1. Collapse Details
    Cowes Race 2020...Are you ready???
    Icon/Founding Member Top Banana's Avatar
    Rhode Island - Summers / Florida - Winters
    HORBA is planning a very memorable trip.....and you are invited!
    Every year since 1960 or so, the very last open ocean race is held at the end of August in England. The Cowes - Torquay race.
    Next year 2020, HORBA is putting together a trip from the USA over to England for the race. Next year's race will be held August 29, 30, 31.
    We are speaking with British Airways to achieve some easy ways to make this trip possible and affordable. You can book your travel with HORBA with just a $100.00 deposit and you pay off the balance over the remaining time with the final payment due 30 days before travel.
    At this time we are asking how many people would be interested in going. I have already spoken to some of the Legends, and they are ready to return to the scene of the many American victories over the years. Please come and join us and hear the stories right from the source.
    The final ticket costs will depend on the size of the group. So if you are interested at all, let me know either on this page or email me at horba.charlie@gmail.com
    Once we have an idea of the size of the group, we will begin working on land travel. We land in London at Heathrow airport, then down to Southampton for the Red Funnel Ferry over to the Isle of Wight, Cowes.
    The total time for the trip will probably be 6 to 7 days. Mores specifics later.

Are you ready to make some great memories???
    Light travels faster than sound....that is why some people appear bright until we hear them speak!!

2. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Definitely going to look into this!!!
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

3. Collapse Details

Cowes race party August 29, 30, 31, 2020 in Cowes

OK, up-date report. The current count is just over 40 people.

We are now getting into more specific areas such as ....of the 40 potential people who want to go...How many are going alone and how many will be a party of 2 or 3.

We are finding that with the bus back and forth from London Heathrow LHR to Southampton, they just quoted us a rate per person and that is that, the same with the ferry from Southampton over to Cowes and return. . BUT....when it gets to hotel rooms we can't just say we have 40 people, so give us 20 hotel rooms. So at this point I need a count of how many people in your party will need one or more rooms. Mike S. I have you down for 3 as of now, do you want an cart in one room or do you want another room for the third person?

Also.... in August of next year, would you prefer to fly out of JFK in New York or Miami in Florida?

Please let me now either on Facebook or email to me at charlie.horba@gmail.com. At this rate, we should have a rough estimate of the cost of the trip in about one more week.
    Light travels faster than sound....that is why some people appear bright until we hear them speak!!

4. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Make sure to keep us informed as you find out the facts!

5. Collapse Details

Sorry guys, we could not get the number of people interested by the date set for an airline group rate.

We had a 10 day trip for $2,900 odd dollars and but was probably too far ahead for people to commit to.

August 2020 is the race date. Hope to see some single trippers over there next summer. The English provide the best hospitality and they love the sport of offshore racing so much.

6. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor MOBILEMERCMAN's Avatar
    https://cowestorquaycowes.co.uk/cowes-winners/

Interesting display of boats.

7. Collapse Details

LOTS of interesting boats

8. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor MOBILEMERCMAN's Avatar
    An old friend of mine grew up in his family's marina where many old race boats were cared for. He was 16 in the engine box of Satisfaction.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Satisfaction in sling.JPG 
Views:	8 
Size:	2.20 MB 
ID:	91039Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Satisfaction Jon.JPG 
Views:	8 
Size:	2.93 MB 
ID:	91040

Those old Mercury Open class race engines were SO COOL!
    /
    not sure why the loaded upside down. When you click on them they appear correctly. Go figure?

9. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    That is really weird....

I'll blame Bobcat and his Outerlimits adjustments.