Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
  1. Collapse Details

dang but we've got a lot of collective professional knowledge around here; I've just learned some new stuff - thanks guys - Jeff
    People we meet in life are either a Blessing or a Lesson

2. Collapse Details

Bumping up an old thread to see if there's been any significant changes in the last six months. Some piece of sh!t broke in the house and stole all the TV's and game systems so I'm back to shopping again.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by ImaPoser View Post
    Bumping up an old thread to see if there's been any significant changes in the last six months. Some piece of sh!t broke in the house and stole all the TV's and game systems so I'm back to shopping again.
    Sorry to hear that. I really hate phucking theifs!!!!

4. Collapse Details

Well Pioneer Elite went away. However that void has been filled with a company called NuVision. Best looking LCD Tv I have EVER seen.
    If you want LCD, look hard at NuVision (They arn't cheap chit like the above)
    Also look at the LG - LED back lit sets. They look good, they have a full array of led's behind the screen and turn on / off as needed by the picture - nice. I still stand by my opinion of Samsung. I have them in stock because people gotta have them, their best (their claim too) is their new thin series. They too advertise LED lighting, but they are lit up same as conventional sets = the LED's are arranged around the edge of the picture. The model #'s start with UN (UN55B7000 as example). Again, I think they have some of the worst pictures, but like Obama; marketing has made them popular.

I also still prefer plasma - they have the best picture (exception is a NuVision set) and they are not putting band aids (60hz, 120hz, 240hz) trying to make the picture look ok. Look at an LCD and look at anything in the picture moving, the image gets soft, slightly blurry. That is because LCD technology was for computer screens. You won't have that problem with plasma.

When shopping, don't get get caught up in the numbers - 60hz, 120hz, 240hz, 720i, 1080p. Every manufacturer has a way to cheat so they can advertise a number. For example, on most sets (except NuVision) 120hz is really a 60hz picture with a blank picture inserted inbetween each frame , thus they can ADVERTISE 120hz. The average 120hz set works like this - a picture is displayed (one frame) then the set inserts a blank frame, then the next real frame is displayed, then another blank - and so on. So DON'T fall for it!

Short story = plasma has best picture, try to find a leftover Pioneer Elite, Can't find one - check out NuVision. Want to spend less? Same as above only look at LG plasma or LG LED back lit sets. Want to fall for the hype - buy a Samsung. BTW: I sell all of them except NuVision - but that is about to change. When shopping - go to a specialty store, the bix box stores steer you towards what they need to sell instead of what is best for you.

Ok - I'm done.
    BillR

5. Collapse Details

I am going to agree with Bill on the Plasma's being best. If you are a gamer then you have to go LCD. I am going to disagree with him on the Samsungs. I like the new UN series sets. They are not cheap however.

6. Collapse Details

I'll agree with both of you as I took the advice first time around and bought two 42" plasmas. The 26 was an LCD. I count on doing the same thing this time around. Last time I went with the intentions of getting 720 plasmas, but ended up with 1080 as there was such a small price difference in them at the level I was looking at.
    anybody sell them with GPS tracking chips in them?

7. Collapse Details

I ended up going with the 46 Sony Bravia 240 hz. It has been great so far. WSent with the LCD because of the glare issue in our house.
    SOS NINJA dancing on the boundaries of hell.

8. Collapse Details

I'm about to start my search

-37ish for the living room
    -22-26ish for the kitchen above the pantry door- they are even pitching "kitchen tv's" these days like a regular TV wouldn't work or some thing- has a FM tuner built in is the sales pitch.

Have a 50" Panasonic is the den and 32 Westinghouse LCD's in the bedrooms.

Thanks for all the info!

9. Collapse Details

Appleton, Wisconsin. Where we have 2 seasons... winter and road construction
    Quote Originally Posted by MarylandMark View Post
    I'm about to start my search

-37ish for the living room
    -22-26ish for the kitchen above the pantry door- they are even pitching "kitchen tv's" these days like a regular TV wouldn't work or some thing- has a FM tuner built in is the sales pitch.

Have a 50" Panasonic is the den and 32 Westinghouse LCD's in the bedrooms.

