Thread: Maltese vin #

1. Collapse Details
    Maltese vin #
    I have a 100% origional Maltese vin#Mag280851076, it has a bowrail and teak trim and a side mount boarding ladder, never seen any of this on any photos I've looked at of other Malteses. Would greatly appreciate any info anyone can give me. Thanks

2. Collapse Details

Wild guess it was the 8th 28 made, and was built between August 1, 1975 and July 31, 1976. If that is the boat I think it is, it was made from the Aronow Era 27.
    Rounded deck? This and the other differences may separate it from 27s you have seen, whether the sedans or sport boats.

Good luck.

3. Collapse Details

Fund Razor, Thankyou for the info, found a picture of "EH" and there's the bowrail! Bought this boat 22 years because I thought it was gorgeous and planned to refurbish it but it got put aside for various reasons. It's still just as pretty as when we first laid eyes on it, didn't realize how special untouched models of these were. We're going to bring it back to new with just some mild engine mods and cruise in "Style"! Might hit you up for Trs 2 rebuild info. Once again Thankyou! Smo'

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Shoo-in View Post
    Fund Razor, Thankyou for the info, found a picture of "EH" and there's the bowrail! Bought this boat 22 years because I thought it was gorgeous and planned to refurbish it but it got put aside for various reasons. It's still just as pretty as when we first laid eyes on it, didn't realize how special untouched models of these were. We're going to bring it back to new with just some mild engine mods and cruise in "Style"! Might hit you up for Trs 2 rebuild info. Once again Thankyou! Smo'
    Always nice to hear of someone restoring a classic offshore. I wouldn't be the TRS guy, but other guys here can help. Good luck. Post pics.

5. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor MOBILEMERCMAN's Avatar
    TRS suggestion. Do not discard anything. Protect what you have . Store with new moisture free lube. Very few parts are still available. No shafts. No upper housings. No lower bearing carriers. Some O rings. Only one of two upper gears available last look. No left hand lower gears available. Many bearings still available from merc. Remaining can be purchased by matching numbers on cups and bearings. About half shims needed are NLA.

Would not hurt to keep your eyes out for some used complete fresh water units.

6. Collapse Details

Thanks! That's not really what I wanted to hear but thanks for the heads up, should I consider replacing them completely with newer units? Smo'

7. Collapse Details

Thats a decision you should make. I have an 85 10 Meter with TRS drives. There is a lucky and perfect thread in the fountain section. I have driven many boats as a Mercruiser tech for 40 odd years. I like TRS, I like borg warner trannies and how they operate. I like that my boat is original as brochured. My intention was to keep it true to date and as produced. Many people have suggested to me to change it to Bravos. I never even considered it. I am the second owner of mine and I got it operational. I also have been buying up trs's when I find them at an attractive price. I bought a nice pair last year for $2500.

8. Collapse Details

You should share some pictures of yours. I used to see a 72 or 3 27' Magnum sitting on a lift at a marina where I worked. It was as produced. It was a special boat. Owner said it supposedly had the first TRS 's on it.

9. Collapse Details

By "other guys" I meant Jim. I was hoping he would drop by.

10. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I sent Bud an email. Hopefully he will have a chance to review and respond.
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

11. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    And we still need some pics!!!

12. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    And we still need some pics!!!
    Powers at be won't let me post, not sure why. Will keep trying, might have to e-mail to one of y'all to post.

Got in touch with Iconic and they were all gone for the weekend but Roxanne said she would talk to everyone Monday morning about the Trs drives. Thanks to all, we're off to the races! Smo'

13. Collapse Details

Paul finally got to Shoo-in's request on his Magnum Maltese. Keel laid on 11/30/76, and was the 85th one built out of !00.sold to a Robert Watkins. It was White, had 350's and standard TRS setup, which means it had Merc.transmissions.Borg Warner transmissions are a better match however unable to swap them out due to the availability of room between the engines and the transmisson bulkhead. You would have to revise the entire engine bay, not worth it. There are a few people who can rebuild them if needed. Mell Riggs in Wisc. and he has replacement parts. There is a company on the west coast. However, they have limited parts as I understand.
    Your question on extras to the boat, guard rails, additional teak, etc. Any Magnum could be ordered the way you wanted it. Also if you post pictures, I will be able to see if you are missing any hardware, which I have available to Magnum people. Need to put out new catalog, Godaddy deleted my original one and have not the time to replace it.
    Shoo-in where are located. My email address is budweisner65@yahoo.com Ph.312-607-3115 contact me if you have any questions. Bud

14. Collapse Details

Odd that it wasn't titled a 77 if it was laid that late in the year.

15. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by fund razor View Post
    Odd that it wasn't titled a 77 if it was laid that late in the year.
    I have no Idea why they did some of those things. I have found a number of anomalies in some of the records from Magnum.

Also, I have received some photos on the Magnum, having a problem of transferring them. Here are twoClick image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03908.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	86489Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03964.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	77.6 KB 
ID:	86490

16. Collapse Details

Cool Boat...I like that old Ford Pick up too !!
    Parabellum FJ²B

17. Collapse Details

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thumbnail.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	42.8 KB 
ID:	86491 one more

18. Collapse Details

Bud, Thanks for all of your effort!! You are the real deal. Bobcat, Ford is her's, she gets it. Ratickle, haven't heard back from Bower's yet, thanks for that info and will let you know right after I get an answer. I'm thinking post boat show can be chaotic at that place! Smo'

19. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Both Bud and Jim, (Mobilemercman), will give you advice you can follow without hesitation.

Keep us informed. If you can't get ahold of Bower's, let us know and I'll find out what's going on.

20. Collapse Details

Very cool boat.