1. Collapse Details
    Bertram v Sutphen
    Just wondering - is there any connection between the designer of the 38 competition and the sutphen hulls? For my money they are quite similar - in the bow area in particular.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Beninana.jpg   My photos 2314.jpg  

2. Collapse Details

Founding Member Edward R. Cozzi's Avatar
    I don't know absolutely for sure, littlenige, but I doubt it. Richie Sutphen pretty much always designed his own stuff the way he wanted. I think the Bertram was a Hunt design or a derivative thereof. Brownie would be the best guy to ask on this one.
    Athiests better pray they're right.

3. Collapse Details

I don't see it.
    Taking Over the World One Thread at a Time
    The Penguin Cometh

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by littlenige View Post
    Just wondering - is there any connection between the designer of the 38 competition and the sutphen hulls? For my money they are quite similar - in the bow area in particular.
    If memory serves the Bertram was 221/2 Degrees and the Sutphen was 26 degrees at transom.
    Straight up strakes also on the Bertram I worked with their director of Racing before and heard many stories.
    Slippery when wet. PODLESS TUNNEL www.cheetahcat.com ,Repairs, Modifications and Truing Cheap reliable speed.

5. Collapse Details

Icon/Founding Member Top Banana's Avatar
    Rhode Island - Summers / Florida - Winters
    Nige...no connection at all.

Richie had a great little boat around 18 feet or so and just knid of blew it up to a 30 footer with a 26 degree V. It beat everything in the Production classes.

Bertram was always Open class boats and always much bigger....36 and 38 feet.
    Light travels faster than sound....that is why some people appear bright until we hear them speak!!

6. Collapse Details

Thanks for your responses gents. For my money both great looking boats with a similar bow.

7. Collapse Details

Betram has a 20 degree and stakes are banana shaped up to tip. You can see it your first post. Kevlar hulls also where the trick back then for Bertram.
    Mine weighs around 9,800 lbs wet. still heavy, but light for back then in the 70s.
    Any more ?s, will be a pleasure to answere.
    Later on
    Kurt
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kurt Groom Pictures from 1999 to 10-2008 064.jpg  

8. Collapse Details

Great looking boat Kurt - you are right about how wide the strakes were at the rear of the boat- plenty of lift - some say too much !

Good luck with the boat !

Here is a Photo from years ago - when I owned it -

PHIL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1644 (Medium).JPG  

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Bertram38 View Post
    Betram has a 20 degree and stakes are banana shaped up to tip. You can see it your first post. Kevlar hulls also where the trick back then for Bertram.
    Mine weighs around 9,800 lbs wet. still heavy, but light for back then in the 70s.
    Later on
    Kurt

Kurt,

Where do you usually run your boat?
    A great piece of history!

Jeff

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Bertram38 View Post
    Later on
    Kurt
    Banana shape? I thought they ran straight with the keel and did not wrap inward been a while,But! Reason is I built a 45 footer back in the 80's (Don Smith has it now) anyway my habit is to run the strakes straight so to drive the boat straight without bowsteer and the 22.5 was claimed by our draftsman to be what Bertram had,I should of checked it myself Now I am confused.
    Slippery when wet. PODLESS TUNNEL www.cheetahcat.com ,Repairs, Modifications and Truing Cheap reliable speed.