Thanks for all the info!
    I need a new kitchen TV, but not a "Kitchen TV"
    ________

10. Collapse Details

[QUOTE=Audiofn;295708 I am going to disagree with him on the Samsungs. I like the new UN series sets. They are not cheap however.[/QUOTE]

They are pricey! I have 2 of the UN series in my showroom. Spent a few hours trying to make them look good - I can't! I think they have some sort of clamping circuit on black levels. I calibrate and I still can't get them to look right.

Have you seen the new LG 60's? Don't know what they did this year - but WOW! Major improvement for a avg consumer TV.
    Last edited by BillR; 08-16-2009 at 09:11 PM.
    BillR

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by BY U BOY View Post
    I ended up going with the 46 Sony Bravia 240 hz. It has been great so far. WSent with the LCD because of the glare issue in our house.
    You bought a Samsung with a Sony label. Unless you got an XBR?
    I hope you have fun with it, the Sony does have a better processor in the W or Z series. But if you bought the V or S series, then the only difference is in the menu graphics, remote and paperwork.

http://www.cdr-info.com/sections/new...x?NewsId=25443

3ed paragraph
    http://www.electronista.com/articles...n.lcd.venture/
    BillR

12. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by BillR View Post
    They are pricey! I have 2 of the UN series in my showroom. Spent a few hours trying to make them look good - I can't! I think they have some sort of clamping circuit on black levels. I calibrate and I still can't get them to look right.

Have you seen the new LG 60's? Don't know what they did this year - but WOW! Major improvement for a avg consumer TV.
    I wonder if you got bad ones? The ones I got were very good out of the box. Quick tweek and then had the ISF guy (Jim Doolitel) one of the best in the coutry come over and we had very little issues getting it dead on the money. I have yet to see the new LG units. While I love to sell what is best for my customer at the same time I am in business to make money. LG does not offer that to me. If I sell one of there DVD players I make zero money. Not sure if you find the same thing or not. So I sell the Denon units that do have a better picture but also give me a few bucks at leaste. You loose the ability to Netflix but most of my customers can not figure that out anyhow.

13. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    So neither one of you like the true LED TV's Samsung has out now?
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

14. Collapse Details

I don't care for them.
    Best LCD picture I have ever seen is from NuVision! Think I am going to pick that line up.
    The full array LG LCD's look GREAT too.
    BillR

15. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BillR View Post
    I don't care for them.
    Best LCD picture I have ever seen is from NuVision! Think I am going to pick that line up.
    The full array LG LCD's look GREAT too.
    How does it compare with the Elite Plasma they discontinued?????

16. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by BY U BOY View Post
    looking for a 52" lcd 1080P 120HZ
    Model Number LN52A650
    Bought that exact model TV for myself a few months back... Great picture.
    I paid $1999 at Best Buy for it... caught a two day sale and got several hundred knocked off.

17. Collapse Details

i,m using the 46 samsung as a moniter way awesome the plasmas and other brands would not display text well i have no idea why just keep trying till i found one that worked the huge moniter is a lot of fun and worth every penny(if your connected to the whole world you might as well see it) nasa space station hd pics make it look like your looking out a big window into space its really neat

18. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by boostbros View Post
    i,m using the 46 samsung as a moniter way awesome the plasmas and other brands would not display text well i have no idea why just keep trying till i found one that worked the huge moniter is a lot of fun and worth every penny(if your connected to the whole world you might as well see it) nasa space station hd pics make it look like your looking out a big window into space its really neat
    Which model?

19. Collapse Details

I have a Samsung 46" 650 series and I love it. I also have a Elite Plasma. The Samsung has not had any issues so far. It had alot better picture out of the box then my plasma had. To my eye after they were both calibrated I can hardly tell the difference. I resecpt Bill's knowledge and if I would of had the info he has posted before I bought the Samsung I may have went with a different tv. But so far I am very happy with it. I guess time will tell what the quality is like on the Samsung.

20. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    How does it compare with the Elite Plasma they discontinued?????
    From what I could tell, they looked VERY similar! They brought in a 42" and we compared to a 50" signature. As you can tell by this thread - I am NOT a fan of LCD unless you have lighting issues.
    But this NuVision blew me away. (All my sales guys and calibrators were stunned too) They have a processor (most important part of the set) that is probably the best on the market. It shows!
    BillR