Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Dually Question/Opinion
    I have been considering a 06 RAM 3500 DRW with the 5.9 Cummins. I had a 06 2500 w/5.9. I loved the way it pulled my 28 Warlock. Here is the question. I did not think the ride was that much different from my 2500 than my current 08 1500 HEMI RAM (I did not want to buy a new truck with the 6.7) How are duallys as a daily driver? I really don't want to pull the boat this summer with my curent truck. It pulls it but I was much more comfortable in my 2500. Thanks in advance
    Jason

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Warlock28SXT View Post
    I have been considering a 06 RAM 3500 DRW with the 5.9 Cummins. I had a 06 2500 w/5.9. I loved the way it pulled my 28 Warlock. Here is the question. I did not think the ride was that much different from my 2500 than my current 08 1500 HEMI RAM (I did not want to buy a new truck with the 6.7) How are duallys as a daily driver? I really don't want to pull the boat this summer with my curent truck. It pulls it but I was much more comfortable in my 2500. Thanks in advance
    Jason
    A powerboat owner should always own an extra dually just for pulling the boat. Buy a nice one and use it for just the boat, and it will be the last one you ever buy.

Now to the question at hand. It depends on where you live. If you have to go into the city, drivethroughs, toll booths, anywhere that women park, malls, restrunts. You will never get to park close to the door ever again. Mileage sucks, They ride like cadilacs on the freeway, but speedbumps will spill your beer. I guess you can get used to it. I drive mine everyonce in a while for errands and such, but it gets old after a while, and I go back to my 1500 that is my work truck. It is just less hassle, but driving a dually is still driving a dually, and they are almost the king of the road.

2004&2005 were the best years for the Dodge 3500 truck. Just hard to find them with low miles. In 04 the HO engine came out late in the year. In 05 it ran all year. Those are the ones to buy. Stay away from the transition year 2003, and for some reasons the new ones just don't seem to have a good reputation. Something to do with the new diesel and the emision crap that they put on them.

Good choice going with the cummins though.

3. Collapse Details

Jason
    I have a 2006 dually. The ride really sucks unless you put airbags on it, which I have done. My wife hates to ride in it. My truck is for sale with only 59,000 miles on it. It is set up to tow heavy but I only towed one car trailers with it. PM me for more information if you're interested.

4. Collapse Details

Thanks for the reply jeff, but I currently can't afford one of each, soon I hope. I'm not real worried about spilling my beer over a speed bump. A little JD in a coke bottle. It's like a sippie cup for big kids. The store thing is not really a factor if we have to run errands we take my fiances car. I have been looking for an 06 w5.9 like my old 2500 because I have the edge juice with attitude and a cold air kit for it. I know it sounds funny/cheap but I can come home install it w/no waiting. I hate ordering stuff and waiting for it to arrive. I got 20 MPG in my 2500 and about 14 MPG in my HEMI truck. If I got about then same as now I'd be fine with that with all the extra power/towing. I drive about 50/50 highway/city and just was wondering if I'm gonna have my teeth rattled out of my head.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by catmando View Post
    I have a 2006 dually. The ride really sucks unless you put airbags on it, which I have done. My wife hates to ride in it. My truck is for sale with only 59,000 miles on it. It is set up to tow heavy but I only towed one car trailers with it. PM me for more information if you're interested.
    Well that's not what I wanted to hear "the ride really sucks" I'll keep you in mind about your truck. Why are you selling it?

6. Collapse Details

Well that's not what I wanted to hear "the ride really sucks" I'll keep you in mind about your truck. Why are you selling it?
    Well duallys have more leafs and heavier spring rates than 2500s, just a fact of what they're designed to do, plus the two extra tires don't help ride quality either. The bags do help somewhat if you keep them over 10psi.

I'm retired from the road. I'm 65 years old, plus my wife doesn't want me out there now.

Truck is in great shape except for some minor damage to the right rear fender where some jerkoff did a hit and run last year. I like to keep my stuff looking good.

7. Collapse Details

My truck gets 21-22mpg@64mph(2000rpms) and 19-20@70. I'm using Opti-Lube fuel and oil additive which has raised my mileage 3 mpg.

The ride is acceptable for guys but most women don't like to ride in a dually. I have P235/80R17 Michelin LTX M&S tires on stock wheels. They ride real nice and are quiet. Rated to 80,000 miles, I have about 15,000 on them now.

8. Collapse Details

Cat, I would never really want my dually as my daily driver for the reasons outlined above and they don't fit through the carwash. I keep an older low mileage dually in my warehouse just for pulling my boat. They can be bought for a song today and the small amount of mileage per year doesn't wear them out. Concept works well for me. Good luck - Jeff
    People we meet in life are either a Blessing or a Lesson

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by old377guy View Post
    Cat, I would never really want my dually as my daily driver for the reasons outlined above and they don't fit through the carwash. I keep an older low mileage dually in my warehouse just for pulling my boat. They can be bought for a song today and the small amount of mileage per year doesn't wear them out. Concept works well for me. Good luck - Jeff
    There's a car wash near me that's wide enough but it costs twice as much as the wand-and-brush DIY wash I use. All I do after that is give the wheels and tires some extra love and it looks great. Oh and ShamWow too.

