1. Collapse Details
    Info Thread / Roll Call for January 31 / 09 Fun Run to Naples Bay Resort
    Jan. 31, 2009 Fun Run to Naples Bay Resort, Naples, FL Run has been changed to Sunday Feb 1st. See post # 9 below

Welcome to our 4th fun run of the season. We will assemble at the south side of the Sanibel Bridge departing for Naples at 11:00 AM. We have an exciting new destination, the Yacht Club at Naples Bay Resort. The Yacht Club is a private, however FMO, Inc. secretary, Tom Cullen has arranged for our group to be his guest. Thank you Tom (SO megabyte*3).

If you are able to join us, please post up here on SO on either this thread or e mail me at bobthebuilder(at)rogers.blackberry.net. Also since we are now formally a Club, and this is a sanctioned club event we ask that you complete your membership application by going to www.ftmyersoffshore.org and download the membership form if you have not already done so. You may either mail it in or submit at our lunch at Naples Bay Resort.
    If your boat is down for service or repair and you feel like driving to NBR and joining us for lunch, Club members are most welcome to do so. Remember a social membership is only $35.00 and boaters membership is $60 and covers the family. It is always very social and a good time. Please let me know as the Yacht Club at NBR is asking for a head count. The address is: 1500 5th Ave; South, Naples.

This run is a designated fund raising event: FMO is committed to 2 fund raising events per year with the others being “no charge”. We are asking for a “donation” of $50 to $100 per boat at the Captain’s discretion. As a donation, you will be eligible for a tax receipt which will be issued in due coarse. Donations will be collected at the lunch stop. ( Please note that 2008 tax receipts will be e mailed out to everyone by the end of Jan. 2009 )

Route: From the Sanibel Bridge we will run straight shot south for Naples and into Naples Bay via Gordon Pass. While we will spread out on the Gulf, we will need to run single file on Naples Bay. Some areas of the Bay will be idle zone and some will be 30 MPH.
    Note to Marco and Naples boats. You are welcome to join me for the run up to the Sanibel Bridge to meet the main group of boats. I will leave Marco at 10 am and pass by Gordon Pass at 10:10 AM on the way north.

Lunch:The Yacht Club is putting on a great lunch buffet in a club room for our exclusive use. Cost is $26.00 per person, and includes 3 entree’s, salads, ice tea / lemonade and desert. Payable directly to the NBR on arrival.

50 / 50 draw: At lunch we will be selling raffle tickets. 100 % of the proceeds will go into the FMO scholarship fund. In October, Ben and Carrie Payne won enough to fill the gas tank on their boat! Our winner at the New Years Day run was Don & Amanda Gardiner where they took home $400.00
    Support your Club, and the good work we are trying to do.

After Lunch: While the officially sanctioned run ends at Naples Bay Resort, a number of boats will likely go over to the beach at Keewaydin Island after lunch. All are welcome.

Fuel / Distance: From the Sanibel Bridge to Gordon Pass it is about 30 miles each way. It is about another 8 miles up the Bay to Naples Bay Resort. If going down to Keewaydin Island is in your plans, that is about 15 miles south of NBR.
    Most vessels will have sufficient range for this run if they are full of fuel at the start.

Communications: Inter boat communication to be on VHF channel 72. Also My cell is 239-776-0481. Anyone dropping out after the start should let me know so we do not spend time waiting or looking for you. Leave a voice mail if no answer.

Pictures: Jay (SO / FMO Jayboat) will be aboard Team PREDATOR, so make sure you come alongside for some great running shots of your boat as we head south to Naples. They will be posted on the forum and website, after the run.
    In addition it is my understanding that Freeze Frame Photography will again be shooting this run from the helicopter.

Tide Info:

Cape Coral ( Bridge): HT- 5:54 AM; LT- 12:38 PM; HT- 6:07 PM
    Sanibel Bridge: LT- 9:20 AM; HT- 3:59 PM
    Naples Bay (north end) : LT- 9:49 AM; HT- 3:47 PM
    Marco Island: LT- 9:52 AM; HT- 4:00 PM

Waypoints:

Sanibel Bridge: N 26 29 00; W 82 00 88

Naples (Gordon Pass): N 26 05 50; W 81 48 67

Weather / Sea Conditions: To be posted 5 days prior to the event and updated daily. Referencing:

NOAA Weather: http://forecast.weather.gov/shmrn.ph...656&syn=gmz606

The Weather Channel: http://www.weather.com/outlook/trave...opnav_vacation

Safety: Each boat Captain is required to operate his / her vessel in a safe manner and is responsible for the safety of the crew and their safety. Familiarize yourself with BSAFE ( Boating Safety Association for Events ). Visit www.boatingsafe.org

Contact info: Bob cell: 239-776-0481. E mail: bobthebuilder(at)rogers.blackberry.net

2. Collapse Details

I will try to make this Bob. I just have to see.
    Will contact you guys later to confirm and sign up.

P
    Life is: what happens... when you plan something else.

3. Collapse Details

Peter- glad you are feeling well enough to make a run!

BobTheBuilder- my frickin idol! You are always on the water- good for you!!

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MarylandMark View Post

Thanks Mark, but bot sure yet. I have to wait and see. Got a few weeks left.

5. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I would go, but that's the same weekend as our Lake Michigan Fun Run from Holland to Chicago. Only 100 miles across the lake. Weather forecast is for highs in the 30's.

Wonder why no one's signed up?

(Envy, Envy......Wish I could go!!!)
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

6. Collapse Details
    20 boats and counting !!
    We have another great lineup of boats for this run as well. Should have 25 offshores or more by the 31st. Many recognizable names here.

By size, 20 confirmed, so far

30 Skater / appsyscons / Port Charlotte
    33 Baja / bajarick / Cape Coral
    33 Baja / NaplesBaja / Naples
    35 Formula / Rodney / Ft. Myers
    36 Cigarette CC / Corry Cooper / Cape Coral /
    36 Nortech Cat / Kenny Jensen / ON, Canada
    38 Baja / peterj / Cape Coral
    38 Cigarette / jmbtile / NJ
    38 Cigarette / US MUSL / Cape Coral
    38 Donzi ZR / Rob D'Angelo / Ft. Myers Beach
    38 Donzi ZR / Craig Barrie / Sarasota
    39 Sutphen / Bob Martin / Cape Coral
    39 Velocity / Velocity Tom / Ft. Myers
    40 Skater / the menace / Bonita Springs
    40 Skater / Paul Reddish / Naples
    41 Fountain / earthwerks / Chicago
    42 Outerlimits / ktrelfa / Ft. Myers Beach
    50 Nortech / bobthebuilder / Marco Island
    50 Nortech / Red Reynolds / Sarasota
    50 Nortech / Mark and Eileen Fisher / West Palm

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by PARADOX View Post
    I will try to make this Bob. I just have to see.
    Will contact you guys later to confirm and sign up.

P
    Peter, we would love to have you down for a run sometime. Probably a 2 hr. drive to the Punta Rassa boat ramp for you. Anything I can do to help make it happen, just let me know. There is no charge for your first run. We say try us and if you come back for another run, you must like us, so time to sign up. Boating memberships start at just $60.00. You get a tax receipt for $59.00 which is the charitable donation portion.
    Bob

8. Collapse Details
    MM / Ratickle
    Quote Originally Posted by MarylandMark View Post

Mark. If you ever get down our way, I will have a seat for you...... or maybe you'll have to stand, but you will be on the boat !!

Same for Ratickle or any of our fellow SeriousOffshore types.

Bob

9. Collapse Details

Saturday's fun run changed to Sunday Feb 1st.

We have made a decision based on the weather forecast to change the run from Saturday to Sunday, Feb. 1st. Departure time is still 11:00 AM from the Sanibel Bridge.
    The forecast temperature will be a much balmier 72 deg. and with an easterly onshore breeze the seas will be much friendlier. Naples Bay Resort cannot accommodate us on Sunday, so we have made arrangements to go to "Tavern on the Bay" also in Naples. We will have lunch, then have our 50/50 draw at 2:45PM, then depart shortly after as the "Tavern" needs to get ready for their super bowl party later in the day. The "Tavern" is located at Bayfront, near the Cabana Bar that we sometimes go to. That is a fun spot and I'm sure you will enjoy it.

We hope that this will still work for the majority of our group and apologize to those who cannot make it. Jeff from Freeze Frame was able to rebook the helicopter.

This change is in keeping with our policy, if we can't get a run in on Saturday we would do it the next day, weather provided.

Please feel free to contact me if necessary at 239-776-0481 or bobthebuilder@rogers.blackberry.net

Thank you,

Bob Barnhart
    Ft. Myers Offshore

10. Collapse Details

Dang it. Based on the weather, I put the boat in service to get that Merc recall thing fixed. I'm picking it up Monday PM.

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by PARADOX View Post
    Dang it. Based on the weather, I put the boat in service to get that Merc recall thing fixed. I'm picking it up Monday PM.
    Next time, Peter. We are doing runs in early March and April as well. Nothing planned in Feb. with the boat show etc. going on.

Bob

12. Collapse Details

Time to rock and roll, FMO. The Gulf front this morning. It has settled down nicely. BTW, don't forget your jacket. He, he. Very cool but sunny. Will warm up to low 70's.
    See y'all soon.
    Bob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Feb 1   09 023 [800x600].jpg   Feb 1   09 028 [800x600].JPG  

13. Collapse Details

I be very very very JEALOUS, sitting up here in frigid CT...temp. 25! Hope you guys had a great run.

14. Collapse Details

The day started off cool but by the time we got to Naples we could start stripping our clothes off. Well, some of them anyway.

The run was to have been on Saturday but with high wind and cool temps we decided to move it along one day. Unfortunately our boat count fell from 24 registered boats to 12. Understandable, since it was super bowl Sunday. Those that came out to play, were rewarded.

Ken Jensen who came down from Toronto, won over $350.00 in the 50 / 50 draw. The other half went into our clubs education foundation. Thank you as well to Terry Sobo, Baja Rick and John Costello who all made donations to the foundation even tho they were unable to make the run.

Bob Barnhart,
    Ft Myers Offshore

Here is a link to pictures of the run: http://www.seriousoffshore.com/forum...ead.php?t=3898