Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Warlock28SXT View Post
    Seeing as I am unsure when you figure it out let me know I thought about the SRW but if I'm going to a 1 ton I like the look of a dually. If I stop for fast food maybe walking in will counter act the crap I'm about to eat
    I have no problem going through a drive through. The mirrors are wider than the fenders.....

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MattBMiller View Post
    I have no problem going through a drive through. The mirrors are wider than the fenders.....
    Good to know I had/have the towing mirrors on both trucks.

3. Collapse Details

Best thing is to go to your local Dodge dealer and drive one. I was looking to buy a 4500, drove one and it rode better than my 3500. Matt is right, take a leaf out and install bags and you will see the ride improve tremendously. The water bladder in the bed is a good idea too. Duallys like weight back there.

4. Collapse Details

I came from a 2006 F-250 King Ranch with air bags and all the goodies to my F-450.My 450 is my daily driver,it does ride a little stiff but it doesn't bother me.One thing that I love is the ride quality when pulling my Fountain.It never seems to be under any load.The 450 also turns sharper than my 250.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 105.JPG  

5. Collapse Details

Seeing as I am unsure when you figure it out let me know I thought about the SRW but if I'm going to a 1 ton I like the look of a dually. If I stop for fast food maybe walking in will counter act the crap I'm about to eat
    That is funny, maybe I should go DRW for some extra exercise as well.

I should make up my mind by the end February. The current SRW 3500 I use tows fine and is fine around town but when shopping there is virtually zero price difference between the SRW and DRW, so that why I was thinking maybe I should take the leap to the DRW.

Keep us updated on what you end up with as well.

-Josh

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MattBMiller View Post
    I have not found a drive-thru I couldn't drive through. Dodge duallys make great daily drivers. They are fast, easy to drive, the steering input is very quick, and mine has a U turn radius almost as tight as my Ranger Supercab's. When I park I like to take up at least two spaces, preferably four lol.

7. Collapse Details

Thanks guys for the input. I do believe I will stop in at a dealer and take one for a ride. It's good to hear all the positives which pretty much solidifies my thoughts. I'll let you know If when I find what I'm looking for. Thanks again
    Jason

8. Collapse Details

One other point that you should consider. If(and everyone says never will) the need arises that you want a bigger boat. You will have enough truck, and you wont be out shopping for a truck again.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Beak Boater View Post
    One other point that you should consider. If(and everyone says never will) the need arises that you want a bigger boat. You will have enough truck, and you wont be out shopping for a truck again.
    Good point. One more reason to go with a dually. Thanks

10. Collapse Details

Dodge has what they call a MegaCab SWB dually, maybe you should test drive one for a day or so, I personally liked the SWB as a daily driver, it had a decent turning radius and would fit into a parking place without hanging out into the middle of the lot unlike the longbed trucks and if your only going to tow on a partime basis, I see no reason for the eight foot bed(unless your planning on hauling alot of plywood etc). And I have had mine hung up in the drive through at the local bank right after I bought it, truck was to wide and I had both outside wheels up over the curb.

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Slick02 View Post
    Dodge has what they call a MegaCab SWB dually, maybe you should test drive one for a day or so, I personally liked the SWB as a daily driver, it had a decent turning radius and would fit into a parking place without hanging out into the middle of the lot unlike the longbed trucks and if your only going to tow on a partime basis, I see no reason for the eight foot bed(unless your planning on hauling alot of plywood etc). And I have had mine hung up in the drive through at the local bank right after I bought it, truck was to wide and I had both outside wheels up over the curb.
    Is the MegaCab SWB just about as long as a LWB Crew Cab? The short box is 6'6" going to an 8' box being only 18" longer. The MegaCab is huge and I really don't have a need for that much cab space. The 8' box would be alright for snowmobiles my banshee and yes lumber at times. That is just what I was thinking. I have not had an issue with the short box with the above mentioned, but 18" more room back there couldnt hurt I guess. Thanks for a different angle to look at though. Good stuff here guys.

12. Collapse Details

I know that with me being the resident tow nazi, this will sound funny coming from me... If you're not planning on going up much from the 8500 lb load you're towing anytime in the near future, I'd forget the dually.

I tow weights in that range all the time with an Excursion. It's got F250 springs, airbags, good shocks, dual swaybars and a steering damper. I can tow like that load isn't even back there. And when I'm done, it rides better an average 1/2 ton pickup. I can load it full of stuff in the back or I can stick seven of my friends in it comfortably.