My truck is set up for heavy-duty towing and I just don't need it any more now that I'm off the road and boatless too. If I can't sell it by the time the 2010 models come out I'll trade for the new Dodge 1500 diesel.

10. Collapse Details

Thanks for the replys guys. Maybe I should consider a 2500 5.9 again my boat is only about 8000lbs on the trailer(tri-axel steel). I was looking @ duallys yes for the extra comfort in towing ability and they look sweet, but if the ride is crap I may be better off with a 2500. Thanks again Jason

11. Collapse Details

I guess I'm in the minority, I just traded in my 06 F350 4x4 dually in and I loved it, (my accountant told me I needed to trade), the ride was kinda stiff with the 19.5 Michelin/Brentz wheels conversion but I bought a shortbed crew cab so parking, daily use wasn't an issue, this was my daily driver, and I'd do it again,,,the biggest thing you learn is to back in parking, it makes life alot easier.

12. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Slick02 View Post
    I guess I'm in the minority, I just traded in my 06 F350 4x4 dually in and I loved it, (my accountant told me I needed to trade), the ride was kinda stiff with the 19.5 Michelin/Brentz wheels conversion but I bought a shortbed crew cab so parking, daily use wasn't an issue, this was my daily driver, and I'd do it again,,,the biggest thing you learn is to back in parking, it makes life alot easier.
    I guess the biggest thing is that have never been in one. I loved my 2500 a bit stiff but fine in my book. I am mainly the only one in it. With the exception of going to the lake or up north with the sleds. I really need to drive/ride in one to see for myself. I can give up a bit of ride quality for ability.

13. Collapse Details

I drive a dually every day. I took one of tha long leafs out of the packs and added airbags to make up for it. No complaints from me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cap.jpg  

14. Collapse Details

Why not a 3500 SRW? It has more towing capacity on paper and you still can get through the drive through.

I'm going through the same issue as you at the moment whether to go from the SRW to a DRW or get a newer less miles driven on it SRW.

15. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MattBMiller View Post
    I drive a dually every day. I took one of tha long leafs out of the packs and added airbags to make up for it. No complaints from me.
    Good idea that's what I like to hear. Nice truck

16. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by baywatch View Post
    Why not a 3500 SRW? It has more towing capacity on paper and you still can get through the drive through.

I'm going through the same issue as you at the moment whether to go from the SRW to a DRW or get a newer less miles driven on it SRW.
    Seeing as I am unsure when you figure it out let me know I thought about the SRW but if I'm going to a 1 ton I like the look of a dually. If I stop for fast food maybe walking in will counter act the crap I'm about to eat

17. Collapse Details

I like my Chevy 3500 srw. Pulls the Top Gun well too. I put Bags on it and seems to work. O and a LOUD azz horn too!!!

18. Collapse Details

Drive an 05 F350 4x4 drw every day, it is my second, won't ever be without. Speed bumps are a little rough..but i have been driving a drw everyday since 01, wife has a srw 2500 4x4 dodge, i don't notice much diference between the two. Wife doesn't mind driving mine, she just doesn't like the wide finders, so she parks in the back 40, never says anything about the ride. Heck they are trucks, they ride like trucks should...though if you add just a bit of weight they both ride better. You could always added water to the bed when empty and it will ride really nice, they make a thing that goes in there for that very reason... I don't have anything in mine..I will always have a 1 ton drw around the house, and never hesitate to drive it.

19. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by ZBODaytona View Post
    Drive an 05 F350 4x4 drw every day, it is my second, won't ever be without. Speed bumps are a little rough..but i have been driving a drw everyday since 01, wife has a srw 2500 4x4 dodge, i don't notice much diference between the two. Wife doesn't mind driving mine, she just doesn't like the wide finders, so she parks in the back 40, never says anything about the ride. Heck they are trucks, they ride like trucks should...though if you add just a bit of weight they both ride better. You could always added water to the bed when empty and it will ride really nice, they make a thing that goes in there for that very reason... I don't have anything in mine..I will always have a 1 ton drw around the house, and never hesitate to drive it.
    That's a great comparison. I was wondering the diff between a 25 & 3500. If it's similar to my old 2500 I'm fine with that. I figured it would be more firm, just not a night and day difference between the two.

20. Collapse Details

I daily drive my F350 dually with the loud ass 7.3 and a 6 speed Manual and love it (although I did make sure I got the lariat package). You get used to drive thrus and parking lots REAL quickly. Hell my wife and I use it when we travel despite the fact that we have an XJR jaguar sitting in the driveway - the dually is just EASY if you ask me, and I don't have to worry about putting mileage on it.

The only reason I woudl get rid of it was if I bought a bigger boat - then I would would think it time for a more "dedicated" tow vehicle (F-650, Topkick, OTR truck) and a little beater to go back and forth to work in.