1. Collapse Details
    Dunkirk Updates - Heenan says council left out of boat contract, Refund?, Larry Biel Comments
    Blog Entries
    The Race World Offshore (RWO) contract between the city of Dunkirk and the organization was recently shared with the OBSERVER. In it, Dunkirk Mayor Wilfred Rosas signed the agreement with RWO President Larry Bleil. However, the contract was never put through the city council as per the city of Dunkirk Charter.

The charter states that “execution of all contracts, deeds, leases, franchises and any other written instruments authorized by the Common Council” is among the responsibilities of the mayor (3.02). The charter also states that the Council has “authorization for the execution of contracts, deeds, leases, permits, franchises, licenses and any other written instruments” (4.02).

According to Third Ward Councilman Shaun Heenan, who is running for mayor against Rosas, the contract for the boat race was never put through Common Council. Heenan though as did other members of the council that the boat race contract was a Dunkirk Local Development Corporation (DLDC) issue and thus out of the hands of the Council. However, nowhere within the contract is the DLDC mentioned.

“The city is the party to the contract,” City Attorney Richard Morrisroe stated at the Sept. 3 meeting of the Common Council. “We’re the one that sponsors the event. The DLDC is the 501c for donations that help fund or underwrite the event. The DLDC, which is related to city government, essentially works in companion with the city, to provide that funding as donations to these sponsors for the event.”

“It’s signed by the mayor of the city of Dunkirk, it refers to the city throughout it,” Heenan responded. “We know that the DLDC has a separate board and the chief executive officer of that board is the mayor. It only seems right to me, and we may agree to disagree, that since the mayor has signed this, in our city charter, we allow the mayor to execute all contracts and leases through a resolution. I could not find any resolution that gave the mayor the right to execute this contract.”

Morrisroe went on to state that he would have to look through the city’s records, but is sure that the Council did pass a resolution allowing the event.

“Well I’m pretty sure we didn’t. I don’t know where we go from there. To me that’s an abuse of the council,” Heenan said. “I never asked questions before, because I assumed that it was through the DLDC.”

The city of Dunkirk has one more boat race left in the current contract, however there is a clause that states that “to terminate a national race date, a written Notice of Termination must be in the main office in Key West, Florida (the home office of RWO) by Jan. 1, of each year.” This allows the city to cancel a race with what appears to be no penalty costs to the city.

There is also the option to renew, which is at the discretion of the city and RWO, under the same conditions contained in the agreement will receive a 5% increase each year, with the cost being passed on to the city. If the city and RWO choose to renew passed that, the same conditions of the contract apply. Meaning, if Dunkirk opts for a 2021 race, the cost to the city will be $131,250, 2022 will cost 137,500 and so forth, not including additional amenities, such as other complimentary activities in conjunction with the race (by approval of RWO) like a parade through the city and other parties.

https://www.observertoday.com/news/p...boat-contract/

2. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    BOAT RACES City must seek refund

The OBSERVER’s View

In April, the Dunkirk Common Council learned it was receiving about $225,000 from Market New York to help fund the Great Lakes Grand Prix event that took place last weekend. It was a significant chunk of change.

But in the aftermath of last week’s pathetic turnout — in terms of the numbers of boats participating — city leaders need to put Race World Offshore on notice. It put on an event that may have called in kayaks they were so desperate for a watercraft race.

As noted in Friday’s edition, boat-racing experts knew what happened in Dunkirk was a “non-event.” Yet the price tag for the exhibition was about $300,000.

Some council members privately say the city is wasting money on some appointed positions. That may be the case, but a lot of dough has been spent on an event that could not even deliver on what it did last year.

City leaders, including sluggish council members, need to demand a refund or look to discontinue its relationship with this organization. It may be a Dunkirk Local Development Corp. initiative, but it ultimately is a black eye on the city.

https://www.observertoday.com/opinio...t-seek-refund/

3. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Change in dates can help city boat race flourish

Commentary - Larry Bleil

editorial@observertoday.com

It was a race in Dunkirk — and the comments from Speedonthewater.com were not correct. Those have been generated from our competitors.

The Dunkirk event is coming off back-to-back races in St. Clair, Mich., and Michigan City, Ind., which cause difficulty moving equipment for the third week in a row. This is a venue that is wanted and can be a major event.

We need to look at the dates on existing schedules and come up with the dates that work for the future. We offered the highest purse in offshore racing and because of many of these factors they still could not make this race.

The boats from each class that raced in Dunkirk received points for their positions and will be added to the Clearwater race next month and total out after the Key West Races in November for a National Championship.

The city and Race World Offshore have taken a criticism from certain factions of this city, and it is not fair for the city staff, all the people involved, and the boats that made the effort to travel great distances to participate. After the races, everyone I talked with were excited and had a good time and said thank you. Why such criticism now?