If you were shopping for Top Guns, the dually would be a great idea. For what you have, why put up with the hassle? I'll give you this- the duals will give you more stability in a panic maneuver and you won't get tugged around in 30MPH crosswinds, but how often is it that windy?

13. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I know that with me being the resident tow nazi, this will sound funny coming from me... If you're not planning on going up much from the 8500 lb load you're towing anytime in the near future, I'd forget the dually.

I tow weights in that range all the time with an Excursion. It's got F250 springs, airbags, good shocks, dual swaybars and a steering damper. I can tow like that load isn't even back there. And when I'm done, it rides better an average 1/2 ton pickup. I can load it full of stuff in the back or I can stick seven of my friends in it comfortably.

If you were shopping for Top Guns, the dually would be a great idea. For what you have, why put up with the hassle? I'll give you this- the duals will give you more stability in a panic maneuver and you won't get tugged around in 30MPH crosswinds, but how often is it that windy?
    Another good point. I could beef up my current truck. I'd say about 90% of the time I'm just driving the truck. I'm in sales so I'm always driving somewhere. Towing the other 10% boat and snowmobiles. Snowmobiles are not an issue just something to tow. I had thought of moving to a 35 Fountain, but I like what I have so I plan on keeping it for a while. I boat mostly locally so I'm not towing far ~30miles with the occational ~60 mile trip. Oh what to do? I do appreciate the comments. I'm getting a better feel for the dually avenue. It might be too much truck for what I really need. Maybe I should consider going back to a 2500 w/5.9 cummis. Kind of a meeting in the middle. More capable than the current truck yet not the ride or size issues of the dually. I'll have to weigh the pros and cons and see what happens. Thanks Jason

14. Collapse Details

I drove an 07 Dodge dually and I thought it rode ok I would have bought it but we could not get together on price.I ended up buying a GMC 3500 dually
    its no big deal driving around but I am in an 4300 International with a 26 ft box all day so a dually is a toy.It is overkill for the boat I have now but I want to go bigger and only want to do this once.You have to go drive on they are nice but I liked the GMC a little better and the deal was to good to pass

15. Collapse Details

Ya can never have to much truck, cause ya never know when your gonna get the itch for a bigger boat.
    And the Megacab swb is still shorter than the crewcab lwb,,,the only thing I had against the Megacab swb I looked at was that it had the most BUTT UGLY rear fenders in existence, they looked like someone designed and built a truck and then said,,,oh we forgot to put rear fenders on it,,what can we do,,,CHEAPLY. lol

16. Collapse Details

Another good point. I could beef up my current truck. I'd say about 90% of the time I'm just driving the truck. I'm in sales so I'm always driving somewhere. Towing the other 10% boat and snowmobiles. Snowmobiles are not an issue just something to tow. I had thought of moving to a 35 Fountain, but I like what I have so I plan on keeping it for a while. I boat mostly locally so I'm not towing far ~30miles with the occational ~60 mile trip. Oh what to do? I do appreciate the comments. I'm getting a better feel for the dually avenue. It might be too much truck for what I really need. Maybe I should consider going back to a 2500 w/5.9 cummis. Kind of a meeting in the middle. More capable than the current truck yet not the ride or size issues of the dually. I'll have to weigh the pros and cons and see what happens. Thanks Jason
    I suggest trading up to a Dodge 2500. You'll get 4-5mpg better towing your boat and 23-24mpg in your sales job. If you buy that Fountain it will still tow it fine.

17. Collapse Details

I've got a 07 Mega-cab 3500. The wheel base is the same on the Mega and the crew cab. They use the same frame one just has more cab and less bed than the other.
    Mark Shackelford
    2009 President
    Richmond Powerboat Association

18. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jeff1000man View Post
    A powerboat owner should always own an extra dually just for pulling the boat. Buy a nice one and use it for just the boat, and it will be the last one you ever buy.
    what he said.
    living proof.My pal MM 1980 GMC dually.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 14.jpg  

19. Collapse Details

I use this truck all year. 05' Dodge and I can't complain about anything. It's been great towing, pushing and everyday driving.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0309081140 (2).jpg  

20. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Dan The Man View Post
    I use this truck all year. 05' Dodge and I can't complain about anything. It's been great towing, pushing and everyday driving.
    Whats all that white stuff??