Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by phragle View Post
    The family of a convicted burglar who was electrocuted in 1997 when he tried to break in to a bar in Aurora after-hours and triggered a homemade booby trap has been awarded a $75,000 jury verdict to be paid by the owners of the bar and the property.

Frustrated after three burglaries at his tavern in a month, Jessie Ingram installed the homemade security system in late July 1997. He jury-rigged the inside of the bar's windows so anyone breaking in would get a strong shock, then posted several warning signs outside, including one outside the window Harris broke in through.

Drunk and high on cocaine, Harris, 37, either didn't see or ignored the warnings. He forced open a rear window and crawled in, triggering the homemade, electrified booby trap just five days after it was installed.

In a verdict returned Friday, jurors placed 50 percent of the blame for the death on Harris, but assigned the bar's owners 40 percent and placed 10 percent on the property's owner.

No criminal charges were filed.

Jurors weren't allowed to be told that Harris was drunk and on cocaine, nor that he had served time in prison for two burglary convictions.
    so with the limited information that was given to the jurors they come up with a settlement / verdict but what if the jurors are given all of the facts maybe the verdict would be totally different, do you not agree?

'When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading.'
    ~ Henny Youngman

2. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by itilldo View Post
    so with the limited information that was given to the jurors they come up with a settlement / verdict but what if the jurors are given all of the facts maybe the verdict would be totally different, do you not agree?
    Yes. The point being made is do not do anything that may give a prosecuter who wants to be in the spotlight any ammo to use against you. Even if you're right, it can cost you dearly.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    Yes. The point being made is do not do anything that may give a prosecuter who wants to be in the spotlight any ammo to use against you. Even if you're right, it can cost you dearly.
    I understood that, what I was trying to say is that the court system is not set up to protect us anymore but to fill lawyers pockets. If we would look back to our past one would be praised for protecting his property by his fellow citizens

'When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading.'
    ~ Henny Youngman

4. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by itilldo View Post
    I understood that, what I was trying to say is that the court system is not set up to protect us anymore but to fill lawyers pockets. If we would look back to our past one would be praised for protecting his property by his fellow citizens
    I know. The main issue I believe is.

Most Politicians were lawyers or judges.
    Most Judges were lawyers.
    Most lawyers have become unscrupulous to make money.

Heirarchy of Doom.

5. Collapse Details

Good stuff!

Took the GF out shooting the 9MM a month or so ago. Not a pretty sight- she was scared to death.

Tip- if shooting a multi-round gun for the 1st time; only load one round. She didn't under stand why I did this and didn't "mess up" but after shooting it a few times she got the picture. 1st shot in my gun takes a lot more trigger pressure than the rest of the rounds.