I feel all the negativity has been blown way out of proportion by critics in the city that are attacking the mayor. You have a city government that is only trying to do the best for the city.

Does everyone there want things to continue like they have been for the past 30 years?

I think the city is changing. Going after changes sometimes has consequences, but you learn from them; see what can be changed to make it better.

We have learned that for this event to thrive, we need to look at a different date. You can’t have three races in a row across the country and expect to have a high boat count. I have discussed this with the mayor and he agrees.

I think you have one of the best city staff and mayors working for you. It’s very easy to sit back and complain and another to make things happen for your community.

Larry Bleil is founder of Race World Offshore, LLC.

https://www.observertoday.com/opinio...race-flourish/

4. Collapse Details

Fake News Out of Southern California ??????

LOL HA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA .

5. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Did you click on the links and read some of the comments?
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

6. Collapse Details

yes I did . but the Pelosi thing was too much fun too ignore

7. Collapse Details

Blog Entries

Definitely some interesting comments.

8. Collapse Details

LARRY has no idea how to run a race site.

a sunday race takes months of preparation.
    and during that time as officials are elected fired ,new ones put in place ,
    it all changes again .
    this happens always.
    larry was just one of a group who called themselves a
    n org. they were not .they knew nothing of what it took to secure a site, police ,traffic ,fire dpmt,insurance on a dozen different things,
    parking .logistics, drones ,is the area cell phone worthy,
    bouy lines ,swim lines setting pins.safety boats . tents ,chairs ,food for staff, hotel for staff , plane fare for staff.
    perdium.too much to write down.
    he knows none of it.and now he has the ball in the big game and doesn't know if should run pass or punt lol

9. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Fumbleruski????

10. Collapse Details

I see its another RWO blackout by the two camera boys that normally post pics on all races .
    I never cared for the cocky one anyway But im surprised that Jeff Gerardi is on that train?

11. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by john acosta View Post
    I see its another RWO blackout by the two camera boys that normally post pics on all races .
    I never cared for the cocky one anyway But im surprised that Jeff Gerardi is on that train?
    Boden and Gerardi are both in Clearwater. They will post when they get a chance.

12. Collapse Details

I hope so.
    I really do.
    Im happy being wrong

13. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    I'm trying to watch both live on the internet.

RWO is having major broadcast issues.

14. Collapse Details

oops
    Last edited by john acosta; 09-30-2019 at 09:07 AM.

15. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    That's one heck of an edit!

16. Collapse Details

sorry .I need to keep my opinions to myself .
    I get to involved .lol

17. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Some opinions, definitely not all!

18. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Rosas says city goals for boat race met

Dunkirk Mayor Wilfred Rosas, responding to criticism last week regarding the contract with Race World Offshore for the August boat competition, said in statement this week that the event accomplished the three major goals set by his adminstration.

“As far as I am concerned the boat race was a success, period,” the mayor said, countering remarks made by Shaun Heenan, current Third Ward councilman who is opposing Rosas for the city’s top spot. Heenan, in an OBSERVER article last week, stated the council and the Dunkirk Local Development Corp. had no say in the contract between the city and Race World Offshore.

However, a letter in today’s edition from Council members Martin Bamonto and Michael Civiletto — both Democrats — state Heenan’s comments were “purely political.”

“Mayor Rosas not only discussed (the race) at length in the 2018 budget meetings, but there were several resolutions brought to council for approval regarding various aspects of this event,” the councilmen say in the letter on Page A5.

Putting the dispute aside, Rosas said the main goals of the race included: Bringing people to Dunkirk to visit the waters; to showcase the waterfront — including having national telecast of the event through CBS Sportsnetwork; and to provide area merchants and businesses additional foot traffic during the weekend.

“City funds were not used to bring the boat race here,” Rosas said. “What we used was state funding and sponsorship funds. … The only city funds used for this event were to provide public safety, which include the police, fire and Department of Public Works.”

Rosas estimated the event cost to the city, which has a $23 million budget, is under $10,000 in overtime costs. He said that money was budgeted as part of the 2019 fiscal plan. “In my opinion, that’s a good deal for the city of Dunkirk,” he said.

Dunkirk’s Grand Prix event came under criticism this past August for sparse numbers of boats in the competition. Race World Offshore officials earlier this month said those numbers were due to other speedboat races taking place the week before the city event.

Rosas said Dunkirk is open to choosing a different time other than the third weekend in August for 2020. “We are going to sit down to make sure we pick the right date. … It has to do with the racers who are coming, who want to be here,” Rosas said. “If they’re involved in another race the week before, it makes it harder for them to be here.”

https://www.observertoday.com/news/p...boat-race-met/

19. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    Some opinions, definitely not all!
    So if I agree its ok ,? If not Well ?????????????????

20. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    We allow anything, as if it's in your front room discussing with friends, except racism and personal attacks.

So you don't need to keep your opinions to yourself, and we wouldn't want you to.