lake breaks boats. Good boats.

Makes a person buy a trawler or an apache.

I can remember coming back from put in bay with my dad in his 38 bertam and seeing bottom between the swells, pretty scary especially when the old man was running 55 or so...........

12. Collapse Details

the west end is getting really shallow today.... the wind is blowing..water was down 3' this morning when I went to work
    P-4077 "The Swamp" S.B.Y.C. and Michigan medboat mothership

13. Collapse Details

Thats why we say Erie has square waves, 6 ft high and 6 ft apart, makes for rough boating, and to think i used to run my 24 footer in 3-5's alot to kelleys, once I did it in 4-6's just took it slow! had no choice, i had to get home for work the next day!
    35 Cigarette Mistress

14. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by FULL FORCE View Post
    Thats why we say Erie has square waves, 6 ft high and 6 ft apart, makes for rough boating, and to think i used to run my 24 footer in 3-5's alot to kelleys, once I did it in 4-6's just took it slow! had no choice, i had to get home for work the next day!
    Love that lake. Its always funny to see a left coast boat out there............... especially the eliminator cats. There are countles times that we were at the islands and woke up to a stiff north-east wind. Thats always when your happy you a have a big heavy deep V......... I will never forget scarying the s**t out of some ohio river boaters when they sea trialed our 35' mistress. Sandusky bay had 3' on it. We start heading out the channel and they start growing. We were jumping from one wave to the next. That boat was running like a thourghobread. Finally I turned the boat around for safety. It was Gnarly! Came back in a following see. Each wave I was cringing & hoping we wouldnt stuff. And Yes., I had tabs up and drives out to keap that nose up. We needed alot more real estate in length to make that ride calming..............
    Jr.

15. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by J-Bonz View Post
    Love that lake. Its always funny to see a left coast boat out there............... especially the eliminator cats. There are countles times that we were at the islands and woke up to a stiff north-east wind. Thats always when your happy you a have a big heavy deep V......... I will never forget scarying the s**t out of some ohio river boaters when they sea trialed our 35' mistress. Sandusky bay had 3' on it. We start heading out the channel and they start growing. We were jumping from one wave to the next. That boat was running like a thourghobread. Finally I turned the boat around for safety. It was Gnarly! Came back in a following see. Each wave I was cringing & hoping we wouldnt stuff. And Yes., I had tabs up and drives out to keap that nose up. We needed alot more real estate in length to make that ride calming..............
    Jr.
    I hear ya, we headed over to Kelleys a few times in Scotts 311 in some water that nobody else would, one time we headed out of the bay, saw some big azz rollers...stopped... thought should we? Scott said get the jackets on just in case, even the booze cruise was turning around...yea... we got there guys night out!!
    35 Cigarette Mistress

16. Collapse Details

Not happy again today. Gale force wind warning with 9-12's through tomorrow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails camera1.1.jpg  
    Queen of Bammin'

17. Collapse Details

ran from toledo beach down to point place in the nova once, serious 5-6 footers (not an exageration, stopped to take a leak and the waves were as high as my head standing in the boat)(I did try getting on top or at least doubling a couple waves, but I figured I was going to go swimming soon) directly following. trimmed it up and ran about 35 or so..just fast enough not to launch but only really had the drives in coming down the waves. better than anything at cedar point! light rain but I threw so much water splashing around I was soaked when I got to the dock, so soaked averything in my wallet was waterlogged. a 41 apache with big motors could have really got the pucker factor going that day :P
    P-4077 "The Swamp" S.B.Y.C. and Michigan medboat mothership

18. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by phragle View Post
    ran from toledo beach down to point place in the nova once, serious 5-6 footers (not an exageration, stopped to take a leak and the waves were as high as my head standing in the boat)(I did try getting on top or at least doubling a couple waves, but I figured I was going to go swimming soon) directly following. trimmed it up and ran about 35 or so..just fast enough not to launch but only really had the drives in coming down the waves. better than anything at cedar point! light rain but I threw so much water splashing around I was soaked when I got to the dock, so soaked averything in my wallet was waterlogged. a 41 apache with big motors could have really got the pucker factor going that day :P
    Did the same thing from Sterling State Park to Bay View once. In a 26 foot Wellcraft 260 aft cabin. 6-8 footers directly following. All I could think was.... don't stall.... don't stall.... don't stall....
    Warning: This post may contain language unsuitable for minors or math not suitable for liberal-arts majors.

19. Collapse Details

I can't tell you how many times in rough water I'm praying please motors don't die...please motors don't die........I haven't done that except once this year when the motors were cutting off when we were in a following sea. We discovered we had a ground issue.
    Queen of Bammin'

20. Collapse Details

We made a trip back from Detroit to West Harbor one Sunday morning in 6 to 8's. 3 blade cleavers and a full load of fuel the boat woulnt plane. We broke loose several times and started sliping backwards in the trough only to be blasted foreward by the following sea. Thats a chitty feeling in a 28 Cig, the bilge pumps ran the whole trip and one of my passengers bled like a stuck pig for most of the trip after taking a bite out of a grab rail.

COM"ON YOU SON OF A *****!